Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 Kernel Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since January 2020 we have been having center screen issues with our 2016 Model S. It would frequently reboot, freeze, and have lines across the display. In June 2020 the FSD computer was installed in our car. In October 2020 the eMMC was replaced under warranty. Our screen issues have only gotten worse since the eMMC was replaced. The most recent update I got from the Service Center is that they've traced the issues to a kernel code issue. They told me that there are only 2 employees within all of Tesla that can write kernel code for MCU1 so they may never be able to solve the issues.

I'm not a programmer, so I'm wondering why replacing the MCU or whichever internal computer houses the kernel code wouldn't solve the issue if our car has issues in the kernel code. Why wouldn't replacing whichever computer has the corrupted code solve the screen issues?

Reactions: Tezzie
I had the same problem, and the Service center couldn't duplicate the problem. I haven't experienced it since the latest firmware update--which in itself created problems that had to be repaired remotely by Tesla's service team. All is well now--so far.

I had the same problem, and the Service center couldn't duplicate the problem. I haven't experienced it since the latest firmware update--which in itself created problems that had to be repaired remotely by Tesla's service team. All is well now--so far.
Which firmware is working well for you after the repair? We're currently on 2020.40.9.2. We had 2020.36.11 when the eMMC was replaced. Since they replaced the eMMC we could no longer connect to wifi, so finally Tesla pushed 2020.40.9.2 to us over LTE & it has improved things, but we still have lots of screen issues.

Reactions: Tezzie