Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 NHTSA Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would the recall by the NHTSA for the ~150,000 Tesla Model S and X be extended to Canada as well? I haven’t heard about any recall in Canada for these sceens, just the warranty extension program that was mentioned by Tesla a few months ago

Unclear. There is speculation that it only affects the US models. I believe it would take some effort by the Canadian government to push for a similar recall here. Thus far, Tesla hasn't responded to the request, so it's a matter of wait and see.

Would the recall by the NHTSA for the ~150,000 Tesla Model S and X be extended to Canada as well? I haven’t heard about any recall in Canada for these sceens, just the warranty extension program that was mentioned by Tesla a few months ago
NHTSA is USA-only.

Tesla *should* recall all impacted vehicles. But as their previous behavior dictates, they won’t. A regulatory body will need to force their hand.

There isn't a recall yet. NHTSA has asked Tesla to do a voluntary recall. Tesla still has to respond to the request, they could respond with an explanation of why they think it isn't necessary.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Unclear. There is speculation that it only affects the US models. I believe it would take some effort by the Canadian government to push for a similar recall here. Thus far, Tesla hasn't responded to the request, so it's a matter of wait and see.
What do you mean that "it only affects US models" Do you mean the recall product? Or the actual problem which is that the eMMC has a finite number of cycles? I have to think that Canadian models have the same technical issue.

Yes, I imagine the Canadian counterpart of the NHTSA will look at what is happening in the US.

But that isn't really my question which is this - "Do Canadian models have the component which is the core of this problem?"

Reactions: mrElbe
Yes, I imagine the Canadian counterpart of the NHTSA will look at what is happening in the US.

But that isn't really my question which is this - "Do Canadian models have the component which is the core of this problem?"
yes they do, you'll find many members in the forum who have had the MCU fail in Canada, and get a replacement either in or out of warranty in canada

Yes. There isn’t a different emmc or MCU for Canada. They are the same across the product line.

All very interesting...I filed a report with Transport Canada last July 6th when our MS 85D MCU packed it in while in Calgary. Saturday morning we were to head back to Vancouver, luckily we detoured to the local Tesla showroom. No service staff in on Saturday, sales staff had no clue what I was talking about. Screen came back up after an hour, but we had no NAV, no AC and no turn signals, despite the Roadside Assistance people saying it was drivable. No technical phone service available on the weekend. Made in back to Vancouver and had a MCU2 installed in a week (refurb MCU1 was cheaper, but 6 weeks away).
Long story short, Transport Canada called today, left a voicemail, wants to talk and ask some questions. I would encourage Canadian drivers to file a complaint toTransport Canada’s Defect Investigations and Recalls Division.
I will update you next week.

I just booked a service appointment for mine as I am increasingly concerned I am on the verge of failure. Screen is now shutting itself of about once a week (restart takes 4-7 minutes). When using Spotify, screen touch doesn’t work at all about 15% of the time, browser is 100% useless, 100% of the time. When putting in an address into Nav, can take 30 seconds to 1 minute before planning route.

I have a feeling that is important to create a paper trail because my history with Tesla service is that they don’t often do the right thing immediately.