Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 NHTSA Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. Spoke to a fellow from Transport Canada this morning. Basically just asked me to review the experience when the MCU1 acted up. Seem to be investigating this as a result of the interest in the US over this being brought up. He mentioned whether this is a safety issue is debatable. Also mentioned there have just been 15 reports made to them regarding MCU1 failure. That seems a tad under reported if you ask me.
Hoping there is some sort of consideration by Tesla for those who were left with little option but to upgrade to MCU2 to keep their car on the road. I guess this is what being an "early adopter" feels like.

Update. Spoke to a fellow from Transport Canada this morning. Basically just asked me to review the experience when the MCU1 acted up. Seem to be investigating this as a result of the interest in the US over this being brought up. He mentioned whether this is a safety issue is debatable. Also mentioned there have just been 15 reports made to them regarding MCU1 failure. That seems a tad under reported if you ask me.
Hoping there is some sort of consideration by Tesla for those who were left with little option but to upgrade to MCU2 to keep their car on the road. I guess this is what being an "early adopter" feels like.
I don’t think it’s underreported. This isn’t common, it depends on read/write cycles more than anything else. The only reason it’s concern is because in theory, all of the cars affected COULD develop this issue.

For those interested, I had my appointment this morning with Tesla for my screen rebooting, Spotify not working, browser not working and Nav taking ages to find addresses. I got a message on my app last night that my “daughter board is not failing, however your home folder was full”, which they apparently cleared. Essentially, they cancelled my appointment and told me to buzz off or, kick the can further down the road so that when my MCU1 does fail, it won’t be covered.

I sort of expected this from Tesla so my plan will be to schedule an appointment every time my screen automatically reboots, or Spotify won’t work or it is just generally not fully functional. When I do encounter full failure, I will point to all of the problems and how far they stem back. My experience is that Tesla only really understands the language of litigation, so I am starting the process of papering my file.

The 2k makes it tempting to me but the loss of AM/FM radio is a killer. I listen to Spotify about 60% of the time but I do listen to local radio the rest + the odd Leafs game.

With an AP1 car you don't gain dashcam or a sentry mode that's not a joke. I do. I think now it's a no-brainer. I also think they're doing this because they foresee a recall.

The 2k makes it tempting to me but the loss of AM/FM radio is a killer. I listen to Spotify about 60% of the time but I do listen to local radio the rest + the odd Leafs game.
There is a $500US antenna work around (mentioned near the bottom of the Tesla Infotainment bulletin) that will get back FM and SXM - but not AM. I've always found that the AM signal comes in poorly if you are 5-10 km away from the city anyways, so I stream the Jays or Argos (NOT the Leafs, I'm a Habs fan).

With an AP1 car you don't gain dashcam or a sentry mode that's not a joke. I do. I think now it's a no-brainer. I also think they're doing this because they foresee a recall.
Oh shoot, the service center told me that the $1500 MCU upgrade DOES NOT include the upgrade to a FSD computer any more. They were doing this before, I guess as a way to reduce the number of AP2 and AP2.5 cars out there and reduce the development team, but with the recall and the price reduction they took that out of the package...

Needless to say, I'm not upgrading any more.

Has anyone in Canada (specifically Ontario/GTA) heard from Tesla for scheduling the eMMC daughterboard replacements?

I received the recall notice/update in March, but not a peep since. My 2016 S UI is VERY slow and would love to have that get solved. It feels like using an iPhone 3GS over the EDGE network in terms of response and loading times..

Not interested in shelling out 2k for the MCU update at this time.

Has anyone in Canada (specifically Ontario/GTA) heard from Tesla for scheduling the eMMC daughterboard replacements?

I received the recall notice/update in March, but not a peep since. My 2016 S UI is VERY slow and would love to have that get solved. It feels like using an iPhone 3GS over the EDGE network in terms of response and loading times..

Not interested in shelling out 2k for the MCU update at this time.
Yes, I did the free daughterboard upgrade on my 2014 non AP S a couple months ago. They did it as a ranger service too, which was much more convenient for me. I'd just book an app't in the App and see what they say. Messages thru the app seem to get returned much quicker than phone calls or emails, for me anyway.