Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 owners: what should we expect from our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eventually I imagine they'll have to do exactly this. But they'll wait til the last possible minute to force as many as possible to upgrade on their own dime.

You're gonna be waiting a good long while yet.
I mean, I bought the car based on the since-deleted (but preserved by us thankfully) FSD video and marketing material. None of that has been delivered and I’m entering year 7 with the car. At some point, the goodwill gives way to litigation. I hope that someone at Tesla starts to see the benefit of taking action now to avoid the significantly larger liability around the corner.

I mean, I bought the car based on the since-deleted (but preserved by us thankfully) FSD video and marketing material. None of that has been delivered and I’m entering year 7 with the car. At some point, the goodwill gives way to litigation. I hope that someone at Tesla starts to see the benefit of taking action now to avoid the significantly larger liability around the corner.

I also have a December 2016 Model S and I know the plight all too well. ;)

I get we’ve all got a choice to make here and have to decide for ourselves what we want from the car and what we’re willing to do to make that happen.

For what it’s worth, I upgraded to MCU2 two years ago at the high water price of $2500 and even knowing what I do now I’d do it again without a moment of hesitation. Not because of Netflix or any of the games garbage that I never use, but because the general interactivity, responsiveness, and overall UX is better in every way, and I spend a lot of time in my car.

For me, I decided it’s not worth depriving myself in the name of some notion of principle to make Tesla “pay up” and give me what they promised on hardware that was never up to the task. Tesla doesn’t care, and they’re not going to. They’ll do the “right thing” when they have literally no other choice, and I think you’re massively overestimating any “significantly larger” liability they might experience down the road. They’ve no doubt done the math and decided this is the most financially prudent course of action.

Is it worth lawyering up to make a faceless, remorseless corporation pay up after years of BS? Not to me but YMMV and I don’t judge or fault you for that decision. But if you’ve been waiting for FSD for six years and really want it, another $2k is really a drop in the bucket. We aren’t getting any younger and “6 months definitely” has come and gone 10 times over at this point. ;)

I also have a December 2016 Model S and I know the plight all too well. ;)

I get we’ve all got a choice to make here and have to decide for ourselves what we want from the car and what we’re willing to do to make that happen.

For what it’s worth, I upgraded to MCU2 two years ago at the high water price of $2500 and even knowing what I do now I’d do it again without a moment of hesitation. Not because of Netflix or any of the games garbage that I never use, but because the general interactivity, responsiveness, and overall UX is better in every way, and I spend a lot of time in my car.

For me, I decided it’s not worth depriving myself in the name of some notion of principle to make Tesla “pay up” and give me what they promised on hardware that was never up to the task. Tesla doesn’t care, and they’re not going to. They’ll do the “right thing” when they have literally no other choice, and I think you’re massively overestimating any “significantly larger” liability they might experience down the road. They’ve no doubt done the math and decided this is the most financially prudent course of action.

Is it worth lawyering up to make a faceless, remorseless corporation pay up after years of BS? Not to me but YMMV and I don’t judge or fault you for that decision. But if you’ve been waiting for FSD for six years and really want it, another $2k is really a drop in the bucket. We aren’t getting any younger and “6 months definitely” has come and gone 10 times over at this point. ;)
Great points especially the last. Thankfully I’ve got plenty in life that has kept me occupied over those years so all good there. I think the exposure for Tesla is when one of us with the means decides not to settle individually and sign the NDA, but instead engage/fund class oriented counsel. Probably will perform better than most of my other investments in the days ahead lol.

Reactions: ucmndd
Great points especially the last. Thankfully I’ve got plenty in life that has kept me occupied over those years so all good there. I think the exposure for Tesla is when one of us with the means decides not to settle individually and sign the NDA, but instead engage/fund class oriented counsel. Probably will perform better than most of my other investments in the days ahead lol.
Class action, huh? Enjoy that check for $4.37 they send. Source: I just got a check for $4.37 yesterday from a PayPal class action for my trouble. I bet the lawyers got richer though.

Someone explain please:
If you bought a 2017 mcu1 model S and paid for FSD as part of the initial purchase, are you now unable to use FSD if you wanted to? The beta of FSD is now available to "anyone (with the hardware for it) who asks." I thought if you at any point purchased FSD, that they would upgrade your AP hardware to the required spec once FSD was released. Seems to me they should upgrade your hardware if you are asking for FSD and have paid for it.
I mean, if I buy FSD right now as an add-on to my 2017 S75, would that $15k purchase not include an upgrade to my hardware (I have APHW3 = nvidia gpu)?

I mean, if I buy FSD right now as an add-on to my 2017 S75, would that $15k purchase not include an upgrade to my hardware (I have APHW3 = nvidia gpu)?
A pre-August 2017 S needs the following hardware upgrades for the FSD beta to work:

Autopilot computer to HW3 (free if you bought FSD)
Infotainment upgrade to MCU2 ($1750-2250, you pay)
Autopilot camera upgrades (free if you bought FSD)

Infotainment upgrade to MCU2 ($1750-2250, you pay)
Interesting. Is the implication here that FSD should still work, even without the MCU2 upgrade, but that it will be a less-than-ideal visual experience? Or will FSD not function at all w/o the upgraded MCU? If the latter, then I'd say they need to pony up. But I also somewhat agree with those who've said it's not worth the fight.

Interesting. Is the implication here that FSD should still work, even without the MCU2 upgrade, but that it will be a less-than-ideal visual experience?
Nobody knows, at least nobody outside of Tesla.

Personally I think there's next to zero likelihood that they ever release any FSD build for MCU1. They will continue to kick the can as long as possible. MCU1 can barely calculate navigation directions these days, let alone provide timely and accurate data to the autopilot computer.

Reactions: EbS-P and dbldwn02
Nobody knows, at least nobody outside of Tesla.

Personally I think there's next to zero likelihood that they ever release any FSD build for MCU1. They will continue to kick the can as long as possible. MCU1 can barely calculate navigation directions these days, let alone provide timely and accurate data to the autopilot computer.
Um- nope

MCU1 with AP1 is a winning combo.

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Someone explain please:
If you bought a 2017 mcu1 model S and paid for FSD as part of the initial purchase, are you now unable to use FSD if you wanted to? The beta of FSD is now available to "anyone (with the hardware for it) who asks." I thought if you at any point purchased FSD, that they would upgrade your AP hardware to the required spec once FSD was released. Seems to me they should upgrade your hardware if you are asking for FSD and have paid for it.
Anyone with 2017 MCU1 who paid for FSD by now has AP hardware that allows their car to stop automatically at traffic lights and stop signs, as well as continue through intersections that have green lights provided a car ahead has passed through the intersection. That's it.

This.

While there is no "official" word on it yet, I seriously doubt the new FSD stack (beta) will run on MCU1.
I guess this is the crux of my question - I did not think that FSD "required" MCU for anything. MCU provides the visualizations, but those are not "required" for AP/FSD, right? The FSD computer does the heavy lifting, and that (AP computer upgrade) is included in the price of FSD. So, as long as the correct cameras are present, I would think that FSD could run with MCU1 (or even without an MCU at all) so long as visualizations were turned off. After all, it's supposed to be more or less autonomous. In that world, you don't even need a steering wheel or pedals. LOL.

So what does the MCU do, that FSD "needs" in order to function?