Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 owners: what should we expect from our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much and how time critical the info is I do not know.

I am pretty sure the cameras feed through the MCU (e.g. they are not directly connected to the AP computer). If MCU1 is too slow for Sentry to function properly, I have serious doubts that it can render information fast enough for the AP computer to make decisions. Of course, I could be completely wrong also :)

On a somewhat related note, today I got a message on the behind the wheel screen to replace the low voltage battery. I used the app to schedule service. The service update from Tesla is that I will also get the eMMC replacement during a mobile service. Appointment is scheduled for Monday which is impressive.

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02
On a somewhat related note, today I got a message on the behind the wheel screen to replace the low voltage battery. I used the app to schedule service. The service update from Tesla is that I will also get the eMMC replacement during a mobile service. Appointment is scheduled for Monday which is impressive.
I got the same addition to the appointment I scheduled this week.

I have consistently declined the eMMC replacement after reading some reports on this forum of damages that owners believe were caused by that service, b/c the dashboard needs to be taken apart.

Also a report of damaged wood trim pieces here:

Reactions: what-mmc-recal
I have consistently declined the eMMC replacement after reading some reports on this forum of damages that owners believe were caused by that service, b/c the dashboard needs to be taken apart.
Don't know which car you have, but is it affected by the airbag recall? Has it been done?
They have to take the dash apart to do this. Would be a good time to do both if not. If it has then there is proof your dash has already been taken apart and no damage is present.

Model S Safety Update | Tesla Support

Don't know which car you have, but is it affected by the airbag recall? Has it been done?
They have to take the dash apart to do this. Would be a good time to do both if not. If it has then there is proof your dash has already been taken apart and no damage is present.

Model S Safety Update | Tesla Support
Thanks for this info. Looks like the airbag was done under previous ownership, b/c the only open recall on my 2014 car is the eMMC. Are you saying that if the dash has already been opened up before, there's essentially no risk to letting them open it up again?

For me, it's really the trust factor given the high turnover of TSC techs. I have let Electrified Garage open up my dashboard for other repairs.

Thanks for this info. Looks like the airbag was done under previous ownership, b/c the only open recall on my 2014 car is the eMMC. Are you saying that if the dash has already been opened up before, there's essentially no risk to letting them open it up again?

For me, it's really the trust factor given the high turnover of TSC techs. I have let Electrified Garage open up my dashboard for other repairs.
Well, you never know who is going to wrench on your car when you bring it in to a large service business. Just take pictures before, and insist you are very picky and will be checking, then they will hopefully have the most careful techs do the work, and not the guy who just started the week before and has never done the procedure. I think you will be fine, worst case scenario you have a scratched trim and they will have to replace it if you have pictures to prove it wasn't there before.

I have taken mine apart several times, it really isn't that big of a deal to do it.

It's really more of a computer than a car. The MCU1 hardware is actually from 2011 which is ancient. When I had my MCU1 replaced due to failure, Tesla installed a new one and reset everything. It was maybe a little faster, but barely. Yeah, we can say Tesla should optimize their code better, not bloat it up with features we don't want, etc. but in the end there's not much we can do about it short of hacking it to strip out everything we deem unnecessary. I chose MCU2 instead, even if it cost me $1500. As it directly affects how I interact with the car in a meaningful way (I don't need the games or Netflix either), it's not an upgrade I've regretted at all, and it will make the car easier to sell when it's time to move on.

I don't know how MCU1 performed in 2012, but it's a mystery how well MCU2 will age. I expect it to provide decent performance for the rest of the car's life, however.

My car got an MCU2 upgrade from Tesla in August last year and it's malfunctioning already. They have a 2yr/25K mile warranty on it and mine has passed 25K in those 16 months, so they expect me to pay for a new one.

Well, you never know who is going to wrench on your car when you bring it in to a large service business. Just take pictures before, and insist you are very picky and will be checking, then they will hopefully have the most careful techs do the work, and not the guy who just started the week before and has never done the procedure. I think you will be fine, worst case scenario you have a scratched trim and they will have to replace it if you have pictures to prove it wasn't there before.

I have taken mine apart several times, it really isn't that big of a deal to do it.

I've avoided even dealer service for this reason for 20 years. Made my own newbie mistakes of course but seems to counterbalance some dealer's lack of care, newbie tech, and poor factory procedures as well so its a wash for me haha.

My last 3 Tesla service resulted in more damage by them.

Steering rack bolt tightening recall

Mobile tech came and performed recall which was badly designed. I think swapped the bolt and tightened over the same aluminum subframe bite point... parking lot steering popping occurred soon after. Diagnosed it, brought it to Tesla with frunk tub removed and pointed to them the problem and cause. They came back with estimate that went from $150 to $250 including $70 diag fee haha... Long time SC manager I know eventually waved the diag fee and cost me almost $200 for their fix to their recall (add a washer for new bite on aluminum, if I knew their "fix" would have done it myself)

eMMC recall

I brought car to Tesla a few months before formal eMMC recall when problem was quite clear and evidently proven by the community. SC parked my car in sun for 3 days and did nothing. MCU1 screen came back with first 5 bubbles showing. I park in garage at home and work so my original MCU1 screen surprisingly lasted like 5-6 years with no bubble. My 2013 is still on original door handles in rainy seattle if you can believe it hahaha. Eventually fixed my MCU1 screen bubble myself with high quality ebay used (prob MCU2 conversion left over?) for $100.

And god knows what level of experience was the person that rebuild my rebuilt drive unit which came with a whine on first day...

But for non DIYers, kind of stuck. Best options are usually great independents with a lot of care and practical solutions learned beyond factory. But Tesla has been pretty good at stunting this option as well :(

Last edited:
How is it malfunctioning?
Random reboots - goes black and reboots. If you're driving you're losing essentials like wipers and blinkers, not particularly handy on a highway in bad weather. Not sure how they diagnosed this - if they even did... For all I know they could as well just seen that it had driven more than their "warranty" covers and opted for a quick sale. (No, I don't trust repair shops)

Can we expect FSD beta when we wake up???????

Reactions: what-mmc-recal
I am pretty sure the cameras feed through the MCU (e.g. they are not directly connected to the AP computer). If MCU1 is too slow for Sentry to function properly, I have serious doubts that it can render information fast enough for the AP computer to make decisions. Of course, I could be completely wrong also :)
They go directly into the FSD computer. You can see the ports in this Autonomy Day presentation:

(You can reboot the MCU whilst driving and Autopilot won't miss a beat.)