Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 owners: what should we expect from our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I upgraded, my MCU 1 worked like a charm. I got the chip replacement for free, but decide a few months later that if i was going to keep this car, i wanted the MCU 2. But the original one was still fast and responsive, so no real need to replaced then “i want the newer toy”

Reactions: seenhear
Before I upgraded, my MCU 1 worked like a charm. I got the chip replacement for free, but decide a few months later that if i was going to keep this car, i wanted the MCU 2. But the original one was still fast and responsive, so no real need to replaced then “i want the newer toy”
There was an improvement after the daughterboard EMMC memory chip fix; the improvement period was brief though. About a year later and it was back to sluggish behavior. And recently it's been crashing again too.

This is quite disgusting. I was just wondering if anyone ever bought a mcu2 from a salvaged car and had Tesla install it. The labor actually shouldn’t be much if they do it. But If functioning properly would be an official tesla part. They should have no problem installing and programming. Just haven’t see ln anyone do it yet. If someone has. Please chime in!

I think it's commendable that Tesla has worked to provide software updates to their older cars for so many years. The fact of the matter is that there comes a point in time when the older hardware is simply incapable of running the newer software efficiently/effectively regardless of bloat. Anyone who tried to use iOS 9 on an iPhone 4 knows what I am talking about.

Tesla should just officially EOL the software updates for MCU1 cars (which unfortunately would include security patches) and release a lightweight stable version that will run well on MCU1 as @Ostrichsak said earlier in this thread.

I have an old laptop that runs Windows XP. I still use it on a regular basis. I wouldn't attempt to install a newer version of Windows on it and Microsoft no longer provides updates for it. It still works perfectly fine though and does what I need it to do.

The problem is the moment Tesla does that, people are going to complain that their cars are no longer getting updates, so you can't win either way.

The problem is the moment Tesla does that, people are going to complain that their cars are no longer getting updates, so you can't win either way.
I really don't think this is true. I think that owners of MCU1.x cars would be happy to just keep their SW in a stable form, and get bare minimum security/safety updates. I think the expectation should be, you get full updates for X years, after which time your system is frozen and only safety related updates after that. No one these days expects old HW to run new SW. That's not the expectation. But I do expect a car to run as new for a very long time, if it's taken care of and repaired when damaged, etc.

This is quite disgusting. I was just wondering if anyone ever bought a mcu2 from a salvaged car and had Tesla install it. The labor actually shouldn’t be much if they do it. But If functioning properly would be an official tesla part. They should have no problem installing and programming. Just haven’t see ln anyone do it yet. If someone has. Please chime in!

... for a price of just $2200
I think it's commendable that Tesla has worked to provide software updates to their older cars for so many years. The fact of the matter is that there comes a point in time when the older hardware is simply incapable of running the newer software efficiently/effectively regardless of bloat. Anyone who tried to use iOS 9 on an iPhone 4 knows what I am talking about.

Tesla should just officially EOL the software updates for MCU1 cars (which unfortunately would include security patches) and release a lightweight stable version that will run well on MCU1 as @Ostrichsak said earlier in this thread.

I have an old laptop that runs Windows XP. I still use it on a regular basis. I wouldn't attempt to install a newer version of Windows on it and Microsoft no longer provides updates for it. It still works perfectly fine though and does what I need it to do.

problem with that is mcu1 fsd. Those cars have fsd and Tesla hasn’t delivered driving on city streets to them yet. Seems that mcu2 is needed and Elon is ghosting the topic. If it does get reverse compatibility. Fsd is certainly something that will need to get updates for quite some time. Can’t have self driving glitches because of unsupported hardware. Just my opinion. Tesla needs to do right by those cars. They paid for fsd before anyone and can’t get a request button. Knowing those cars are reaching eol. Elon has no concern for them.

... for a price of just $2200 or so.
Having to pay for an upgraded MCU is not acceptable. During the warranty period Tesla should insure efforts to extend the useful and desirable lifetime of the car. What Warnings Does The Tesla MCU Provide Before Giving Up?

If Tesla is going to push over the air updates that create logs which make the MCU obsolete then they should be responsible to replace the MCU's.

The bottom line, Tesla has a Memory Problem that needs to be replaced and it’s not acceptable to be replaced with the same unit that you know is going to have another problem. I’ve learned Elon has been telling people they can upgrade to the new version, as they know the MCU in all of these cars made before 2018 will fail.
Ludicrous, Elon and Tesla are ghosting these customers. I hope someone gets there on ai day with all the cameras running and asks him about this to his face. But most of the fanboys going are to afraid they’ll hurt his feelings and won’t say a thing. This really needs public attention. A major company is ripping off thousands of people and nobody in the news media is saying anything about it.

Any one have any new information Re: FSD on MCU1?
I put a service request in for "broken FSD" since I should be able to request it, according to Elon. I doubt anything will happen with that. Just need documentation that I tried. Next step is arbitration and I would recommend you do the same, otherwise you'll never get it. Of course you can get it for $2k+ by paying Tesla to upgrade your MCU.

I put a service request in for "broken FSD" since I should be able to request it, according to Elon. I doubt anything will happen with that. Just need documentation that I tried. Next step is arbitration and I would recommend you do the same, otherwise you'll never get it. Of course you can get it for $2k+ by paying Tesla to upgrade your MCU.
Wouldn't you also need additional sensors and cameras and so on? Or are you only referring to cars that have the necessary sensors but are on MCU1?

Wouldn't you also need additional sensors and cameras and so on? Or are you only referring to cars that have the necessary sensors but are on MCU1?
Just cameras and MCU2.

They agreed to do the cameras months ago but it does nothing for me without MCU2. So I chose to wait until everything is ready so they don't have to keep my car longer than they have to. I hate Lyft credits and I hate driving gas cars. I'm spoiled.

Reactions: Solar40 and Swift