Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 owners: what should we expect from our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started a service request for infotainment upgrade, because I'm curious, and it's only offering me mobile service, not at any of the 3 service centers within 40 minutes of me. Odd or is MCU upgrade usually done in the field. AP1 so I'm not getting cameras or other hardware upgraded.

4 frames a second (if they are clear) should be plenty to use as evidence. It’s not like 30 fps makes your car safer. Maybe a bumper sticker announcing 4K sentry mode is in operation would;)
If it were consistent quality, that would be useful, sure! I got useless footage all three times my vehicle was broken into because MCU1 couldn't handle everything going on at the same time (some cameras had gaps in the footage, some had glitches in the data which broke the video file, some didn't start recording until well after the alarm was triggered). Nowhere near as many issues when driving (only occasional video glitches), so looks like Sentry Mode just taxed the hardware too much.

Reactions: EbS-P
If it were consistent quality, that would be useful, sure! I got useless footage all three times my vehicle was broken into because MCU1 couldn't handle everything going on at the same time (some cameras had gaps in the footage, some had glitches in the data which broke the video file, some didn't start recording until well after the alarm was triggered). Nowhere near as many issues when driving (only occasional video glitches), so looks like Sentry Mode just taxed the hardware too much.
Do you get the same inconsistent performance when you save dashcam footage? I'm not sure of the frame rate I'm getting, but I get pretty decent (not great) video from the dashcam feature. IIRC, the couple times I needed Sentry footage, it was similar / same as dashcam.

Do you get the same inconsistent performance when you save dashcam footage? I'm not sure of the frame rate I'm getting, but I get pretty decent (not great) video from the dashcam feature. IIRC, the couple times I needed Sentry footage, it was similar / same as dashcam.
It’s generally much better with dashcam, although the repeaters are a little glitchy sometimes (compression errors and occasional dropouts). Haven’t really checked after the eMMC replacement though, and obviously plenty of software updates over time (two years since the last broken window). Using Sandisk Extreme MicroSD cards to record.

Is it possible to get camera pictures on a USB drive with a AP2 MCU1 car? I thought that it was not possible but according to the information button it should do this. My first test failed and I will test again if my car should support it.