Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's something for you all to laugh at during dinner tonight. Just got this email from Tesla right now after a several week old email asking about MCU2 retrofits:

"Hello Kyle,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

We are not planning to offer MCU retrofits at this time.The recent software releases have increased the performance and speed of the UI on all Tesla's, especially those with the original MCU hardware.

We thank you for helping Tesla to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy."

I wish the UI was indeed faster on original MCU hardware.
In all fairness they are right. There is a slight improvement and in general I’m quite happy with the speed.
The only beef to me is with the browser. It is faster after a reboot but after a short use, it always stalls completely and only solution is a reboot.

Browser doesn't work when car is moving. I don't use the car browser but the UI is WAY faster than before.

Which version did you have before .16? Would be interesting to know between what you are comparing.

I had 2019.12.12 prior to this update. If they improve the browser I'll be a happy camper

In all fairness they are right. There is a slight improvement and in general I’m quite happy with the speed.
The only beef to me is with the browser. It is faster after a reboot but after a short use, it always stalls completely and only solution is a reboot.

Which version did you have before .16? Would be interesting to know between what you are comparing.

I had 2019.12.12 prior to this update. If they improve the browser I'll be a happy camper
New Tesla strategy? Release a completely messed up release line v9, make people live with it for a bit, then fix few most annoying things, now people are happy with what they got, even though it's still worse than 8.1.

Two things I learned from owning a Tesla:
  1. I like physical buttons for common tasks like turning on headlights or changing suspension level - touch screen is way to annoying and sometimes dangerous as it requires taking eyes off the road to long times to perform some functions needed for driving
  2. Stay away from cars which require over-the-air updates - allows the manufacturer to ship unfinished product plus as the product gets old, you're forced to run software written for faster hardware (like MCU2), even different hardware (like single screen Model 3, so the whole UI gets redesigned to run on a single landscape screen instead of 1 landscape instrument cluster and 1 portrait main screen)

I'm not 100% happy until they improve the autopilot but understand that It's still a work in progress.

New Tesla strategy? Release a completely messed up release line v9, make people live with it for a bit, then fix few most annoying things, now people are happy with what they got, even though it's still worse than 8.1.

1. I like physical buttons for common tasks like turning on headlights or changing suspension level - touch screen is way to annoying and sometimes dangerous as it requires taking eyes off the road to long times to perform some functions needed for driving
  2. Stay away from cars which require over-the-air updates - allows the manufacturer to ship unfinished product plus as the product gets old, you're forced to run software written for faster hardware (like MCU2), even different hardware (like single screen Model 3, so the whole UI gets redesigned to run on a single landscape screen instead of 1 landscape instrument cluster and 1 portrait main screen)

Here's something for you all to laugh at during dinner tonight. Just got this email from Tesla right now after a several week old email asking about MCU2 retrofits:

"Hello Kyle,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

We are not planning to offer MCU retrofits at this time.The recent software releases have increased the performance and speed of the UI on all Tesla's, especially those with the original MCU hardware.

We thank you for helping Tesla to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy."

I wish the UI was indeed faster on original MCU hardware.

You should have sent him this thread to look at.

Last night around 2200 we heard a very loud music coming from the garage.
Looked at it, and found the sun roof open all the way, and the audio on full blast playing the last channel I was on.
The screen was going crazy with all kinds of different paint screens. Made no sense at all.
Was plugged in charging at the time.

So, when should I submit the bug report, before the reboot or after. Typically after a reboot all the info is destroyed.
But did not try during the problem, not sure it it would submit going crazy like that.

I respectfully disagree with both items. I much prefer the lack of physical buttons. That's the first thing I notice when I sit in any other car now, how many darn buttons it has! I don't like that look anymore and actually wish my Tesla had less buttons - like if I could position the side mirrors using the screen I could do away with those buttons on the driver door. I also love having OTA updates! That's one of the things I love most about the car, it's always changing. Sure, there are bugs here and there but my car can do things now that it couldn't when I first drove it home, and that's pretty cool. That's definitely something no other car did that I owned before my Teslas!

I respectfully disagree with both items. I much prefer the lack of physical buttons.

It's not the lack of physical buttons that's a problem, it's the lack of a UI that has design with human interaction in mind. The guy who did the original UI circa 2011 did a good job. Updates since then have been making it worse, and worse. Things need to be measured in how many clicks it takes to execute a function, and how long you have to look away from the road to do so. Current UI is objectively worse than it's ever been. If the static design wasn't bad enough, Tesla started auto-hiding everything from you all the time. For example, you can't even leave the climate control up anymore.

Last edited:

Sorry you feel that way. I'm quite in the opposite camp. I'd never buy a car that DOESN'T take OTA updates. My wife's VW had the dreaded RNS-510 screen which was ridiculously slow and we were stuck with it. Went to VW and they told us to buy a new car.... I had 2 Ford's that promised firmware updates (Sync v1 and Sync MFT v2)... each got literally 1 update in the entire time they existed. Both were buggy.

I'll take a Tesla w/issues any day.

It's not the lack of physical buttons that's a problem, it's the lack of a UI that has design with human interaction in mind. The guy who did the original UI circa 2011 did a good job. Updates since then have been making it worse, and worse. Things need to be measured in how many clicks it takes to execute a function, and how long you have to look away from the road to do so. Current UI is objectively worse than it's ever been. If the static design wasn't bad enough, Tesla started auto-hiding everything from you all the time. For example, you can't even leave the climate control up anymore.

I won't argue with this, there are definitely pain points with the updated UI, but that was simply an arguably bad design choice and something that a future OTA update could fix. I sure hope other automakers aren't looking at the new Tesla UI and thinking they can improve upon it with more physical buttons! :D

I won't argue with this, there are definitely pain points with the updated UI, but that was simply an arguably bad design choice and something that a future OTA update could fix. I sure hope other automakers aren't looking at the new Tesla UI and thinking they can improve upon it with more physical buttons! :D

Ironically enough, didn't Consumer Reports just rate it the best out of all of them?

Reactions: bhzmark
2019.16 is awesome for MCU1 . Really, much faster even with satellite on. I don't need to tweak it anymore and It feels almost like MCU2.
I assume you are being sarcastic or you get early release updates?
Given that it appears the issue was live traffic update rate we need one of these hackers who found it to confirm they actually fixed it in the code and you aren't just imagining it is better.

Sorry man, the issues get old after a while because they keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. So I couldn't disagree more. OTA software updates encourages buggy software, that's life now.

Sorry you feel that way. I'm quite in the opposite camp. I'd never buy a car that DOESN'T take OTA updates. My wife's VW had the dreaded RNS-510 screen which was ridiculously slow and we were stuck with it. Went to VW and they told us to buy a new car.... I had 2 Ford's that promised firmware updates (Sync v1 and Sync MFT v2)... each got literally 1 update in the entire time they existed. Both were buggy.

I'll take a Tesla w/issues any day.

- Honestly, I have never had the need to turn on/off the headlights of my Tesla. It's on automatic. Any reason the manual setting along with a manual button is better?
- The touchscreen might be dangerous if it's designed to operate as such, but not necessarily so. The currently required extra clicks has obvious adverse safety factors but an intuitive and an easy to function UI is no more dangerous than using the manual buttons. Don't you think?
- Many car manufacturers ship unfinished products. The OTA feature is a great idea if it goes through a decent QA, which is often lacking (which, as you correctly have stated, includes being forced to apply a code update designed for the faster processors).

I agree with you that the v9 UI makes arguably bad design choices, and I want to share your optimism that they'll get it right in a future OTA update. But the decline in usability has been a consistent trend over the past several years, which tempers my optimism.

Don Norman, a recognized expert in the field of usability, recently had this to say:
New technologies tend to rely on display screens, often with tiny lettering, with touch-sensitive areas that are exceedingly difficult to hit as eye-hand coordination declines. Physical controls are by far the easiest to control–safer too, especially in safety-critical tasks such as driving a car, but they are disappearing. Why? To save a few cents in manufacturing and in a misplaced desire to be trendy. Speech can be a useful substitute for physical controls, though not as helpful as proponents claim.

Reactions: croman