Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A fleet of black Model X's with guys in back suits and sunglasses were seen descending on Kraków. OP has not been heard from since.;)

Did you take the red or the blue pill @Accelev ?

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 8.29.21 PM.png

Did everyone that is aware of this performance issue that has an MCU1 car provided feedback to Tesla on this by sending an email to [email protected] ?
Sent to the service center earlier this week. Forwarded to that email as well.
Some says Tesla folks read TMC.
Most probably, but assuming is a risk: fellow Englishman told me once: assume makes an ass of u and me. :p

Ok, I'm inside (Mr Elon, please do not send an assassin ;) - The whole problem is not a lack of memory. It is caused by refresh function for traffic info, with passes processing to the main routine. It seems that somebody interpreted value of delay of a refresh to be in seconds (120, = 2 minutes), but it is in milliseconds. It eats 30% of spare MCU1 time. It tries to re-render it 6-7 times per second, with no new information (refresh period of traffic info via communication channel is set correctly).
My assumption - two differently skilled programmers did that.
Please, Tesla, correct this. Just add three zeros (120 -> 120000), recompile and send to us. And all will be ok.
Thomas
PS: Loading Tegra3 with this one passive cooler over 60% of load causes throttling. Who was a developer? Even ventilation holes, developed by engineers are covered from the bottom by shelf under the screen. No air circulation then.

SO....no more software updates can save the mcu1? Thats sad if true.
@meomyo , your terse comments makes no sense. Did you read Accelev's post. Obvious they can make a simple change there or refactor that area of the code in other ways.

all take longer than a quick glance at a text message on a phone, which is a proven cause of accidents.
My previous car (a Chrysler) would read out text messages and I could also reply via voice, never had to take my eyes off the road. I was amazed when I first got shown over the Tesla that it not only couldn't do that but it didn't even have any form of text message notification on screen.

Did you read Accelev's post. Obvious they can make a simple change there or refactor that area of the code in other ways.
I'd say there is a fair bit of arrogance at Tesla HQ with a holier than thou attitude, Accelev's post may be dismissed as 'what would a mere user know', we can't be looking at that when there is more Atari games to add.

In my Tesla, Cortana reads my text messages to me and asks if I want to reply. If I say "Reply", it beeps and allows me to speak my message. When done, Cortana tells me what she heard and asks if I want to send, append or retry. Windows Phones rule! I, for one, love everything about my Tesla - I do not think I will ever buy another car from another brand. I am on my third Tesla.

Brent

In my Tesla, Cortana reads my text messages to me and asks if I want to reply. If I say "Reply", it beeps and allows me to speak my message. When done, Cortana tells me what she heard and asks if I want to send, append or retry. Windows Phones rule! I, for one, love everything about my Tesla - I do not think I will ever buy another car from another brand. I am on my third Tesla.

Brent

Cortana's functionality on Windows Phone is unmatched in this regard. It's a shame the platform didn't take off more. They were supposed to add this function to the Android version of Cortana but it hasn't materialized yet.

Reactions: RabidYak
Why would Android users want an inferior 3rd party voice assistant on their devices?

Coming from the Microsoft ecosystem (e.g. moving from a Lumia phone to Android) this is important as I do not use any Google services. The first thing I did was ditch Google Assistant for Cortana. It's a slightly watered-down experience compared to Windows Phone but still better IMO for handling my calendar/appointments/etc...

The aforementioned ability to read/respond to text messages while connected to bluetooth on a Windows Phone is *very* useful in a car and is something I really miss and can't be done on an Android phone without using a hokey third-party app.

I still carry a Lumia as a secondary device and I am considering using that in my Tesla instead of my Android phone given that it doesn't look like Android Auto will be an option anytime soon.

• Informative
Reactions: StarLog
The aforementioned ability to read/respond to text messages while connected to bluetooth on a Windows Phone is *very* useful in a car and is something I really miss and can't be done on an Android phone without using a hokey third-party app.
As I mentioned in my old Chrysler with an Android phone whenever I got a text message a notification would appear on the infotainment system. You then had the option to listen (it read it out for you via the car speakers), view the text on the infotainment screen and then also to reply. The reply could be done using some default messages or you could respond via voice command and it would send it. This was all done via the car Bluetooth system, not on the phone directly.

As I mentioned in my old Chrysler with an Android phone whenever I got a text message a notification would appear on the infotainment system. You then had the option to listen (it read it out for you via the car speakers), view the text on the infotainment screen and then also to reply. The reply could be done using some default messages or you could respond via voice command and it would send it. This was all done via the car Bluetooth system, not on the phone directly.

Yes, the Chevy MyLink system can do the same thing (with any phone) as can a number of other systems (e.g. Chrysler, Jaguar, etc...). It's very odd to me that this capability is missing from a Tesla.

The point I was making was that in my Model S, I cannot receive/respond to a text message while driving via voice command unless I am using my Windows Phone (which natively supports this functionality). It just seems like a glaring oversight that should be there.

Well I would say 2019.16.1.1 fixed this issue. I see no difference in browser speed with traffic updates on vs. off.

I am no expert here but bringing up html.5 test it took 8 seconds to render with traffic on or off. Previously it took 7 seconds (timed by me, not stopwatch so might be the same 8 seconds I get now..) with traffic off but 20 seconds to render the page with traffic on. Scored 320 every time fwiw.

Dare I say the browser is actually usable on my AP1 now?

Well I would say 2019.16.1.1 fixed this issue. I see no difference in browser speed with traffic updates on vs. off.

I am no expert here but bringing up html.5 test it took 8 seconds to render with traffic on or off. Previously it took 7 seconds (timed by me, not stopwatch so might be the same 8 seconds I get now..) with traffic off but 20 seconds to render the page with traffic on. Scored 320 every time fwiw.

Dare I say the browser is actually usable on my AP1 now?

Does the browser actually load? Im on 12.1.1 and I still just get a white screen