Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think they are not the highest priority? It isn't like autopilot runs on the MCU. What is more noticeable or critical?
It's just an oversight. It used to be ok and now with increased cpu load - no longer ok.

New I was just about to remark that dashcam has zero affect on the music streaming problem.
Each dashcam thread adds about 7.5% cpu load (and currently there are 3, more coming soon). On my car enabling dashcam makes stuttering a lot more severe (esp on 19.12 and prior).

Why do you think they are not the highest priority? It isn't like autopilot runs on the MCU. What is more noticeable or critical?

Between the audio and the nav, I’d prefer the nav to be always responsive and working, as it does for me so far.
I’d be unhappy if the nav would start lagging. Either when just searching destinations for opening hours or during guidance.
But from @verygreen ’s input, looks like there is still room for optimization, like reducing the logging.

Apparently in certain non-US markets the nag has been reduced to 15 seconds due to a regulatory requirement.
Facebook:
Steven Peeters
Europe is crippling AutoPilot functionality with new regulations and laws in update 2019.16.1. I tested the latest update yesterday and have to say that a lot has changed and a lot has gotten really bad. Some if it even borderline dangerous. My advice is to skip this one if you're in Europe and hope that the next update will rectify some of the stupidity in this update.
(the conclusion is quite lengthy, but there is a lot to discuss. Also, local laws differ from country to country; R79 is a regulation that can have multiple local implications)

Just got a 2016 75D last week (haven't taken delivery yet) and reading this thread is a bit disheartening.

Now I know that I have to turn off live traffic just to make the MCU more responsive.............and I don't even have the car yet. wow

Just got a 2016 75D last week (haven't taken delivery yet) and reading this thread is a bit disheartening.

Now I know that I have to turn off live traffic just to make the MCU more responsive.............and I don't even have the car yet. wow
As long as you aren’t using the web browser, leaving the traffic on doesn’t cause much problem. I always leave in on in my 2015 Model S.

ust got a 2016 75D last week (haven't taken delivery yet) and reading this thread is a bit disheartening.

Now I know that I have to turn off live traffic just to make the MCU more responsive.
My S is MCU1 and I don't need to turn off live traffic - the MCU is reasonably responsive. My X is MCU2 and the MCU is slightly more responsive. But frankly, my wife doesn't know the difference between the two cars and I don't think she'd think there is any difference in how the screen works. Both are at 2019.20.2.1.

FWIW, I barely ever use the browser in either car.

Reactions: SilverGS
My S is MCU1 and I don't need to turn off live traffic - the MCU is reasonably responsive. My X is MCU2 and the MCU is slightly more responsive. But frankly, my wife doesn't know the difference between the two cars and I don't think she'd think there is any difference in how the screen works. Both are at 2019.20.2.1.

FWIW, I barely ever use the browser in either car.
Thanks. I'm not planning on using the browser either. Just nav and music on the center screen.

I'll honestly say that on 20.2.1 my browser now is actually usable. They did something that not only sped up the entire MCU1, but made the browser completely usable while the map and music are going. Now I have had some weird issues with the MCU that have made me reboot it a couple of times (GPS going backwards?) but today I was surfing the internet while on Nav on AP, while listening to music. Great work Tesla!

today I was surfing the internet while on Nav on AP, while listening to music. Great work Tesla!

This really sums up the Tesla customer experience pretty well. Tesla breaks something for a significant fraction of their loyal customer base, leaves it broken for more than half a year, then quietly unbreaks it. And they get praised for it.

This also sums up a rather unpleasant aspect of the Tesla customer community... you were surfing the Internet.... while on Nav on AP? I hope you were in the passenger seat, right? And another human was in the driver's seat, paying attention to the road?

I'll honestly say that on 20.2.1 my browser now is actually usable. They did something that not only sped up the entire MCU1, but made the browser completely usable while the map and music are going. Now I have had some weird issues with the MCU that have made me reboot it a couple of times (GPS going backwards?) but today I was surfing the internet while on Nav on AP, while listening to music. Great work Tesla!

Please post browser benchmark.

This really sums up the Tesla customer experience pretty well. Tesla breaks something for a significant fraction of their loyal customer base, leaves it broken for more than half a year, then quietly unbreaks it. And they get praised for it.

This also sums up a rather unpleasant aspect of the Tesla customer community... you were surfing the Internet.... while on Nav on AP? I hope you were in the passenger seat, right? And another human was in the driver's seat, paying attention to the road?

I can walk and chew bubblegum... and I hate bubblegum.

Reactions: quickstrike12

Quite a shortcut.
I’ve had the S since 2015 and the UI has improved. Certainly the browser.
I agree last year the browser became a total useless app, but now it is not only fixed, but works better than ever.