Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I'm inside (Mr Elon, please do not send an assassin ;) - The whole problem is not a lack of memory. It is caused by refresh function for traffic info, with passes processing to the main routine. It seems that somebody interpreted value of delay of a refresh to be in seconds (120, = 2 minutes), but it is in milliseconds. It eats 30% of spare MCU1 time. It tries to re-render it 6-7 times per second, with no new information (refresh period of traffic info via communication channel is set correctly).
My assumption - two differently skilled programmers did that.
Please, Tesla, correct this. Just add three zeros (120 -> 120000), recompile and send to us. And all will be ok.
Thomas
PS: Loading Tegra3 with this one passive cooler over 60% of load causes throttling. Who was a developer? Even ventilation holes, developed by engineers are covered from the bottom by shelf under the screen. No air circulation then.
With root access can’t we just make the change ourselves??

Ok, I'm inside (Mr Elon, please do not send an assassin ;) - The whole problem is not a lack of memory. It is caused by refresh function for traffic info, with passes processing to the main routine. It seems that somebody interpreted value of delay of a refresh to be in seconds (120, = 2 minutes), but it is in milliseconds. It eats 30% of spare MCU1 time. It tries to re-render it 6-7 times per second, with no new information (refresh period of traffic info via communication channel is set correctly).
Please, Tesla, correct this. Just add three zeros (120 -> 120000), recompile and send to us. And all will be ok.
Thomas
PS: Loading Tegra3 with this one passive cooler over 60% of load causes throttling. Who was a developer? Even ventilation holes, developed by engineers are covered from the bottom by shelf under the screen. No air circulation then.
Please email the support team and let them know what you found.

Thomas
What firmware version are you looking at? I've noticed improved performance of mcu1 under the latest 2019.12.1.2 firmware. Share what value/variable you're looking at and what file to check and I can check on this latest firmware to see if it's been changed.

Tesla does the display design and software in house, refuses to play licensing fees for Android auto, Apple CarPlay, and they pay the minimum to XM radio.

That sounds really neat, excerpt there are zero licensing fees for CarPlay. I’m 90% certain there also zero licenses fees for Android Auto.

What is the source for your information?

Thomas
I hear the weather is very nice in Palo Alto, you want to move from Poland to there, become the lead software guy and get them back on track? ;)

my car is on 2019.12.1.1 - Triple tapping while in D or R still brings up the sketchpad. Triple tapping while in P brings up Atari easter egg.

FYI to bring up a menu with all available easter eggs:

tap the Tesla logo once - this brings up the About Your Tesla popup window. Then, either...
a) ...drag down on the triangular icon at top/middle of About Your Tesla popup. That reveals the easter egg menu
b) ...or wait a few seconds and the easter egg menu will come up by itself

what's the function name in question btw? (to same me time searching for it)

Reactions: scottf200
As long as it gets back to the right people in Tesla I can't see why they wouldn't patch it.
The video on YouTube shows the problem very clearly, it shows turning off live traffic pretty much fixes it. The guy then posts on here what he found in the code as the cause of the high CPU load with the live traffic update delay being set to 120mS intervals instead of 120 seconds.
Telsa have to do nothing more than spend 30 seconds checking that part of the code themselves, if it is wrong then fix it with a one line change and put it in the next build.
Elon needs to be hounded on Twitter to get this fixed because I don't know how far such detail will get through to the programmers if 'customers' are telling them.

Thomas

UPDATE:

I can confirm that this issue exists in 2019.12 firmware (QtCar process spikes up to 150% CPU utilization when displaying traffic overlays on the map). However, I'm fairly confident that Tesla fixed this bug in 2019.12.1.1+ (just tested it on 2019.12.1.2 myself) and QtCar stays nice and calm at around 25% CPU with traffic turned on/off. I had noticed that MCU1 felt snappier after installing 2019.12.1.1, and this confirms why.

Good work @Accelev on noticing this. Looks like Tesla just fixed it.

However, I would be VERY interested to hear your successes in adding additional thermal cooling to the Tegra and your overclocking efforts. I'd be interested indeed.

I disabled dashcam, the traffic data overlay, and turned off online routing. Tried jumping between bookmarks in the browser - way, way faster downloads and layout and certainly more usable. There is a bug there somewhere.

All 3 seem to have some effect on the browser performance, with the traffic map overlay being the most noticeable.

I also think the Atari games load/run better with these features disabled as well.

• Informative
Reactions: BBone
I maybe reading tea leaves here ... but let's see if you had seen this too.

When you launch the iPhone Tesla App, do you on occasion get a connection error to the car ?

When that timeout occurs, you have to tap the bar at the bottom of the screen and then the connection usually establishes.

After disabling traffic overlay, dashcam, and online routing ... with the car sitting in the garage right now .... the connection from the Tesla App to car works on the first try, way quicker, without fail - I have tried it every 1-2 minutes ... probably 15-20 times - without fail. Even the if app comes from background to foreground the refresh to the mothership succeeds in like 1-2 seconds.

UPDATE:

I'm fairly confident that Tesla fixed this bug in 2019.12.1.1+ (just tested it on 2019.12.1.2 myself) and QtCar stays nice and calm at around 25% CPU with traffic turned on/off. I had noticed that MCU1 felt snappier after installing 2019.12.1.1, and this confirms why.

Good work @Accelev on noticing this. Looks like Tesla just fixed it.

So you have not checked 12.1.1 « inside » right?