Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla logs every individual drive in the trip counter and adds them together to display the total for the trip counter, instead of just keeping a running tally. So an old trip counter can have tens of thousands of trips it has to add together, slowing things.
I have heard this claim before, and you state it as established fact. On what do you base this claim? How do you know that it is true and not just an unfounded rumor? And I will say that I regard a service center personnel as an unreliable source, as we all know from these forums some of the crazy-ass guesses and justifications service center personnel will spout off from time to time.

I am a software engineer and I can say that no responsible software engineer would design a system that uses an unbounded amount of storage. Persistent storage is a limited resource, and if the above was true, at some point it would become full and the car could no longer record a trip, and mileage accumulation would stop. Has that been seen in high-mileage cars?

Last edited:
Tesla logs every individual drive in the trip counter and adds them together to display the total for the trip counter, instead of just keeping a running tally. So an old trip counter can have tens of thousands of trips it has to add together, slowing things.
hm, that's an interesting theory, but is there any supporting data somewhere?

Code:
# lvs | grep tripB  
EV_tripB_Miles,17884.624
EV_tripB_Start,2830.177
EV_tripB_kWh,6819.153
EV_tripB_whpm,381.286
GUI_tripBName,Cumulative ownership miles

Here's my report on this matter for MCU1.. I'm worried things are getting grave for us as browser has been down for weeks now.

The old trick of turning off the traffic display seems to not have much or any effect anymore, and seemed due to a bug.

Loading the whiteboard to blank-out the map display doesn't seem to get browser to work either.

Blanking out the A first, then the B Trip meters was done and did nothing at all. Don't waste your data erasing, I say.

Blanking out the Nav destination list was ridiculously time consuming, and did nothing at all. I erased some history right there.. fun to re-live, but afterwards I was sad, as it got me nothing and now I obsessively try to keep it empty for no good reason.

Processing entries to display a number is not a big deal for a computer today.

But there's always hope.. a new update is now available so maybe mothership has finally heard/received my daily bug reports and realized they've left tens of thousands of us in the lurch.

Regarding trip counters, I had both A and B running since delivery. But the last time I had the car in for service they reset both. I wasn't too happy about that but was told that's standard procedure now. So to keep counters running when in for service ask the service people not to reset them.
Looks like you have the same car I have. How many miles? Did you notice any improvement to your MCU’s performance after the trip counters were reset? Had you deleted your destinations on the navigation screen?

I haven’t reset my trip A counter yet, but I don’t think it would be a big deal. It’s just the thought of never being able to go back. I don’t even really look at or care about my lifetime average, at least for now. I would just take a picture of it and then reset it if I new it would make a noticeable difference to the MCU performance. Although my MCU seems to be functioning fine and I didn’t notice any difference after spending twenty minutes deleting my navigation history.

Here's my report on this matter for MCU1.. I'm worried things are getting grave for us as browser has been down for weeks now.

The old trick of turning off the traffic display seems to not have much or any effect anymore, and seemed due to a bug.

Loading the whiteboard to blank-out the map display doesn't seem to get browser to work either.

Blanking out the A first, then the B Trip meters was done and did nothing at all. Don't waste your data erasing, I say.

Blanking out the Nav destination list was ridiculously time consuming, and did nothing at all. I erased some history right there.. fun to re-live, but afterwards I was sad, as it got me nothing and now I obsessively try to keep it empty for no good reason.

Processing entries to display a number is not a big deal for a computer today.

But there's always hope.. a new update is now available so maybe mothership has finally heard/received my daily bug reports and realized they've left tens of thousands of us in the lurch.
I use my car’s browser almost everyday and it still works fine in V8. For wanting us to keep our car’s software current, they sure disincentivize installing new software. I sure hope V10 pulls off a miracle. I really don’t want to stay on V8 forever. If they would come out with an MCU1 replacement, that could handle the latest software, I wouldn’t be so worried about it.

having been around with apple since the 80's i think I've seen a lot..t(hey agreed..tried to hire me twice :)
what we don't realize & accept in this age of instant solutions & instant gratification..is the worst thing about it
"takes awhile..is it takes awhile!! " the things you are dreaming of will come..maybe not tomorrow. Elon is a victim of a being the head of a public comp. They are always playing to the analysts , and someone with the ego his size..well, they will always pitch good news (the good ones)
the ego driven ones will pitch next yr like its tomorrow. Then when it doesn't happen check the mkt price of the stock. look at todays numbers..he's pitching the Y, The pickup & new software containing FSD...people & analysts get excited...Apple didn't grow to what it is overnight...CHILL folks and let the magic prevail when it is ready

having been around with apple since the 80's i think I've seen a lot..t(hey agreed..tried to hire me twice :)
what we don't realize & accept in this age of instant solutions & instant gratification..is the worst thing about it
"takes awhile..is it takes awhile!! " the things you are dreaming of will come..maybe not tomorrow. Elon is a victim of a being the head of a public comp. They are always playing to the analysts , and someone with the ego his size..well, they will always pitch good news (the good ones)
the ego driven ones will pitch next yr like its tomorrow. Then when it doesn't happen check the mkt price of the stock. look at todays numbers..he's pitching the Y, The pickup & new software containing FSD...people & analysts get excited...Apple didn't grow to what it is overnight...CHILL folks and let the magic prevail when it is ready
I honestly have no clue what all that meant.

Well I went and did it.. a Factory Reset. And lo and behold, the browser has returned to its "barely functional" state (still barely working after a reboot too).

So in summary.. Trip A/B reset - nothing. Destination list clearing - nothing. Factory reset - yes, back to the "barely working" browser. Maybe I had too many music favourites, lol

Another forum member suggested I
Open the energy app for just a moment (said it cleared the memory cache)
Then open sketchpad in background (stops having to build map data)
And of course finally the browser (on top of sketchpad)
Kind of ridiculous to do this every time, but it sort of proves the point that it CAN work if the browser is given the priority in processing and the memory is cleared correctly.

You’ll be surprised how well the browser works doing that. I was.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Well I went and did it.. a Factory Reset. And lo and behold, the browser has returned to its "barely functional" state (still barely working after a reboot too).

So in summary.. Trip A/B reset - nothing. Destination list clearing - nothing. Factory reset - yes, back to the "barely working" browser. Maybe I had too many music favourites, lol
Aaannddd? What use is a barely functional browser? I don’t even bother to use except for Waze occasionally. Fact is the browser is elementary. I can browse any time on laptop, iPad, or phone. But damn, I can’t drive’em.

Another forum member suggested I
Open the energy app for just a moment (said it cleared the memory cache)
Then open sketchpad in background (stops having to build map data)
And of course finally the browser (on top of sketchpad)
Kind of ridiculous to do this every time, but it sort of proves the point that it CAN work if the browser is given the priority in processing and the memory is cleared correctly.

You’ll be surprised how well the browser works doing that. I was.
I think @verygreen could also verify / know if opening the energy app does anything. I have never heard that before.
If it doesn't work for me I just do a two button salute until I see the T. (haha similar to Three Finger Salute (Ctrl+Alt+Del)).