Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice to get the functionality (web browser) that used to work in the car working as it should. I understand not getting netflix, etc., but to have something that used to work not work anymore really bothers me.

And the standard response by some who say things like:
"Well, I do not use the browser, do why do you need it?"
"Use your phone like I do!"
"You were never promised a working web browser, just be happy with the car!"

Are all full of it. My car was delivered with a working web browser, and now it does not have one. Got it?

Tesla needs to remember all the older cars out there and the people who own them.

It would be nice to get the functionality (web browser) that used to work in the car working as it should. I understand not getting netflix, etc., but to have something that used to work not work anymore really bothers me.

Are all full of it. My car was delivered with a working web browser, and now it does not have one. Got it?

Tesla needs to remember all the older cars out there and the people who own them.

And how much are we paying for the browser that doesn't work?

The top Audi plan (I believe they were the first to offer in car wifi) with 10 Gigs of data is $70 a month. GM plans start at $15 a month and go up from there.

If they did fix it and then charge $15 a month like every other manufacturer would you sign up for that?

And how much are we paying for the browser that doesn't work?

If they did fix it and then charge $15 a month like every other manufacturer would you sign up for that?
Again, that is not a valid comparison. When I bought my car it had a browser. Now it does not. Stop defending Tesla with comparisons to other cars.

It seems the standard response from some people is:

If Tesla has a feature that is not in other cars: "See Tesla is better than everyone else, and why doesn't everyone have this?"
If Tesla does not have a feature in other cars: "Well, perhaps you should buy the other car then." or "Well the other cars charge for it, so Tesla could be better because they would not charge!"

I just want my web browser for things like weather, etc. like I had when I bought the car. Very simple.

Again, that is not a valid comparison. When I bought my car it had a browser. Now it does not. Stop defending Tesla with comparisons to other cars.

It seems the standard response from some people is:

If Tesla has a feature that is not in other cars: "See Tesla is better than everyone else, and why doesn't everyone have this?"
If Tesla does not have a feature in other cars: "Well, perhaps you should buy the other car then." or "Well the other cars charge for it, so Tesla could be better because they would not charge!"

I just want my web browser for things like weather, etc. like I had when I bought the car. Very simple.

I agree Pinball, when I bought my S early 2018, I had a functional browser where I bookmarked a local 24 hour forecast and a 10 day forecast. I also had google bookmarked in case I wanted a quick sports score update. Nothing major, but it worked nicely for what I needed in V8 and I didn’t have to pull out my phone and break the law.

The Tegra processor has plenty of computing power to run a basic browser. The Tesla engineers are just lazy and don’t care about MCU1 anymore (sad, my car is less than 24 months old).

Every update, like an insane person, I check to see if the browser works. I don’t even know why I try anymore. BUT I just scheduled a service appointment online citing the browser not working. I think it would be hilarious if they actually send a technician out. Has anyone done this before?

I’m hoping Tesla just tells me straight up “It doesn’t work - we know. Don’t bother.” But I doubt they’d admit that and I’m curious what their song and dance will be.

I’m hoping Tesla just tells me straight up “It doesn’t work - we know. Don’t bother.” But I doubt they’d admit that and I’m curious what their song and dance will be.
They will tell it's a known issue which does not affect the safety or operation of the car. They will then tell you to:
1. wait for next update
2. if browser still doesn't work, go to step 1

If you insist, they might also recommend you wipe all your settings, history, etc (factory reset) and reboot a few times. That does occasionally get the browser going for few hours. That is also the most you can hope for if you force the issue through warranty arbitration - they will wipe the settings for you, that's all.

Tesla today is focused only on new sales and profitability. Hardware no longer in production gets just enough attention that it doesn't brick the car under warranty or cause some particularly bad incident the media could pick up on. I suspect come mid 2022 (4 years after last MCU1 rolled off the production line) and MCU1 support will simply be dropped completely. They might even brick the modem for security reasons (if the car is not getting security patches anymore, it will need to be isolated from the internet to avoid a PR disaster when someone hacks the cars). :(

They will tell it's a known issue which does not affect the safety or operation of the car. They will then tell you to:
1. wait for next update
2. if browser still doesn't work, go to step 1
We went through this back when V9 first rolled out with Spotify (before the US had it).
Most updates broke it, Tesla just kept saying 'known issue, next update will fix it', repeat loop.

We went through this back when V9 first rolled out with Spotify (before the US had it).
Most updates broke it, Tesla just kept saying 'known issue, next update will fix it', repeat loop.
It's Tesla's go-to answer for almost any issue - it was even given to many customers with yellow screens! It's probably on page one for customer service training. It's basically telling the customer with a problem whatever it takes to make the customer go away.

This is definitely hilarious! I will try this too!

I did this and a tech did come out. Unfortunately the browser magically started working the day the tech came out and worked pretty well. It died a few days later.

I find that I check the browser everyday when taking the kids to school. It's very intermittent. It'll be "work" for a week and die 2 weeks and work again. All with no MCU resets or firmware updates.

I did this and a tech did come out. Unfortunately the browser magically started working the day the tech came out and worked pretty well. It died a few days later.

I find that I check the browser everyday when taking the kids to school. It's very intermittent. It'll be "work" for a week and die 2 weeks and work again. All with no MCU resets or firmware updates.
Interesting. :)

In my 7 months of ownership, I used it only once on trip to NYC when I wanted to check the route using AbetterRoutePlanner. Otherwise I have no interest whatsoever in using the browser. When parked I would rather use my phone if I have to get on the internet.

Reactions: jlv1
Interesting. :)

In my 7 months of ownership, I used it only once on trip to NYC when I wanted to check the route using AbetterRoutePlanner. Otherwise I have no interest whatsoever in using the browser. When parked I would rather use my phone if I have to get on the internet.

Yeah, since the browser in the car doesn't work, Autopilot + Cell phone is a great substitute.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Chaserr and Nrazar

If Tesla can repair the browser it would also add Netflix etc. They are just using the browser for theatre stuff, and the only reason we didn't get video is because they still haven't bothered to update the browser on MCU1. If they ever do, updated browsers will work perfectly - Tegra hardware has always played video just fine.