Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 Recall Will Happen Very Soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the email referenced in the article:

Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC. There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.

The longer they leave it, the more of us will have just thought ****-it and upgraded to MCU2 ...
I had my eMMC upgraded to the new part and still had some freezes/reboots but after the 1st firmware update (2020.36,11 I think) and subsequent ones (2020.48.12.1) I didnt have any issues. The last version I was on with my eMMC tegra baord replacement was 2020.48.37.1 and i had no issues freezes/reboots/corrupted graphics. The performance was 99% the same before I had the eMMC replaced.

I knew i wanted a better in car experience and and just said ****-it and paid $1500 for the infotainment upgrade and don't regret it. Everything works really well :)

Reactions: QUBO
A recall for the whole MCU is illogical and will never happen as the actual MCU1 works fine once the daughter board is replaced. However, i did the MCU2 upgrade for $1500 and i got $590 check in the mail for the eMMC repair that was done by ev fixme in So-Cal.

Now a mandatory recall for the daughter board that i can see as possible and likely as its cheap'ish fix and pretty simple to do and once fixed the car is back to normal working order without any issues. Its still slow but it is functional and that is what the NTHSA cares about functional and safe.