Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 Replaced Under Warranty Repeatedly Freezing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MCU finally decided to kick the bucket (screen dead, no turn signals, etc) on the day of my service appointment which I made 3 weeks in advance due to the usual symptoms of near MCU failure. Long story short, my car was fixed 11 days later(8/11) with a reman MCU1. When I got in my car at the SC I tried to use the screen only to find that it was not responding to touch but the screen was still active (voice command search displayed on MCU screen). I figured it must’ve been a one time glitch related to the install or the car sitting at the SC for awhile so I just did a scroll wheel reset and went on my way. Two days go by and everything is working fine until I get to the car on the third morning and it’s unresponsive again, reset and went to work, got out of work, frozen again. Its freezing at least twice every day now and not just after a longer period of inactivity, one time I left the car for 5 minutes only to come back to the screen being unresponsive. Is It common for a >month old factory reman MCU to have an issue like this and is it user correctable?

That doesn't sound right. However, my MCU was replaced with a refurbed unit about a week ago, and I had my first crash on Monday evening while I was opening the door to take something out of the car. Typically I open the door and my music resumes, but in this case the main screen was black and then I saw the Tesla logo shortly thereafter. I also had a case where the mic was not working at the time.

I wonder if the eMMC failure actually corrupted data stored on it that was then copied over to a new chip. The new chip may be in good health, but the damage to the original data was already done, and that corruption simply continues to perpetuate.

My MCU freaked out yesterday while driving. Music stopped playing, navigation stopped updating, and I had no audio from the parking sensors. I was pulling into Home Depot so I did a scroll wheel reboot and went into the store. When I came back the car was back as normal, but playing the previous Spotify playlist I had been listening to, not the current one.

I am planning a road trip this weekend. Will report back if it acts up again, but so far the car still seems a little wonky even after the MCU replacement.

My MCU still freaks out and crashes now and then - maybe twice a month. Reboots are a little longer than they were a year ago when I got the car (now 4-5 minutes, previously under 2) but everything works when the reboot finishes.

When it happens, it is often at the worst time. Navigation stops responding and it caused me to miss an exit. The next time it happened, I was able to catch it in time and pull over while it rebooted.

My MCU still freaks out and crashes now and then - maybe twice a month. Reboots are a little longer than they were a year ago when I got the car (now 4-5 minutes, previously under 2) but everything works when the reboot finishes.

When it happens, it is often at the worst time. Navigation stops responding and it caused me to miss an exit. The next time it happened, I was able to catch it in time and pull over while it rebooted.
Did you try a reset factory ? Somes people that have performances problem witrh MCU1 make this and the reponse of the screen comming back toi like the first day you buy your car.

I think a factory reset is part of the replacement. When I got the car back, everything was back to defaults - no driver profiles, Spotify credentials were gone, trip history, car settings, homelink, etc. were all gone. It was kind of annoying to reset everything back to what I'd set before. Doing it again "just because" seems frivolous. Not sure what the car felt like in 2015 as I've only had it a year, but it's still relatively sluggish. Maybe about the same as it was a year ago, but my expectations were low given how much people complain about MCU1 speeds.

In 2015 it would have had a less bloated user interface, so it would have been much faster than the V10 of today.
I've only been driving Tesla since late 2017 so I can't comment on how efficient what came before V8 (more specifically, V8.1) was.
I'm quite reluctant to spend $2500 on MCU2 so when mine pukes I'll go the cheaper way of the Tegra board replacement.