Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 S Owners: Logic FOR/AGAINST Tesla's $2,500 "Infotainment Upgrade"? (Not required for FSD)

MCU1 Owners - Will you opt for the $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade?

• I DO have the FSD package but will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I DO have the FSD package and WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have, nor am planning to buy, the FSD package but I WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and WILL opt for BOTH the Infotainment Upgrade and the FSD Upgrade.

• I prefer to KEEP my MCU1, even if it means replacing it with another MCU1.

• I DO have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I do NOT have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I own a S/X with MCU1 but NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

• I don't own a S/X with MCU1 so NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uhm... How? I mean, I only attended Nebraska Public School Systems but that doesn't jive even to me. Not to mention there's the disturbing reminder of what that acronym stood for during the Nazi reign of Germany.

It is clearly a mistake. They meant SC. No one is talking about Nazis.

EDIT: Although, given the service center's approach to labor charges, maybe they are Marxists?

• Funny
Reactions: Shateam and ahkahn
It is clearly a mistake. They meant SC. No one is talking about Nazis.

EDIT: Although, given the service center's approach to labor charges, maybe they are Marxists?
tenor.gif

I honestly think a lawsuit should be brought up. FSD buyers originaly paid 7k for it. What did they get ? Absolutely nothing and last on the list to get an upgrade if it ever happens. Its been over 3 years now. At least give the option for a refund at this point. I only paid $2k for mine and i still feel jipped. Really wouldnt hurt them much if they gave us a free mcu2 upgrade and call it a day. How many mcu1 with fsd paid could there possibly be?

I agree on the lawsuit. Feels like a bait-and-switch situation, where you pay 7K and now you're required to pay $2500 for an upgraded MCU in order to enjoy the full benefits of FSD. Anyone know of any good attorneys?

My MCU1 borked out and I decided not to wait for a refurb MCU1 replacement. Went ahead with MCU2. Totally regret it. I do not have FSD, so maybe I might like it if I did, but there is almost zero improvement for close to $3k paid. Anyone want to swap? :)
Isn’t it much faster and responsive? Aren’t there some new features now? I’m thinking Netflix/YT streaming. I agree those alone may not justify the cost but I’m curious if it’s not at least nicer to use.

Isn’t it much faster and responsive? Aren’t there some new features now? I’m thinking Netflix/YT streaming. I agree those alone may not justify the cost but I’m curious if it’s not at least nicer to use.
Coming from 3G - yeah, but from LTE -it's just a little more responsive, not enough(for me) to justify the cost. I haven't tried the NAV in heavy NY city traffic yet - MCU1 would pretty much just freeze with all the traffic updates. But I don't know when I'll have a chance to do that again, NYC is a ghost town these days.

Also, I was one of the (lucky?) ones who's browser worked on MCU1 - not lightning fast, but it was a feature a rarely used. Actually, I used to use it a lot for weather and stocks when teslatime.com was first released - but now that that is gone - see no need.
Netflix? Meh. Screen is too small in portrait mode. Spotify is sort of neat though - again, not for the price.
A fool and his money.. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
Coming from 3G - yeah, but from LTE -it's just a little more responsive, not enough(for me) to justify the cost. I haven't tried the NAV in heavy NY city traffic yet - MCU1 would pretty much just freeze with all the traffic updates. But I don't know when I'll have a chance to do that again, NYC is a ghost town these days.

Also, I was one of the (lucky?) ones who's browser worked on MCU1 - not lightning fast, but it was a feature a rarely used. Actually, I used to use it a lot for weather and stocks when teslatime.com was first released - but now that that is gone - see no need.
Netflix? Meh. Screen is too small in portrait mode. Spotify is sort of neat though - again, not for the price.
A fool and his money.. Lesson learned.

Agreed! When my MCU1 was replaced recently, I thought briefly about the MCU2 upgrade but never considered it seriously. First, I have the ESA so the repair only cost $200 (and another repair was done at same time). I was lucky and really did not wait long for the hardware. Plus I do not use the games and rarely sit at Superchargers, so Netflix and so on held no interest. Browser never was useful, but who cares, we both have phones. As a practical matter, I would hate to lose the excellent rear view camera, which I rely upon quite heavily (MCU2 camera images are terrible -- separate threads about that issue), and it would be annoying to lose the FM radio even though I normally use streaming music. So spending $2500 more for marginal benefit was unattractive (and I can always do it later if it becomes more compelling).

As a practical matter, I would hate to lose the excellent rear view camera, which I rely upon quite heavily (MCU2 camera images are terrible -- separate threads about that issue),.

I had the MCU2 upgrade done and am very happy with it. Everything you stated is accurate, with the exception of the rear view camera. I think the picture quality is great, it is just not as bright in dim light (MCU1 seemed to almost have night vision). But that is a small difference and definitely wouldn’t consider it in the category of losing the excellent rear view camera. My 2 cents.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I had the MCU2 upgrade done and am very happy with it. Everything you stated is accurate, with the exception of the rear view camera. I think the picture quality is great, it is just not as bright in dim light (MCU1 seemed to almost have night vision). But that is a small difference and definitely wouldn’t consider it in the category of losing the excellent rear view camera. My 2 cents.

Good clarification. I thought the camera view was more generally degraded. I had been very disappointed in the rear camera view when i had loaners newer than my own car, but it may well have been nighttime driving that influenced my impression.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
My MCU1 borked out and I decided not to wait for a refurb MCU1 replacement. Went ahead with MCU2. Totally regret it. I do not have FSD, so maybe I might like it if I did, but there is almost zero improvement for close to $3k paid. Anyone want to swap? :)
Can you give some more detail/review? I'm schedule this week and if it's not worth it, I might as well do the Tegra route for 1/6th of the cost.

Agreed! When my MCU1 was replaced recently, I thought briefly about the MCU2 upgrade but never considered it seriously. First, I have the ESA so the repair only cost $200 (and another repair was done at same time). I was lucky and really did not wait long for the hardware. Plus I do not use the games and rarely sit at Superchargers, so Netflix and so on held no interest. Browser never was useful, but who cares, we both have phones. As a practical matter, I would hate to lose the excellent rear view camera, which I rely upon quite heavily (MCU2 camera images are terrible -- separate threads about that issue), and it would be annoying to lose the FM radio even though I normally use streaming music. So spending $2500 more for marginal benefit was unattractive (and I can always do it later if it becomes more compelling).
Can you give more detail about the rear-camera? I have the 3rd gen rear camera (looks fish-eye-ee) with MCUv1 and I found that it was a slightly better picture with better night-vision. But are you saying MCUv2 screws up the image or doesn't look right with the older camera?