Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 S Owners: Logic FOR/AGAINST Tesla's $2,500 "Infotainment Upgrade"? (Not required for FSD)

MCU1 Owners - Will you opt for the $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade?

• I DO have the FSD package but will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I DO have the FSD package and WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have, nor am planning to buy, the FSD package but I WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and WILL opt for BOTH the Infotainment Upgrade and the FSD Upgrade.

• I prefer to KEEP my MCU1, even if it means replacing it with another MCU1.

• I DO have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I do NOT have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I own a S/X with MCU1 but NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

• I don't own a S/X with MCU1 so NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to clarify what you mean by the statement "the AP functions won't work with AP/HW1". Presumably, you mean the FSD functions won't work with AP/HW1? I am assuming that after upgrading to MCU2 for those cars we still have auto-pilot, just not the full self-driving functionality?

My understanding is that on my 2016 Model S with AP, the upgrade would result in a much more responsive interface and voice interface, a working browser and some additional streaming and gaming capabilities (which I personally do not care about) but that AP would continue to work as before.

yes, sorry! I meant the FSD won’t work in my AP1/HW1 despite upgrading to MCU2, correct? Same autopilot. I’m guessing how much could it really improve with the same old AP1 camera hardware.

would love the upgraded MCU speed and 5g would be faster where ever I could find it
I dont think this is bringing 5g cell. It is only WiFi change:
A2E4FD48-62FD-4228-952D-D907EA7C6F17.jpeg

Anyone else think that this $2500 won't last long. When demand may be lower than they thought, it could drop to $2000, or even $1500
haha. Not likely. Once there is no demand, they may announced the end of the retrofit.

Basically, you need to PAY to PLAY before it's GONE.

The whole idea of it going down is unlikely.

yes, sorry! I meant the FSD won’t work in my AP1/HW1 despite upgrading to MCU2, correct? Same autopilot. I’m guessing how much could it really improve with the same old AP1 camera hardware.
Correct. The MCU2 upgrade does nothing to improve AP1 capabilities, nor does it provide any FSD functions in AP1 cars.

EDIT: Just want to add that MCU2 upgrades in AP2/AP2.5 cars also does not provide any FSD functions, that's done with a different AP3 computer upgrade that is included in the cost of the FSD option.

Last edited:
Something I don't understand. HW2.0 cars have different camera's then HW2.5. The latter has full colour while the former has B/W with a red colour filter. HW2.5 with MCU1 has sentry mode and DashCam.

Now I saw this from the website for new infotainment
  • Records from all cameras for DashCam and Sentry Mode for cars with the Full Self-Driving Computer
So, does this mean that HW3.0 get new camera's for HW2.0 cars? If you keep your MCU and have HW3.0 does it mean that you have DashCam and sentry mode by keeping MCU1, just like people with MCU1 and HW2.5?

------------------------------------------
So if you are a AP2.0 and bought the FSD, your only way to get the dashcam is to get the MCU2. See Tesla note (Features section): Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
My initial reaction was - no radio - no upgrade.

Then I looked at the TuneIn website and saw that TuneIn appears to provide all of the programming we currently get from FM/HD radio/XM - including live sports broadcasts (NBA, NFL, MLB, ...). All you need is a $10/month or $100/year TuneIn Premium subscription.

But...

TuneIn Premium is not supported in the Tesla app - we'd have to stream over bluetooth from our phones and use the phone display to interact with the app.

So...

Unless Tesla upgrades the TuneIn app to support Premium or they add the XM streaming app or they provide an option to support FM/HD radio/XM - back to a hard NO on the upgrade.

How many $100+K cars (what S/X and used to cost when FSD purchased) don't support any radio? (and many of those also have screen mirroring...).

My initial reaction was - no radio - no upgrade.

Then I looked at the TuneIn website and saw that TuneIn appears to provide all of the programming we currently get from FM/HD radio/XM - including live sports broadcasts (NBA, NFL, MLB, ...). All you need is a $10/month or $100/year TuneIn Premium subscription.

But...

TuneIn Premium is not supported in the Tesla app - we'd have to stream over bluetooth from our phones and use the phone display to interact with the app.

So...

Unless Tesla upgrades the TuneIn app to support Premium or they add the XM streaming app or they provide an option to support FM/HD radio/XM - back to a hard NO on the upgrade.

How many $100+K cars (what S/X and used to cost when FSD purchased) don't support any radio? (and many of those also have screen mirroring...).
You’ll find a great majority of the sports are blacked out on TuneIn.

You’ll find a great majority of the sports are blacked out on TuneIn.

That should be true for the standard TuneIn subscription - just like it would be true for trying to listen to other streaming services for local stations. Live sports are usually blocked from streaming.

But the Premium subscription is supposed to provide "Live games for all NFL, MLB, NBA & NHL teams" - no mention of any blackouts.

If Tesla could provide the equivalent of FM/HD-radio/XM using streaming apps, then the radio isn't needed - and they could remove it for all vehicles - not just for the MCU1-MCU2 upgrades.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60 and ucmndd
------------------------------------------
So if you are a AP2.0 and bought the FSD, your only way to get the dashcam is to get the MCU2. See Tesla note (Features section): Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Are you sure?
It says:
"...The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade...."

So you could also argue then that if you have HW2.5 and want to keep Sentry Mode and DashCam with the Intallation of the FSD Computer you are obliged to upgrade the MCU as well.

MCU1 is laggy. Doing ANYTHING. Maps loading, voice commands, searching, switching menus. I had a new loaner and it was night and day difference. For that alone I would want to upgrade. The other improvements are just a bonus for me.

Back in version 8 and below, it wasn't laggy. Starting with version 9 you can see how laggy everything is because of the unneeded animations meant for MCU2. Version 9 and above were made for newer cars; they didn't even bother changing the Driving tab icon!(The icon shows a Model 3).

This is like how Apple gives the iPhone 4s the iOS 9 update, which made the iPhone 4s slow and laggy compared to the older versions of iOS it ran (like iOS 6). And you can't even downgrade the iOS, so the only choice you had is to buy a new iPhone if you didn't want to live with the slowness of iOS 9.

Reactions: Barry
Back in version 8 and below, it wasn't laggy. Starting with version 9 you can see how laggy everything is because of the unneeded animations meant for MCU2. Version 9 and above were made for newer cars; they didn't even bother changing the Driving tab icon!(The icon shows a Model 3).

Some of the laggyness is the failing of the eMMC chip. And one hacker recently said he found another hardware "fault" that can compromise performance 10-40%. So I don't think you can 100% blame the software for the performance. (Some people report that once they replaced their eMMC that the performance was significantly better even on V10.)

Sure you could, but that’d be a pretty goofy position to argue.

Well, that is what I mean, it is very unclear.

At the end upgrade from HW2.0/MCU1 to HW3/MCU1 will have the same result as upgrading from HW2.5/MCU1 to HW3/MCU1, so I don't see why they will not have the same functionality. The front camera's and the rear camera's are the same so the bonus for HW2.0 cars upgrading to HW3 would be that they will get DashCam and Sentry Mode too.