Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mid February I got my MCU2 upgrade on my 2015 S. Since then I had 3 events of the MCU and cluster reset middle of a drive. Scary event especially for other passengers. Car still drives but a bit worried it’ll get more frequent. Anyone else have this problem With upgraded MCU? Not sure if related but my app cant unlock car anymore also.

cant say that random reboot has happened since i got my MCU2 upgrade. but it wont effect the car in any major way if it goes out while driving, hell i have done several reboots while i was driving because it lost cell signal and i couldn't listen to my music. the worst thing that'll happen if it reboots while you're driving is the steering will revert to the sloppy default setting instead of sport and your turn signals may not work.
if you're still in the 60 day warranty window though id recommend that you tell tesla and have them take a look at it.

cant say that random reboot has happened since i got my MCU2 upgrade. but it wont effect the car in any major way if it goes out while driving, hell i have done several reboots while i was driving because it lost cell signal and i couldn't listen to my music. the worst thing that'll happen if it reboots while you're driving is the steering will revert to the sloppy default setting instead of sport and your turn signals may not work.
if you're still in the 60 day warranty window though id recommend that you tell tesla and have them take a look at it.
... Or if it's a really cold/hot day your heat/air will temporarily stop during the reboot. Otherwise, reboots are a non-issue. In fact, for many of the common problems that occur Tesla suggests rebooting the MCU using the two thumb wheels, even while driving, as the solution.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ
Taking my car into service today for their 2nd effort at fixing a permanent loss of connectivity on my 30 day old MCU2 "upgrade". I also have had random reboots during driving which I never experienced in my 4 years of prior ownership with MCU1.

Lack of app functionality sounds like a certificate issue:

looks like security certificate isn’t installed As both unlock and start car isn’t working.

Super helpful post for the OP, that looks like exactly the issue they are facing. Thanks for your VERY informative link to the other post! I love this community and how helpful it is! ❤️

• Love
Reactions: EnzoXYZ