Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 outside of Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi my fellow Tesla users,

I am from Amsterdam and my 2017 S 100D has had trouble with the MCU since I bought the car. I was very unfortunate to buy the cars just a couple of months shy to the MCU2 upgrade and missed out on a lot of features but mostly performance.

My MCU crashed quite a lot early on having random shut downs and losing airbag even during drive every couple of minutes. The longer I had the car the worse the problems got. From strange hiccups and static noises with sound and spotify to slow responsiveness of up to 5 seconds for each input to crazy buggs crashing the system and showing tears in the screen. I've had it all.

However in the 36 times I've requested an MCU change and giving Tesla the MCU timestamps, Tesla refused to change the MCU within warranty because in their words my MCU was working just fine. Today my MCU got even worse and typing anything in spotify or tunein search instantly crashes the MCU and I lose airbag for about 8 min and a reboot takes an average of 12 min showing a black screen and eventually the Tesla logo takes a long time too.

Once again Tesla refused to help me because according to their diognostics my MCU was working correctly and they didn't see a valid reason to replace my MCU.

At this point I don't even want the MCU replaced I simply want it upgraded, in the 2,5 years I own this Model S. Not once have I experienced a drive without any problems with my MCU. I just want to upgrade and just get rid of the terrible experience.

Since Tesla isn't offering MCU upgrades in The Netherlands currently and they estimate the price to be over €3k I was hoping anybody would know if there are any third party locations in europe where they do MCU upgrades to MCU 2 with the ability to change the car logs. I've read online that some people have been succesful doing it and was hoping anybody here could be a life safer to my problem. I still to this day have never been able to search for a spotify song without something going wrong. Using navigation and Nav on Autopilot combination makes my car look like a windows 95 computer with 20 chrome tabs open. It doesn't respond and everything get's slow and choppy.

Please help me with some suggestions, if you have!
Thank you

I don't recommend that you try anyone outside of Tesla. You should wait until Tesla offers MCU2 Upgrades in country. In the meantime, I recommend that you reach out to @widodh or @LuckyLuke and discuss with them replacing your eMMC inside your MCU with a newer/faster/better quality one for a fraction of what Tesla charges. Yes, I saw you are still under warranty. But you seem to be desperate for a better solution. Just Tesla never notices before you can upgrade to MCU2 and it maintains your remaining warranty.

Reactions: Maarten