Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 switchover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When did they start MCU2 in new MS deliveries? My date of of manufacture is August 2017, so does that mean my MS75 has MCU1? Does MCU model show up in VIN or some other location?

March 2018 was the MCU 2 release. You have MCU1. There's no easy VIN-based way to check but you can navigate to this site from the car's browser to confirm:

MCU Tester | TeslaTap

So glad I didn't wait for MCU2, because it allowed me to enjoy a fabulous EV 6 months sooner.

Yes, but how would you feel if you would only have had to wait one or two days? My 75D was built/finished on 2/28/19 - had I known that just waiting a day or two to place the order would give me 2018 technology rather than 2011 technology, I most definitely would have waited.

SC wants to replace the MCU. I was told that replacement would be MCU1 and they would not install MCU2

I have a MCU2, so not an issue for me but I have been told that they are not directly swappable. Apparently some other subsystems, like the center dash display, are driven from the main MCU and would have to be replaced as well, along with wiring harnesses and a bunch of other stuff.

Instrument cluster (IC) from MCU2 requires MCU2 but instrument cluster from MCU1 will work w MCU2, maybe full fuctionality if MCU2 broadcasts data like album art.

MCU2 harness is a superset of MCU1 and has an additional 5GHz antenna and Bluetooth.

I also understand the stereo needs to be updated as the old stereo will not work with MCU2.