Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade due functionality issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MCU1 (2015 P85D) has been acting funny lately; screen freezing, spontaneous reboots, sluggish performance. Other than longer load times, NAV worked fine along with voice commands. One might think it was a failing emmc chip but alas it is not—Tesla performed a warranty repair replacing the original Tegra board over a year ago

So my question is, is it common that these original MCU just fail with age. I do like Northern California where hot summers are common—did this thing just get backed to death…?

at my request Tesla did diagnostics as “goodwill” so no charge to me. I was told they tried to reinstall the firmware to no avail.

It’s just strange that my original MCU1 was working fine, and about 12 months after the emmc chip recall it failed.

I’ve asked to escalate the issue but that’s something I need to do on my end. I begrudgingly paid the $1500 upgrade fee and will try for reimbursement—I’m sure pigs will fly before that happens but I’ll give it a shot.

My guess is that the memory is starting to fail after so many read/write cycles.
The "story" is that TSLA did not use commercial grade nor military grade RAM, but rather consumer grade.
And that combined with the ever expanding size of the S/W being used, along with at one time tracking and writing almost every event...

Much more info on this in prior posts, but it seems like you may be on your way to failure.
I went through 3 MCU1 boards, the last one replaced 13 months aft the 2nd one was installed - yup, 1 month out of warranty. I applied the NTSB recall refund $ towards the MCU 2, and never looked back - what an improvement and highly recommended.
Think of it as like going from a 2012 laptop to a 2020 laptop. (once again, many posts on the upgrade too)

I have a friend at the SC and the first thing he said to do when I got my preowned 17 MS was to upgrade to MCU2. It was mentioned that MCU1 is known to fail, symptoms being more and more laggy, and eventually the whole screen completely freezing up and becoming unusable.

The upgrade itself was definitely worth it though. Since they replace the whole screen, everything is much sharper on top of being much faster.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
My MS100D 2017 doesn’t have autopilot. I can upgrade the car to get AP for $3000. But i’m also thinking of upgrading the mcu1 to mcu2. Which will cost $2000. Do these two upgrades effect eachother?
I'd go first for MCU2 retrofit. Some owners have gotten the AP3 processor for free at the same time (Tesla did it without asking for it) even if they didn't have FSD. Not sure if Tesla is still doing that, but might be worth a try.

There is one effect of the two. If you get the AP3 processor and keep MCU1, the FSD display is more limited. It doesn't affect FSD road operations.

I just paid the $1500 and upgraded. Tried arguing this is another failed emmc chip event after the recall repair. They had no explanation for the issue.

And yes, I was 1 month outside my warranty as well…go figure.
I’ve been trying to get Tesla to honor its extended warranty for the occasional black screen - the cause for the original NHTSA recall - and massive profile confusion issues (w/ key fob and with mobile login). They are not putting it in writing per their leaked policy, but they are refusing to even address the issues other than accepting my car for service periodically and saying that they couldn’t fix it or sometimes reproduce it. I’m not paying for an upgrade and they have the option of changing the MCU 1/the EMMC or upgrading it without charge. I’m kind of ready to take them on - either complaint process, small claims court, or if others have a problem with getting Tesla to honor the extended warranty, a class action.

I'd go first for MCU2 retrofit. Some owners have gotten the AP3 processor for free at the same time (Tesla did it without asking for it) even if they didn't have FSD. Not sure if Tesla is still doing that, but might be worth a try.

There is one effect of the two. If you get the AP3 processor and keep MCU1, the FSD display is more limited. It doesn't affect FSD road operations.
Thx for answering the question