Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, I got the MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 on my 2017 Model S. I had a yellow border around my old MCU1 screen. I paid $2500 for the upgrade and I specifically asked for, and they confirmed that both the MCU and the screen will be replaced.

When I went to pick up the car, the MCU was upgraded (much snappier) but the yellow border around the screen persisted. They mentioned that there was a miscommunication and the technician did not replace the screen. To make up for it, they set up a mobile appointment to replace just the screen.

Does anyone know that after they replace just the screen next, would it be the same thing as if they had replaced the MCU and screen together? Would the new screen replacement get rid of the yellowing forever?

PS: They also upgraded my HW2.5 to FSD even though that wasn't part of the service - no complaints there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

something smells fishy there. There are two part numbers they order for the Infotainment Upgrade, and they include both the MCU/2 and IC2 which means the screens as long as the logic boards...

MCU Upgrade(1582613-00-A)
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA 1.0 (9874561-00-A)
and Quantity 4 of these: NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A)

They should have replaced the screen along with the MCU and IC...

What does your invoice say that you signed off on? Do they have the same part numbers as I mentioned above?

Note: IF they did replace your MCU, you should see that in your SOFTWARE tab where it shows you what is part of your vehicle. Also you will notice that your Bluetooth and Wifi need to be setup again (ie, pair up your iPhone back to your Tesla, and add your car back to your home wifi).

• Informative
Reactions: TK16688 and whitex
I've asked half a dozen times of those people that didn't get a new screen if the old screen was going to be covered in the MCU's 4 year warranty. A couple of those people had not yet taken their car in, just had appts. I asked them to ask Tesla - for their own sake. Apparently none asked or were concerned. So we still don't know.

Reactions: whitex
I don't blame you. I would to. If they replace it, I'd ask if the rest of the MCU's warranty applies to it. If they say, no it does not, PM me. If they don't agree to replacing it, I would insist on the $250 refund. Other have gotten it.

I think this is one of the real advantage of Tesla not being a traditional dealership model. They are the manufacturer. They would not have different policies in different cities/locations. So no one can skate out of an issue by saying "its our company policy", because it not going to be different in different places.

something smells fishy there. There are two part numbers they order for the Infotainment Upgrade, and they include both the MCU/2 and IC2 which means the screens as long as the logic boards...

MCU Upgrade(1582613-00-A)
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA 1.0 (9874561-00-A)
and Quantity 4 of these: NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A)

They should have replaced the screen along with the MCU and IC...

What does your invoice say that you signed off on? Do they have the same part numbers as I mentioned above?

Note: IF they did replace your MCU, you should see that in your SOFTWARE tab where it shows you what is part of your vehicle. Also you will notice that your Bluetooth and Wifi need to be setup again (ie, pair up your iPhone back to your Tesla, and add your car back to your home wifi).

They replaced the MCU for sure. I have Netflix, Youtube, etc. now. Also verified in the Additional Vehicle Information screen that it says Intel Atom. My parts listed on the invoice are:
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA 1.0 (9874561-00-A), and
Info Upgrade wit Replacement Touchscreen (1582613-00-A)

Apparently Tesla has a screen shortage and has been using existing customer screens for the MCU2 upgrade. You should have received a 10% discount ($250) though.

There are a couple of posts on the forum about this (can’t find them though).

This is probably what happened. I know how Tesla works... The service technician probably just took the liberty to ignore the invoice instructions and do what he had to. I don't want the $250 discount, but a new screen that fixes the yellowing issue for good.

I've asked half a dozen times of those people that didn't get a new screen if the old screen was going to be covered in the MCU's 4 year warranty. A couple of those people had not yet taken their car in, just had appts. I asked them to ask Tesla - for their own sake. Apparently none asked or were concerned. So we still don't know.

I sure hope that it is covered under warranty just like how it would have been if it was replaced along with the MCU2 upgrade. Only time will tell. I also have extended warranty on the car (8 years, 100k miles) so that should help regardless.

Mine just came back from the same surgery and they did the same to me... except didn't even offer a $250 discount :( I've messaged them to see if they will still replace the screen.

You should insist on that. They were supposed to do that and should be held accountable.

I don't blame you. I would to. If they replace it, I'd ask if the rest of the MCU's warranty applies to it. If they say, no it does not, PM me. If they don't agree to replacing it, I would insist on the $250 refund. Other have gotten it.

I think this is one of the real advantage of Tesla not being a traditional dealership model. They are the manufacturer. They would not have different policies in different cities/locations. So no one can skate out of an issue by saying "its our company policy", because it not going to be different in different places.

I don't want the refund, I'll make sure that I get the screen replacement. My only concern/question is if the separate screen replacement is the same thing as getting the screen replaced along with MCU upgrade. Would they replace it with a similar part as they should've initially.

Both of my screens are leaking. Ranger told me the $2500 upgrade would include 2 new screens. When I get the upgrade, I will make sure it's on paper, 2 screens, software, mcu2. After reading all these post, I wouldn't trust the SC person as to what will be included.

you got me thinking...when they replace the instrument cluster during the MCU2 upgrade, are they re-using the existing customer’s screen too?

you got me thinking...when they replace the instrument cluster during the MCU2 upgrade, are they re-using the existing customer’s screen too?
The IC screen is replaced whether or not the MCU screen is replaced. I think that it has to be since its a different architecture (no more standalone processor) with MCU2. I know mine was replaced because it has a protective wrap on it.

I'm dealing with a similar issue right now. Apparent eMMC failing. 2016 MS P100D. MCU1 freeze, random rebooting, loosing navigation during trip, touch screen scrambling text when touched, etc. Burlingame, CA service center tried a remote software fix, then a service center visit where they preformed a factory reset and firmware update. Made matters worse. Now they want to do a remote, quote "programing to the SD card". From everything I've read makes me think they are patching it to get me past the warrantee expiration. The service manager has consistently acted like they don't know what is causing the problem. Am I being paranoid? BTW I have had the MCU screen changed twice due to yellowing. And before this issue I was considering the MCU2 upgrade.

I'm dealing with a similar issue right now. Apparent eMMC failing. 2016 MS P100D. MCU1 freeze, random rebooting, loosing navigation during trip, touch screen scrambling text when touched, etc. Burlingame, CA service center tried a remote software fix, then a service center visit where they preformed a factory reset and firmware update. Made matters worse. Now they want to do a remote, quote "programing to the SD card". From everything I've read makes me think they are patching it to get me past the warrantee expiration. The service manager has consistently acted like they don't know what is causing the problem. Am I being paranoid? BTW I have had the MCU screen changed twice due to yellowing. And before this issue I was considering the MCU2 upgrade.

100% seems like emmc failure. Bogus that they won't help. My service center was great and actually installed the new mcu1 after my warranty expired.

I've heard very good things about the Burlingame, CA SC from other owners that are frequent posters. If I were you I would make sure each complaint about your problems is being documented in a work order/app work request. That's on you to submit those app work request. If you just drop by the SC and discuss problem, make sure its documented. Otherwise you are going to have a hard time making your case for the warranty repair.

I don't understand your statement "before this issue I was considering the MCU2 upgrade". That wording makes me think you don't want the MCU2 upgrade because of these issues? IF I had all the issues you are reporting, I would not consider it, I would be standing at the SC door begging for MCU2 upgrade; to put a end to all these MCU1 issues for good.

Reactions: croman
coman They are acting very helpful. My issue with them is they have the ability to look at the eMMC and make a determination but what they are doing is acting like it's some mysterious problem. I've given them several exact time and dates when it occurs.

Akikiki sorry for the confusion what I meant was that I had been considering the MCU2 upgrade along with waiting for them to schedule the FSD HW2 to HW3 computer upgrade, figured to do it all at once. I tied scheduling but my VIN isn't available yet. When this started, what I'd expect from them is to be straight with me. He's acting like he is at a loss for what it could possibly be. Give me the options available rather than trying to put a band aid on it. Yes I am documenting everything. Like I stated above, this Fri the service manager has stated in an email that they will be doing some remote programing. Depending on the outcome I will decide what my next steps are. In the beginning service was outstanding. Took delivery Feb 2017. Lately not so much.

Reactions: viper2ko
coman They are acting very helpful. My issue with them is they have the ability to look at the eMMC and make a determination but what they are doing is acting like it's some mysterious problem. I've given them several exact time and dates when it occurs.

Akikiki sorry for the confusion what I meant was that I had been considering the MCU2 upgrade along with waiting for them to schedule the FSD HW2 to HW3 computer upgrade, figured to do it all at once. I tied scheduling but my VIN isn't available yet. When this started, what I'd expect from them is to be straight with me. He's acting like he is at a loss for what it could possibly be. Give me the options available rather than trying to put a band aid on it. Yes I am documenting everything. Like I stated above, this Fri the service manager has stated in an email that they will be doing some remote programing. Depending on the outcome I will decide what my next steps are. In the beginning service was outstanding. Took delivery Feb 2017. Lately not so much.

Yea they can read the life remaining on the chip and they clearly know what the symptoms are. But won't proactively replace them.

I want to give credit where credit is due. I sent the service manager an email last night in response his asking me about the availability of my MS for the remote reprograming on Fri. They needed it stationary for 1 hour. In my response I also pointed out my concerns with the failing eMMC and what I thought needed to be done.

His response:
"Hello Ed,
Let me follow up with my FSE tomorrow as he is out of the office today regarding the reprogramming of the SD card and the MCU performance. Additionally I will check with engineering to see if the replacement MCU would be the next course of action."

Well it's something LOL. I guess I expect too much. This Fri will be the 4th attempt to address the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
@ecampi, There's an owner on the TM S forum saying today and yesterday that he is 70th in line waiting on a re-manufactured MCU1. 70th in line across the country. Says his SC also said there's a shortage of MCU2. And its the shortage of MCU2's that's impacting the availability of stock to re-manufacturer-able MCU1s.

I document reported MCU1 failures. I find them on TM and TMC. This is by no means all of the failures. Only those reported by owners. How many more times larger these numbers are is only a guess. Let me share this detail with you, summarizing counts for you.

From the collected data the most common reported failed year Model S is 2015.
Of 297 counted, 120 are 2015.

Of the 2015’s: 39 failed in 2019 and 68 failed in 2020. Need I point out? We are only half way through 2020 and already almost twice as many in 2020 than 2019?

I saw, I know you are a Feb 2017 build. But you are competing for one the same MCU1 as all those failing 2015's.
Since MCU2 is not yet (but I believe will soon be) available to 2015's your best "get your car back on the road" bet is to pour your energies into getting MCU2 and skip MCU1.

I have a service appointment tomorrow at Tysons in northern VA to upgrade from HW2.5 to 3 and also MCU1 to MCU2. The estimate was for $2,250 without screen. I said that I wanted the $2,500 option including screen. My screen has the yellow border and I would prefer 4 years warranty. Instead they added a screen replacement option at $764.50 including labor!

I have responded to them to say I expect the $2.5k price but no response. Anyone else seen this and got passed it?

On a slight tangent I can say that I have been a huge Tesla fan and was somewhat skeptical of the poor service narrative. This is the first time I have had to try and communicate with them. It has been laughably, embarrassingly terrible. I called, email, texted, declined agreements with notes and edited the app all with zero response. I finally texted a mobile service person who gave me his number a few months ago and got a bit of movement. My narrative of: "Tesla is awesome" has been downgraded to: "Tesla have amazing products, just hope you don't need to communicate with anyone". Shame really.

So I spoke with my SC today. They told me that the parts were, something to the extent of, "being held and not readily available", so they were going to credit me back $250 for the screen. I asked the technician if I could still get the screen replaced, and he told me it's possible, but that I'd need to setup another service for it and there would be a charge for that. I'm on the fence now about replacing it if it's going to cost me another $764.50 as speedypc mentioned.

I'm in SF, so I might try Burlingame and see if I have better luck with them. I have some serious car vibrations at highway speeds and only the BG SC can validate it anyways.