Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My invoice shows

Info Upgrad wit Replacement Touchscren (1582613-00-A) 1.0 2,500.00

But then shows

Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)

MCU INTEL UPGRADE-TegraAP2.0-NA-NODISP (9874562-00-B) 1.0

ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX(1507950-00-A) 1.0

NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A)

Which makes me think that the touchscreen was not replaced since it was not listed with the other parts on the corrected page.

I dropped my car off today and spoke to the advisor over the phone about the screen. He said that because my car doesn't "need" a new screen my only upgrade option was the $2,250 no screen package. If I wanted the screen replaced then it would be $550+labor. I pointed out the yellow border and they offered the UV treatment (which I accepted). I don't know if there is a difference between screens that means they have to upgrade some and not others. My car is November 2017 MCU1 AP2.5

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I dropped my car off today and spoke to the advisor over the phone about the screen. He said that because my car doesn't "need" a new screen my only upgrade option was the $2,250 no screen package. If I wanted the screen replaced then it would be $550+labor. I pointed out the yellow border and they offered the UV treatment (which I accepted). I don't know if there is a difference between screens that means they have to upgrade some and not others. My car is November 2017 MCU1 AP2.5

The Tesla service center statement certainly doesn't seem to make sense as the $2500 infotainment upgrade supposedly includes the new screen. There seems to be quite a bit of miscommunication from Tesla on this.

My invoice shows

But then shows

Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)

Which makes me think that the touchscreen was not replaced since it was not listed with the other parts on the corrected page.

No, that looks right. Don't worry. That's with.

My invoice shows

But then shows

That's how mine was and I also think I didn't get a new MCU screen. I also didn't get the 250 discount.

• Informative

Between replacing failing MCU1 and installing new MCU2 upgrades, there's a shortage of touchscreens. They are trying to keep moving forward with upgrades and repairs and reuse good screens when/where they can.

I would not have objected if they used my old screen, but I wanted to know if Tesla continues and extends to cover the 4 year warranty on the my old touchscreen as part of the MCU2 upgrade if they use my screen. I would argue, "you decided not to replace it with the rest of the MCU2, so you certified it as been okay when you didn't replace it"
But it seems no one has thought to ask that question and insure its covered.

Between replacing failing MCU1 and installing new MCU2 upgrades, there's a shortage of touchscreens. They are trying to keep moving forward with upgrades and repairs and reuse good screens when/where they can.

I would not have objected if they used my old screen, but I wanted to know if Tesla continues and extends to cover the 4 year warranty on the my old touchscreen as part of the MCU2 upgrade if they use my screen. I would argue, "you decided not to replace it with the rest of the MCU2, so you certified it as been okay when you didn't replace it"
But it seems no one has thought to ask that question and insure its covered.

I asked but they never answered. I'll find out eventually but once a ticket is closed it is hard to communicate.

I assume since I paid the full amount it is covered. The first part ($2500) says "wit (sic) screen" and the lower item says no disp. Not an issue other than the 250 or the warranty. I'd prefer to have the new screen and warranty as that is what I paid for.

@croman, I think you have an excellent position if it comes to debating with them was yours covered by warranty. When they were working on it, they decided to not replace it. So its going to be on them.

I paid the full amount and I am satisfied that I am covered. Its those folks that's invoice shows no touchscreen AND $250 discount, is the ones I am somewhat concerned about.

• Helpful
Reactions: TigerNinety
I have a service appointment tomorrow at Tysons in northern VA to upgrade from HW2.5 to 3 and also MCU1 to MCU2. The estimate was for $2,250 without screen. I said that I wanted the $2,500 option including screen. My screen has the yellow border and I would prefer 4 years warranty. Instead they added a screen replacement option at $764.50 including labor!

Note that sometime between 6/1 and today Tesla changed the warranty for MCU replacements to 2-years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first... No more 4-year warranty.

I think this is one of the real advantage of Tesla not being a traditional dealership model. They are the manufacturer. They would not have different policies in different cities/locations. So no one can skate out of an issue by saying "its our company policy", because it not going to be different in different places.
Uhm, an advantage, really? Let's see. The only automotive manufacturer in the USA which has monopoly on car repairs is Tesla. Look through this forum if you want to see how wildly inconsistent their services and prices are. It doesn't seem like a customer advantage to me. They don't need "it's our company policy" excuse, they have "it is what we tell you it is, we have a monopoly on this, so you don't have any other option" instead.

Last edited:
Note that sometime between 6/1 and today Tesla changed the warranty for MCU replacements to 2-years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first... No more 4-year warranty.
This is consistent with Tesla business direction over the last couple of years, one of the major pillars of which has been reducing warranty coverages wherever they can. Is anyone surprised anymore?

@whitex, good points. I've been on both sides of the counter when dealing with ICE car dealerships. I like this way better. But to each his own, huh? Thanks and I respect your comments.
I was a big proponent of Tesla's direct sales model, until they released Model 3 and showed how they can leverage this monopoly to make a profit. I've owned many ICE cars before Tesla, and yes, I had to deal with some sketchy service, however having the option to walk away and go to "down the street" to a competitor is a huge bargaining chip in the customer's hand. Tesla's monopoly extends over parts, service, and even over the ability to use used parts which require programming only Tesla can perform (which Tesla is continuously expanding, there will not likely to be a Tony's emmc replacement option for Model 3 MCU or AP for example) .

But, as I always say, every stick has two ends, everything has upsides and downsides. For you the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. For me the pendulum swung over to "not worth buying anymore" a bit over a year ago.

Last edited:
What the hell?! This has got to be one of the sleaziest things I have seen Tesla do. I have to think it has to do something with the recent investigation into MCU failures and Tesla not wanting to pay for any warranty repairs further down the line for the piece of junk technology they engineered.

I'm due to replace MCU1 to MCU2 next week, and this really pisses me off. One reason I was upgrading was knowing I was making an investment into keeping the car another 4 years at least - under warranty for the MCU at least.