Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really sleazy move

Seems to be in line with other manufacturers.

Parts Warranty
When you choose Genuine Mercedes-Benz Parts, you enjoy the reassurance that comes with our Parts Warranty:

• 12-months, unlimited mileage
  • 24-months or 24,000 miles for transmissions
  • 48-months or 50,000 miles for engine and long blocks (same coverage as for a new Mercedes-Benz)
See your Mercedes-Benz Retailer for more on the Mercedes-Benz Spare Parts Limited Warranty.*

Parts Warranty
When you choose Genuine Mercedes-Benz Parts, you enjoy the reassurance that comes with our Parts Warranty:

• 48-months or 50,000 miles for engine and long blocks (same coverage as for a new Mercedes-Benz)
See your Mercedes-Benz Retailer for more on the Mercedes-Benz Spare Parts Limited Warranty.*

It is not the new duration but rather the change happening while hundreds of owners are swapping out detective MCUs.

Parts Warranty

I don't think other manufacturers have built in defects that they are aware of that cause the car to lose all center screen controls and major car controls

• Funny
Reactions: Guy V

Parts Warranty

Mercedes seems to have the shortest warranties in the business. I grew up in Europe, where Mercedes was the symbol of quality and longevity. I remember as a kids we were always told Mercedes was the most solid car you could own (my parents could not afford one, but some of our family members had Mercs). I came to North America, and once I started making good money, Merc was the first place I went looking, but after driving one and then looking at the warranty, I left and never looked back. The quality of a $100K car I drove and the warranty being (at the time) 36 months, while everyone else offered 48+ months and longer mileage, was enough to turn me off for life. My favorite ended up being Lexus, Acura and Porsche. I liked BMW's but somehow never ended up owning one. I was nuts about Tesla until about 2 years ago too.

Mercedes and Jaguar are the two brands I've been avoiding my whole adult life, based purely on research and test drives, though in case of Jaguar also renting one for few days once. I am keeping an open mind if they come up with attractive EV's - Polestar line looks interesting, though I suspect eTron GT will get there first.

Reactions: alloverx
I don’t think we will have this issue with MCU2.

Right...I think @verygreen did the analysis and said the eMMC memory in MCU2 would far out last the useful life of the car. Of course, this is Tesla and they let their customers do their R&D so there could be other MCU2 issues that have not reared their head yet?

Also, not sure if the yellow border issue is resolved with MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Then it's especially shady Tesla won't warranty it for 4 years for people upgrading. Clearly Tesla disagrees with your rosy assessment and Tesla thinks there is a real risk of failures between 2 and 4 years and they are shifting that risk to owners. Very shady.

I will be surprised if there are systemic failures within 4 years with MCU2.

Financially it makes sense for Tesla to do this. A lot of liability is removed. And it is reasonable compared to the rest of the market.

I don’t “like” it either but I wouldn’t say it’s some conspiracy thinking they will fail within 4 years.

I will be surprised if there are systemic failures within 4 years with MCU2.

Financially it makes sense for Tesla to do this. A lot of liability is removed. And it is reasonable compared to the rest of the market.

I don’t “like” it either but I wouldn’t say it’s some conspiracy thinking they will fail within 4 years.

No, I'm thinking logically based on facts. You are the one making *sugar* up.