Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped my car off today and spoke to the advisor over the phone about the screen. He said that because my car doesn't "need" a new screen my only upgrade option was the $2,250 no screen package. If I wanted the screen replaced then it would be $550+labor. I pointed out the yellow border and they offered the UV treatment (which I accepted). I don't know if there is a difference between screens that means they have to upgrade some and not others. My car is November 2017 MCU1 AP2.5
I have same model as you. UV treatment worked well on my screen. I updated to AP3 in May. Waiting to hear about infotainment upgrade. Confusing, I thought the IC screen is changed not MCU screen.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Gt1948, Its this simple. With MCU2 Upgrade the IC is replaced, no question, because its not compatible/will not work with MCU2. We call it IC2. Its different, its a subordinate component and dependent on MCU2.

The touchscreen screen replacement, new or reused from old MCU1 has nothing to do with IC2. We know there's a shortage of screens, so this is likely why they are selectively deciding to reuse the old screen with the MCU2 upgrade.

Reactions: Gt1948
I am getting the ap3 upgrade and MCU2 installation. My invoice says specifically no new screen install. Which was unexpected. Build date 2017 January. 90D

I noticed the yellow around the screen today, didn’t really look before. I just bought the car from Tesla, now I am wondering why the screen replacement is not mandatory for this MCU2 upgrade.

I noticed the yellow around the screen today, didn’t really look before. I just bought the car from Tesla, now I am wondering why the screen replacement is not mandatory for this MCU2 upgrade.

The screen can be fixed with a UV treatment by the service center usually in under a couple hours. Unrelated to the MCU2 computer itself.

I just checked my screen again in detail. I believe my MCU 2.0 upgrade came with a new screen.

1. No yellowing around border at all.
2. Screen has no grease dust or fingerprints.
3. It has that “new-screen” feel still where there is no oil or dust buildup from years of use.

If I was paying $2500 I would not settle for an old screen that has any yellow border.

Reactions: Akikiki
I just checked my screen again in detail. I believe my MCU 2.0 upgrade came with a new screen.

3. It has that “new-screen” feel still where there is no oil or dust buildup from years of use.

If I was paying $2500 I would not settle for an old screen that has any yellow border.

If they reuse your screen, it is supposed to be $250 less.

• Informative

I remember when you got yours. It was before we had any reports of there being a shortage of screens.
I'm confident too that yours is new.

If they reuse your screen, it is supposed to be $250 less.
Yes, that would make sense. But not all SCs invoices showed a reduction for reusing the owners screen, just as some SCs were trying to charge for labor even after they saw invoices from other SCs that showed no labor and the website says includes installation.

Just because its should or is fair does not mean its applied every time. And there's things we don't know that we continue to look for answers for. Such as, if they reuse the screen, is the warranty applied to the screen the same as the rest of the MCU? Does returning or reducing the cost of the screen exclude the MCU's warranty from the screen. What do you want? Considering the price of a new screen is about $760 before labor, do you want to forgo the saving of $250 so your MCU upgrade covers your screen too? We don't know. No one has been able to get answers to these questions.

Yes, that would make sense. But not all SCs invoices showed a reduction for reusing the owners screen, just as some SCs were trying to charge for labor even after they saw invoices from other SCs that showed no labor and the website says includes installation.

Just because its should or is fair does not mean its applied every time. And there's things we don't know that we continue to look for answers for. Such as, if they reuse the screen, is the warranty applied to the screen the same as the rest of the MCU? Does returning or reducing the cost of the screen exclude the MCU's warranty from the screen. What do you want? Considering the price of a new screen is about $760 before labor, do you want to forgo the saving of $250 so your MCU upgrade covers your screen too? We don't know. No one has been able to get answers to these questions.

I'm working on getting some clarity but I don't really want the 250 and just want the warranty. I also was told 4 years but now that is in doubt since new warranty terms don't have a clear start date.

I'll post when I hear from my service center. I've created a new ticket for July 14th to address a touch screen issue where I can't control the MCU by touching it but can control via steering controls and the MCU continues operation.

I'm working on getting some clarity but I don't really want the 250 and just want the warranty. I also was told 4 years but now that is in doubt since new warranty terms don't have a clear start date.

I'll post when I hear from my service center. I've created a new ticket for July 14th to address a touch screen issue where I can't control the MCU by touching it but can control via steering controls and the MCU continues operation.

This new 2 year warranty (instead of 4) on the MCU / touch screen replacement is pretty alarming.

I'm scheduled to have the MCU2 / HW3 upgrade on my 17 S90D next week. I was asked by text after requesting the upgrade if I would like to use my old screen to save $250. I requested to have the new screen installed as originally requested, for $2500 as quoted. When I received the "official" service estimate by email a day later, the estimate parts list shows the upgrade kit w/o the new screen for $2250.
My screen has the yellow borders (and it was replaced under warranty for this issue previously), so I prefer to start with a new screen and a full system warranty. I understand now there might be a shortage of new screens, but I would still like the option to have a new one installed when they are available for the $250 difference I was quoted. An additional issue came up on that estimate - It seems everyone has been paying $2500 w/screen, or $2250 w/o screen, plus tax, which is what I was told would include installation. My estimate has a $195. labor charge for installing the upgrade, which I thought was included in the $2250 / $2500 upgrade price (plus tax on parts, of course). Has anyone else been charged an additional separate labor charge for the MCU / HW3 upgrade ? If you were not charged an additional labor charge, do you mind posting up the final invoice so I can show my service center as a reference? TIA...

Yes at least one person here was charged the labor. And after a elevating the issue to the SC Mgr's boss it was corrected and refunded. Showing the paid invoice didn't fix the problem and even reminding them the infotainment webpage says it includes installation, didn't help. Elevate the issue. It might take, standing in front of the manager and ask him/her to call their boss so you can talk to them.

Read some old posts on this thread in the last month or so. I think you will find it.

Last edited:
Yes, I was initially charged for replaced damaged parts and labor. It took a few rounds of negotiations but eventually I ended up paying $2500+tax.

I actually feel bad for the technicians at service centers. If the parts cost is almost $2500 and the labor can be several days with issues arising from tearing up the dash, they can spend days of work on a car for no labor fee.

Tesla should be up front with all SCs and customers about the costs.

I'm scheduled to have the MCU2 / HW3 upgrade on my 17 S90D next week. I was asked by text after requesting the upgrade if I would like to use my old screen to save $250. I requested to have the new screen installed as originally requested, for $2500 as quoted. When I received the "official" service estimate by email a day later, the estimate parts list shows the upgrade kit w/o the new screen for $2250.
My screen has the yellow borders (and it was replaced under warranty for this issue previously), so I prefer to start with a new screen and a full system warranty. I understand now there might be a shortage of new screens, but I would still like the option to have a new one installed when they are available for the $250 difference I was quoted. An additional issue came up on that estimate - It seems everyone has been paying $2500 w/screen, or $2250 w/o screen, plus tax, which is what I was told would include installation. My estimate has a $195. labor charge for installing the upgrade, which I thought was included in the $2250 / $2500 upgrade price (plus tax on parts, of course). Has anyone else been charged an additional separate labor charge for the MCU / HW3 upgrade ? If you were not charged an additional labor charge, do you mind posting up the final invoice so I can show my service center as a reference? TIA...