Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MP3Mike, makes the best point I can guess about. An audit found it was not paid for. Can you prove it, in case you need to?

I texted SC back and they removed that line item from my estimate, still not sure how it got there in the first place but it’s gone now! And yes it was definitely part of original car config.

@Akikiki thanks again for confirmation that the mcu2 & HW3 part numbers look good!

Reactions: Akikiki
I got my upgraded car back today. They had given the screen the UV treatment. It was much better but the yellow is still slightly noticeable. I asked about the warranty for the MCU and they said 4 years. Probably not aware of the change to 2 years. I also asked if the screen was covered under the “new” warranty even though they hadn’t replaced it. He said technically not but they wouldn’t argue over a technicality like that and would take care of it if there was an issue. I would definitely argue the point if it ever came up.

the new MCU is fantastic as others have said. Voice commands work again!!

Yes, I was initially charged for replaced damaged parts and labor. It took a few rounds of negotiations but eventually I ended up paying $2500+tax.

I actually feel bad for the technicians at service centers. If the parts cost is almost $2500 and the labor can be several days with issues arising from tearing up the dash, they can spend days of work on a car for no labor fee.

Tesla should be up front with all SCs and customers about the costs.

No way the parts cost $2500. They just came up with an all inclusive price.

• Funny
Reactions: Gt1948
@brkaus, worth it to me. To me its like I traded up three years to a newer Tesla for only a $2500 bill and didn't even have to empty my console or trunk. I posted my own best guess of the value of each of the better and added components in one of these threads. I think its worth more than 50% more than I had to pay to get it.

So, you are welcome to play it down, but I bet if you started a thread just asking people to post if they are pleased with the difference and was it worth it, - well, I think you would be quite surprised.

I actually got a call from the service center to go over my concerns on the original estimate. They corrected my estimate to include the new screen, and removed the additional labor charge. Honestly, I was stunned just to talk to a live person, without me calling first and leaving 50 messages, and who then called me back to let me know the results on the same day as well. Unfortunately, he confirmed the parts are not in stock, but they have already emailed me confirmation of the parts order, and will continue to do so twice a week until they come in. Maybe there is some hope for Tesla service after all lol

Have a 16 S 75D scheduled for hw3 and mcu2 on Monday. The estimate that they sent includes the touchscreen but makes no mention of the IC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200707-083619_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200707-083619_Drive.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 102
Good luck with that. I stated it very clearly in the scheduled appointment. But the email I received notifying me of the parts order for MCU2 indicated "without screen". SC will no longer reply to attempts to contact them on the matter. It's going to be a "take it or leave it" matter. And it seems that my own MCU may be on its way out (frequently freezing up, requiring reboots every hour, or so), so delaying my appointment for an indeterminate time later is risky.
Just received this text message response from Tesla to questions I asked a week ago:
Hello, we are revising our process to optimize installation time and are pausing this retrofit until mid-August. In the meantime, we will notate your request, order a kit on your behalf (if not already ordered) and contact you when the procedure is resumed.

Reactions: Akikiki
My Jan 2017 100D did not require the IC to be upgraded. Had something to do with whether or not the IC and CPU that drives the screen were integrated or not.

Are you 100% sure it was not replaced? 2017 models were still carrying dual-computers for each of the screens if I am not mistaken. I have an appointment soon for a late 2017 100D (but Model X) and I was told IC screen will also be replaced.

Reactions: croman
My 2018 MX 75D is scheduled for Infotainment upgrade on 7/20/2020. I received this text today from Wilmington, DE SC.

"The MCU2 upgrade is available with out a new screen. It is 10% cheaper than one with the screen but the one with the new screen has been discontinued. If your screen is fine, it will be switched over to the new MCU unit. Let me know what you think. Thank you"

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-7_12-28-12.png
    upload_2020-7-7_12-28-12.png
    297 KB · Views: 83
My 2018 MX 75D is scheduled for Infotainment upgrade on 7/20/2020. I received this text today from Wilmington, DE SC.

"The MCU2 upgrade is available with out a new screen. It is 10% cheaper than one with the screen but the one with the new screen has been discontinued. If your screen is fine, it will be switched over to the new MCU unit. Let me know what you think. Thank you"

Discontinued?