Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When did you report the MCU1 failure and how long before it was repaired? (I've been waiting six weeks now!)

My MCU1 started failing in February and I delayed getting it fixed to try to get MCU2. I reported it in March and they tried to get me MCU2 in May (May 5). MCU2 install failed on Day 2 and they next day got an MCU1 (MSX MCU NA PREMIUM - HW2.0/2.5/3.0, Part #: 1045006-S0-J). It was straight from Fremont. It took them 5 total days to fix my car and then a month later I got MCU2 done properly.

The MCU1 replacement was under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I texted SC back and they removed that line item from my estimate, still not sure how it got there in the first place but it’s gone now! And yes it was definitely part of original car config.
Removing ludicrous doesn't sound like a common request. It's not like someone mistyped a part number, it looks like someone actually typed in a concern "Remove Ludicrous from P100D". Maybe Tesla figured out the battery is damaged and they wanted to try to sneak a downgrade in, with a CYA of "customer asked for it, approved the estimate"? I know they removed ludicrous from a few CPO cars in the past and did not allow new owners to upgrade, obviously they had some reason to do it. We've also seen P90DL's having ludicrous power limitations after set number of hard launches, so maybe this is just an indication of 100KWh's battery gate brewing?

Just dropped off for fsd and mcu2 upgrade. Confirmed screen would be replaced. They said yes because it was ordered and on the ticket. Said however that didn't know if the fsd CPU was there after I got the text that it was there and stopped getting emails. Hope it was so we don't have to go back.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I'm dealing with a similar issue right now. Apparent eMMC failing. 2016 MS P100D. MCU1 freeze, random rebooting, loosing navigation during trip, touch screen scrambling text when touched, etc. Burlingame, CA service center tried a remote software fix, then a service center visit where they preformed a factory reset and firmware update. Made matters worse. Now they want to do a remote, quote "programing to the SD card". From everything I've read makes me think they are patching it to get me past the warrantee expiration. The service manager has consistently acted like they don't know what is causing the problem. Am I being paranoid? BTW I have had the MCU screen changed twice due to yellowing. And before this issue I was considering the MCU2 upgrade.
very nice
o.png

Removing ludicrous doesn't sound like a common request. It's not like someone mistyped a part number, it looks like someone actually typed in a concern "Remove Ludicrous from P100D". Maybe Tesla figured out the battery is damaged and they wanted to try to sneak a downgrade in, with a CYA of "customer asked for it, approved the estimate"? I know they removed ludicrous from a few CPO cars in the past and did not allow new owners to upgrade, obviously they had some reason to do it. We've also seen P90DL's having ludicrous power limitations after set number of hard launches, so maybe this is just an indication of 100KWh's battery gate brewing?

@whitex Hmmm that's an interesting thought you have there. Considering I bought the car specifically to have Ludicrous mode, to think I would want to remove it, is well, ludicrous! Now you have me thinking if I should push the issue and make sure they check it out for any battery issues when my appointment arrives.

What are the P90DL power limitation issues you are referring to ?

I got UV treatment 10 months ago and got MCU2 upgrade two months ago without a new screen. Now the yellow stripe is back and a new screen is on order. Of course I don’t yet know if it will be a warranty item since there has been no person to person communication!
I would take some satisfaction between now and when you pick your car up or drop it off that its going to be covered. The warranty although changed in mid Jun to 2 years/25,000 miles will still cover your touchscreen this time.

Experts help me decode this:

1) Info Upgrade wit Replacement Touchscreen(1582613-00-A)

2) Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 To
Intel MCU Without New Touchscreen And Autopilot 3.0

then directly under that it says

Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 To
Intel MCU Without New Touchscreen And Autopilot 3.0

currently i have
autopilot computer - fsd computer
info processor: nvdia tegra

I really dont understand their cryptic language..so seeking your advice :)

What would be usual cost for above...

Thanks

something smells fishy there. There are two part numbers they order for the Infotainment Upgrade, and they include both the MCU/2 and IC2 which means the screens as long as the logic boards...

MCU Upgrade(1582613-00-A)
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA 1.0 (9874561-00-A)
and Quantity 4 of these: NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A)

They should have replaced the screen along with the MCU and IC...

What does your invoice say that you signed off on? Do they have the same part numbers as I mentioned above?

Note: IF they did replace your MCU, you should see that in your SOFTWARE tab where it shows you what is part of your vehicle. Also you will notice that your Bluetooth and Wifi need to be setup again (ie, pair up your iPhone back to your Tesla, and add your car back to your home wifi).

I got this coming up "screenshot" on monday, but Tesla says that i dont get the new screens, befor i bought the upgrade they told me i would be able to se netflix and dashcam would work, Tesla now wants 20000dkr to get those to work.

Any Iders ???? whats up down in this, the only difference is in this linie (MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-TegraAP2.0- EU-AP (9874562-03-A)) ?

Hope u can Help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201001-003941.jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-003941.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 199
I got this coming up "screenshot" on monday, but Tesla says that i dont get the new screens, befor i bought the upgrade they told me i would be able to se netflix and dashcam would work, Tesla now wants 20000dkr to get those to work.

Any Iders ???? whats up down in this, the only difference is in this linie (MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-TegraAP2.0- EU-AP (9874562-03-A)) ?

Hope u can Help

my model x is 90d, from 4 month year 2017, 116000km

My MCU1 started failing in February and I delayed getting it fixed to try to get MCU2. I reported it in March and they tried to get me MCU2 in May (May 5). MCU2 install failed on Day 2 and they next day got an MCU1 (MSX MCU NA PREMIUM - HW2.0/2.5/3.0, Part #: 1045006-S0-J). It was straight from Fremont. It took them 5 total days to fix my car and then a month later I got MCU2 done properly.

The MCU1 replacement was under warranty.

Did they offer MCU2 as a free replacement for your failed MCU1 in warranty or did you get MCU1 replaced as part of warranty and upgraded to MCU2 separately?

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
So if I understand correctly the screens are exactly the same: The new screens will thus have an equal chance of leakage, yellowing and what not. If this is so why not take the $ 250 savings if your screen is still good?

The new screens won't leak. They might yellow, but I think they have resolved that in manufacturing, so they shouldn't yellow either.

Reactions: elee888 and Akikiki
I am getting the ap3 upgrade and MCU2 installation. My invoice says specifically no new screen install. Which was unexpected. Build date 2017 January. 90D
Very early in this thread I replied mentioning that my screen was not replaced either but I only paid $2250. The service center indicated that the screen replacement was not necessary because there was not any change to the internals. I returned to the SC and mentioned that I would feel better if everything was new, so the SC agreed to install a new screen. I simply paid the $250 making my total MCU replacement cost $2500.

Reactions: FMinMI
I got UV treatment 10 months ago and got MCU2 upgrade two months ago without a new screen. Now the yellow stripe is back and a new screen is on order. Of course I don’t yet know if it will be a warranty item since there has been no person to person communication!
Just a quick update on yellow touchscreen after MCU2 replacement without a new touchscreen. As noted in the attached note Service Center did eventually replace the touchscreen a year ago with part number 1084333-00-a. A year later and the yellow stripe is back. They will replace this time with part number 1084333-00-c, which I believe is supposed to be the “improved won’t yellow version” -- maybe! (I realize the “c” version supposedly was available two years ago so frankly the whole deal is confusing.)