Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 with warranty...question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

So love my car, 2016.5 P90DL with no Sentry cameras, and MCU1. Bought it used a few years ago from Tesla, so came with an extended 4-yr/50k warranty. Warranty is running out, and ironically my MCU1 screen started to bubble and leak.

Submitted service request, they suggested upgrading to the MCU2, which was $2250, but now available for $1750.

My question is:
1. Would Tesla allow me to pay the difference between the MCU1 replacement(under warranty) to "upgrade" to the MCU2. (I doubt it)
2. If not, could I just get the new/refurbished MCU1 replaced under warranty, and then do the MCU2 upgrade with another service appt, and then sell the MCU1, or will Tesla try to keep the MCU1.

Just curious what my options are before speaking with someone at Tesla, which is tough to do.

Thanks,
- Zishan

You don't get to keep the MCU1 without paying a hefty core charge. So the consumer price of the upgrade means that they keep the parts. If you request to keep them, they will charge you more. MCU and the screen are two different things in-case you are confusing the two. The screen is, in a sense, just the monitor. The MCU is the computer. That's what gets replaced in the Intotainment upgrade. I'm simplifying it but that's the gist.

I don't know how the screen bubbling relates to this. I do not believe they replace the screen with the Infotainment upgrade you're referring to. They only replace the backend MCU and AP hardware...but some of that depends on your vehicle.

Ah, didn't even think about a core charge. :(

I thought I read that when they replace the screen, they replace the MCU1 with a rebuilt unit, as well as the gauge cluster screen.
I have had my screen replaced during the early days of yellow boarder issue so I can confirm that it does not get you a newer or updated CPU. Also, they only replaced my main screen, not the in-dash one.

These days, they just run a UV light over the edges to remove the yellowing and it works pretty well. Not 100% but it's much less noticeable. But for Screen bubbling, that may get you a new screen but it won't likely get you an upgraded CPU. Good luck.

MCU and the screen are two different things in-case you are confusing the two. The screen is, in a sense, just the monitor. The MCU is the computer. That's what gets replaced in the Intotainment upgrade. I'm simplifying it but that's the gist.

No, the infotainment upgrade includes replacing both processor and the touchscreen in the center display unit in addition to a new instrument cluster (behind the steering wheel). You get all that replaced.

No, the infotainment upgrade includes replacing both processor and the touchscreen in the center display unit in addition to a new instrument cluster (behind the steering wheel). You get all that replaced.
Good to know. I wonder then, back to the OPs question in regard to the warranty claim vs. upgrade Infotainment, would Telsa split the difference? hmmm...interesting now that you clarified the monitor gets replaced too.

My car was under warranty but MCU1 had failed. I could have paid out of pocket for MCU2 but I just went with the replacement. I went back 6 months later and paid for MCU2 out of pocket. You'd think they could take the edge off the MCU2 upgrade since you're still under warranty and they have to do the labor for part of it regardless of which parts go back in to fix the car, but Tesla isn't a very customer centric company (anymore).

If you plan on keeping the car for any length of time, I'd just upgrade to MCU2. It's a much better experience. The upgrade will make the car more desirable and easier to sell when you do decide to move on.

Reactions: Zishan
I can confirm after having this situation myself under the used car warranty. You have 2 choices. Replace the MCU1 under warranty. Or, you pay $1750 for the infotainment upgrade plus another $500 to keep FM+satellite radio if you elect to. You cant keep any parts. There’s no negotiating.

I went option 2. It took about a month for the parts to come in. No regrets either. It has really renewed the experience- the new display is so much smoother (twice the refresh rate of the original), comes with theater (Netflix, streaming, etc) and I’m back to getting software updates again.

Reactions: Zishan
FYI, I sued Tesla and won over this situation. The car with MCU1 clearly doesn't do what it was advertised to do after all the SW upgrades degraded it, and the car was still in warranty, so this should be a warranty claim. Judge agreed.