Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 to MCU2 written promissory note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY MCU1 on a 2017 model x had a catastrophic failure and went dark. The Tesla shop wanted to get me on the road asap and offered me a refurbished MCU1, with a written promise in my Tesla notes plus an e-mail, to credit me the MCU1 cost towards a MCU2 cost, which left me with about 275 Dollars to pay out of pocket when they get a MCU2 in, since the upgrade was 1500 Dollars. Now I’m scheduled for an MCU2 upgrade at a completely different facility and being charged 1750 plus labor! What happened to the written MCU2 upgrade cost promise for 1500 and a credit for 1225? Does that make sense to anyone else?

No it doesnt. If you still have the note from the Service Center showing the details of the agreement then this is binding on Tesla as the Service Centers are not subcontractors but are company representatives.

I have had the SC's do something similar, when I thought it was going to be free or covered. When I got the final invoice it was zero'd out, but approving/accepting a high quote is unnerving. Definitely add to your service call in the message center that it should only be $275 after the credit.

MY MCU1 on a 2017 model x had a catastrophic failure and went dark. The Tesla shop wanted to get me on the road asap and offered me a refurbished MCU1, with a written promise in my Tesla notes plus an e-mail, to credit me the MCU1 cost towards a MCU2 cost, which left me with about 275 Dollars to pay out of pocket when they get a MCU2 in, since the upgrade was 1500 Dollars. Now I’m scheduled for an MCU2 upgrade at a completely different facility and being charged 1750 plus labor! What happened to the written MCU2 upgrade cost promise for 1500 and a credit for 1225? Does that make sense to anyone else?
Just bring up the note and other documentation with them BEFORE they do the work. But, regardless of the payment status of the repair (warranty, goodwill, etc.) they are often required by law most places to give an estimate to ensure you go into a repair knowing what it could cost.