Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 updates on hold/ended?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1's on the latest firmware here. I don't mind no more updates so long as they push out one final iteration that corrects all the little bugs they keep introducing (bad enough) or even reintroducing (even worse) that they've already "fixed" at least once. I'm tired of being made to feel like we don't matter (even if we don't) when we keep getting alpha builds that clearly nobody has actually tested as a final polished update.

Speaking of reintroduced bugs, the first one that pops into my head are phones streaming podcasts/music in the background upon reconnection even though you're using Tesla's apps for audio. So your phone is streaming in the background (especially nice if you don't have unlimited data) and the only way to know is to know this problem exists and open your phone's streaming app to look at the time counter. Otherwise you find out when all of your podcasts are marked "played" and your data bill is through the roof. Grrrr.

Another issue is when I set my seat heaters via the app during preconditioning and the current state isn't reflected when I get in the car. I have to manually touch the seat to get it to show current state which also changes the setting which I may or many not want. Double Grrrrr.

There's more but those are the first two that popped into my head because they both literally just happened to me in a simultaneous symphony of ineptitude since these have been been fixed previously and then reintroduced.

Personally, I'd gladly settle for a final installment of farts and useless features if they would also make the features we want and use day to day (if they weren't broken) stable once and for all.

Reactions: N8Howell33
My favorite is when they tell you to press the voice command button to bug report that voice commands don’t work. Yes, that happened.

A workaround for that is to press and hold the Controls/Settings icon on the MCU.

and back to the original topic, yes I'm still on 2020.36.16 here too, the biggest problem here in Australia is that Tesla is still not offering HW3/FSD Computer or MCU2 upgrades to older S & X's yet.

Our 2017 S (MCU1/HW3) received 2020.44 several weeks ago (which broke the connection to our Tesla apps - which was fixed a few days ago) and our 2018 X (MCU2/HW3) received 2020.44.15 a few days ago.

With Version 11 potentially coming out next month, usually Tesla pauses all but critical software updates as they get closer to releasing new major version.

So we're likely in that blackout period when there aren't any critical updates needed for MCU1 vehicles - and the next MCU1 update could be Version 11.

Patience...

The latest NHTSA notes regarding an MCU1 recall say Tesla expects 100% failure rates and reducing writes could increase lifetime. the slowed update cycle could be part of that "defect petition"
I think this is quite likely. I’d expect a generally reduced “every several months” update cycle for MCU1 moving forward, bundling lots of bugfixes and releases together.

MCU1 with AP3 and just got 2020.40.9.2 today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PAD69JTLnrenUEEJ7

PAD69JTLnrenUEEJ7

MCU1 with AP3 and just got 2020.40.9.2 today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PAD69JTLnrenUEEJ7

PAD69JTLnrenUEEJ7
I have your set up and received 48.35 about a week ago. It did not improve anything. I can not trust my car. It stops at traffic signials of any color and has stopped for flashing lights.. If hovers closer to the center Line and just stopped controlling at the end of a turn. MCU 1 was checked by service, cleared, reset. most of this happened after this was done.. if I ever get the FSD update it will be exciting to see what the car does. You can check on update rollouts for the cars that have been registered at

Vehicle Software Updates | Teslascope