Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 upgrade - Radio and XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it. Did work. Lots of work though. You also need the cable that connects to mcu2 that's not included anywhere in your car, and tesla may not even sell it. Good luck!
Did you install all after the MCU was replaced? Are the MCU replacements service center only? Wondering if I get the module and harness purchased before the install..... ;)

Also any notes or gotchas?

Let me know.
Thanks
Z

Did you install all after the MCU was replaced? Are the MCU replacements service center only? Wondering if I get the module and harness purchased before the install..... ;)

Also any notes or gotchas?

Let me know.
Thanks
Z

If you have service center upgrade you to mcu2, they're going to completely disable your tuner via an internal config setting on your mcu2. So even if you get the harness, you'll either have to plead with them to enable it after telling them you installed tuner yourself, or find another way to enable this config by yourself (plenty of ways exist).

I did the mcu2 install myself

Radio connector pics

3 - efgPsLY.png 1 - xj88vK0.png 2 - wgb629E.png

• Informative
Reactions: Utahken
Wonder what the SC and tech would do if you installed the tuner yourself ahead of time with the appropriate harness etc....and had the connection ends just sitting in the correct location. when the tech installed the new MCU2 unit, could they(would they) just plug them in and keep going and load the correct Configuration file?
my guess is probably not. Unless maybe you were in good with a tech possibly that knew you and just wanted to help.
Ok now that I reread what I just wrote it sounds dumb.
grasping at straws because I WANT to do the upgrade.

Wonder what the SC and tech would do if you installed the tuner yourself ahead of time with the appropriate harness etc....and had the connection ends just sitting in the correct location. when the tech installed the new MCU2 unit, could they(would they) just plug them in and keep going and load the correct Configuration file?
my guess is probably not. Unless maybe you were in good with a tech possibly that knew you and just wanted to help.
Ok now that I reread what I just wrote it sounds dumb.
grasping at straws because I WANT to do the upgrade.

Nope, they wouldn't do that. They have one job, and it's to give you mcu2 without radio. To do anything else would be going against what Tesla is publicly stating.

For example when they installed a new windshield for me, the heated wiper area connector was left dangling. Rather than plugging it in to the female connection right next to it, they left it taped to the body. I had to reach in and connect the two, then enable heated wipers in my config myself.

Nope, they wouldn't do that. They have one job, and it's to give you mcu2 without radio. To do anything else would be going against what Tesla is publicly stating.

For example when they installed a new windshield for me, the heated wiper area connector was left dangling. Rather than plugging it in to the female connection right next to it, they left it taped to the body. I had to reach in and connect the two, then enable heated wipers in my config myself.

In other words, keeping FM/XM after MCU2 upgrade requires hardware (connector from salvage or sourced OEM) and access to Toolbox?

Agree. It’s time consuming and labor intensive to access the tuner. On my March 2018 S with MCU2 the tuner is located on the same bracket as the premium amplifier deep inside the dash left of the steering wheel. I have removed and installed the bracket a few times when working on the amp. I am not sure if the retrofitted tuner would go in the same place as the old MCU1 tuner or if the tuner can be removed or installed without removing the entire bracket. Maybe others could elaborate. If you are interested in the specific steps I took to remove and install the amp/tuner bracket in my car, here is a link to that post. Light harmonic sound setup with amp and sub

Tesla is not going to attach the MCU2 to any component that hasn't been installed by Tesla (or support software configuration changes).

Unless Tesla officially supports upgrading to the MCU2 radio, Tesla probably won't support that - and for vehicles with standard or extended warranties, any modifications not done by Tesla could invalidate the warranty for related components.

Even if it is inconvenient, if the MCU2 radio upgrade is possible, Tesla should provide a price for that upgrade and let owners decide if they want to spend that much $$$ to keep the radio working (except for AM).