Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 upgrade - Radio and XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,
I remember reading the day the news broke about the MCU1 upgrade, that a journalist or a poster posted that the old MCU1 cars with the AM,FM,XM radio could also buy the upgraded MCU2 radio module to keep FM and XM and only lose AM. As well as the part numbers required. I wanted to post this back to a forum but the document in my google drive is blank.
The post was either here or some place like teslarati. Which now I can't find it. If anyone knows where I can get it let me know.

My problem is I use XM a lot because I have a 10 minutes of my drive with 0 AT&T coverage.
Tom

• Informative
Reactions: araxara
Folks,
I remember reading the day the news broke about the MCU1 upgrade, that a journalist or a poster posted that the old MCU1 cars with the AM,FM,XM radio could also buy the upgraded MCU2 radio module to keep FM and XM and only lose AM. As well as the part numbers required. I wanted to post this back to a forum but the document in my google drive is blank.
The post was either here or some place like teslarati. Which now I can't find it. If anyone knows where I can get it let me know.

My problem is I use XM a lot because I have a 10 minutes of my drive with 0 AT&T coverage.
Tom
When i read the article it states you lose XM. I will not be upgrading.

The lots of work is the fact that the tuner is buried in the dash and not easily removed. Now if you want to you could just run the new cabling and zip tie the new one up under the dash but if you want it to be mounted the way it should be then you have a good bit of work to do.

Hi Rjscoder,

Do you have a part number for the cable to connect the radio to MCU2???

Thank you,

Shawn

Unfortunately no part number as it's wrapped and bundled in the main body harness on newer cars.

Here's what it looks like cut from the harness. 4 pin to 10 pin
qwXeVZO.png

The lots of work is the fact that the tuner is buried in the dash and not easily removed. Now if you want to you could just run the new cabling and zip tie the new one up under the dash but if you want it to be mounted the way it should be then you have a good bit of work to do.

It's not that awful to have to run all new cables to the dash. You can remove the tuner, it took me about 20 minutes, it's just annoying. You have to have a low profile bit to get to the screws in the back. And then it just slides out.

I took off 2 bolts from the bracket, and 4 screws from the tuner. This let me ease it down and out of the space.

It's not that awful to have to run all new cables to the dash. You can remove the tuner, it took me about 20 minutes, it's just annoying. You have to have a low profile bit to get to the screws in the back. And then it just slides out.

I took off 2 bolts from the bracket, and 4 screws from the tuner. This let me ease it down and out of the space.

Is that an S or X? Mine definitely did not just slide out after removing those same bolts/screws. That was a 17 Model X.