Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Tesla have promised me a free upgrade of my MCU1, when the part on order becomes available:

1 MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED

Just wondering if this will give me a 3G to LTE upgrade or not? Not sure if the modem is part of that component or not.

Even if it was, they could give me a refurbished one with 3G I guess too.

Regards

Wonder if it is worth trying to upgrade the modem at the same time then. Might be easier to do when pulling everything apart anyway. As opposed to several years down the track when the telecommunication companies disable 3G support.

I enquired about the same thing when looking into updating my failing eMMC. I was told the 3G to LTE update is a separate cost of around £400 and would be the same cost if it was done with the LTE upgrade or as a separate stand-alone job. I pointed out that the car would already be in bits if they did the eMMC upgrade saving work needed for the LTE switch - their response was 'that's what we charge, do you want it or not?'

They did also very heavily push the MCU2 upgrade, which at that time was the full price of around £2,300 without any radio replacement being offered.

In the event, the car was booked in for the eMMC replacement (which I was going to pay for as out of warranty) but Tesla later cancelled the appointment due to parts shortages and told me to 'come back when it fails completely.'

Suffice to say, nothing has been done yet and its limping on...

Hello,

Tesla have promised me a free upgrade of my MCU1, when the part on order becomes available:

1 MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED

Just wondering if this will give me a 3G to LTE upgrade or not? Not sure if the modem is part of that component or not.

Even if it was, they could give me a refurbished one with 3G I guess too.

Regards
I paid to upgrade to MCU2 just a few days ago, and I can thoroughly recommend it. About $2300.
It is like having a new car.
It is in the region of 10X faster, without exaggeration. Navigation routes are calculated with 1-2 seconds. Touch controls are as responsive as an iPad. Map scrolling lag is in the milliseconds.
Aside from general usability improvements you also get all the other features that are entirely absent from MCU1, such as YouTube, Netflix, Twitch, Caraoke, games etc.
It must also have a better sound chip, because my well-worn Spotify playlist sounds better, particularly bass response.
The only negative I have noticed is that sometimes it takes a minute to connect to LTE when starting the car. The old MCU1 would connect to 3G with 10 seconds or so. Doesn't happen every time, but full disclosure...

I paid to upgrade to MCU2 just a few days ago, and I can thoroughly recommend it. About $2300.

Adding my agreement for the MCU2 upgrade. I was due for my 4 year service and added in the MCU2 upgrade with it just 2 weeks ago (service delayed a few months due to covid). The problem is my podcast backlog isn't going to go away anytime soon now that I have the option to play games and watch Netflix while charging. Poor me 🤣

Reactions: Novatec
What is the preferred way to contact Tesla concerning a MCU2 upgrade? I find contacting Tesla to be a painful process lately. Selected a number of options from the voice menu which didn't appear be entirely representative of my call, then waited awhile on hold, then got disconnected.

Finally spoke to a Real Human(TM). Price I was quoted was $2300 + extra for FM radio. Digital radio included in the $2300. Which seems to contradict this webpage Infotainment Upgrade which says DAB requires the radio upgrade also. So wonder if the information I was given was incorrect. Have to think about how often we use radio in the car. I think not often.

If I understand that page correctly, I will also need to get a premium Connectivity package at $10 a month, in order to keep music streaming? Is this correct? Oh wait, looks like I am fine "All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2019 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car"

I have been told again, verbally, that the standard MCU2 upgrade most definitely includes DAB. Which could be a problem in rural areas, where the FM tuner is recommended (e.g. to receive local emergency alerts). As this is rarely the case for me, I have opted out. But trying to confirm this in writing, as it makes me nervous that that their official page - Infotainment Upgrade - contradicts this. Apparently this page is outdated.

Correction: I have now been told that it is not possible to get DAB radio with or without the tuner upgrade (which is FM only). But it is possible to get DAB radio stations via tunable/Internet (will have to verify this myself).

Which aligns with my previous understanding that Tesla doesn't support DAB radio in Australia (kind of disappointing actually).

OK, have upgraded to MCU2. Not yet tried anything new, but does appear to be working.

Looks like the latest information I got is correct, no sign of DAB or FM. I might have paid extra for the tuning if it provided DAB too, but I was told it was FM only, and considering the only (rare) time we have used the radio in this car is for 774 Melbourne which is not even on FM, it didn't seem to be worth it. If we are traveling in regional areas (unusual) where we need local emergency announcements (e.g. fires), probably better to take a portable radio that can do DAB and AM too.

Is this delay to connect to LTE because you are still near your home router? My connects instantly as soon as I start.
I thought so at first, but it has since happened when starting driving in other locations, and also usually doesn't happen even when starting the drive from home within wifi range.
It is fairly rare, maybe 1 in 20 times it will take a good 2 minutes or so before connectivity starts.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I had my MCU upgraded about a month ago, including the radio upgrade. No AM, but I can definitely confirm that it has DAB in addition to FM.
How very odd. The Tesla support person left a message a voice message - I have the recording - confirming that I would not have access to DAB.

I suspect I may have been given incorrect information. Yet again.

The webpage Infotainment Upgrade says:
Tesla offers an additional Radio Upgrade, including the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas, that allows customers to retain access to FM radio and DAB radio.
which appears to suggest that if you didn't already have DAB then you won't get it. But I find this wording very vague.