Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New games don't work yet. They show "waiting for update". I have seen various suggested theories to fix, such as reboot (didn't help), open menu when connected to wifi (not helped yet, but plan on retrying), and upgrade to a new Tesla release (obviously I can't do this yet).

Note that tunein is not the same thing as dab, One runs over the Internet, the other one runs directly over the airwaves. This is one aspect that was initially confusing the Tesla support people.

I did not speak to the Tesla service people about this (because it is hard to do so) only the Tesla support people. I tend to suspect that the service people may have a better understanding of what they are talking about.

Based on my experiences/observations with Tesla, anything that the support people say needs to be in writing. Otherwise you can't count on it being accurate. Including simple things like you should visit the service center without an appointment to fix this (a frequent source of disagreements). Asking for it in writing seems to be the trigger for "I better double check that this information I just gave really is correct". But even then after double checking I was told that DAB wouldn't be provided even with the tuner upgrade. Still not convinced either way on this yet.

New games don't work yet. They show "waiting for update". I have seen various suggested theories to fix, such as reboot (didn't help), open menu when connected to wifi (not helped yet, but plan on retrying), and upgrade to a new Tesla release (obviously I can't do this yet).
Mine took a few hours to update once connected to wifi.
Not sure if it helps to have "Advanced" selected for your software update preferences. I have that selected, it is supposed to mean I get more frequent updates rather than just the main ones.

What year is your car?
Can you do a photo of the MCU screen showing DAB is there? Many of us would like 'proof' to show the service departments when they say it is not available.
It's an early 2018 Model S. With the MCU1 it had AM and FM, now with the MCU2 (and radio) upgrade it has FM and DAB. I have attached a photo I just took of the media centre, showing the radio and station list as well as the DAB indicator and signal strength at the top left.

Attachments

• MCU2-DAB.png
    MCU2-DAB.png
    667.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
Thanks for the pic, makes me wonder why some people don't get it once they upgrade to MCU2 (well based on a few posts here).
At least now when I am finally fed up with MCU1 I can go in to battle with Tesla to say there is proof DAB is available on Aus cars.

Thanks for the pic, makes me wonder why some people don't get it once they upgrade to MCU2 (well based on a few posts here).
At least now when I am finally fed up with MCU1 I can go in to battle with Tesla to say there is proof DAB is available on Aus cars.
This may be a silly question, but are the owners who don't seemingly have DAB access in areas serviced by DAB radio?

Might have something to do with the build dates. I have a 2017 (end of year build since I got my car in Dec) Model S, Just did the MCU2 upgrade & the extra $$ for the FM radio (took a gamble that I Might get DAB based on the screenshots on this thread) and didn't get DAB radio :( .. just have FM radio and using Tune-In for AM..

A bit disappointed no DAB radio but honestly the speed and fluent response of MCU2 tempers the disappointment somewhat..

I had my car done in Feb. $2300 with no tuner. My wife’s car is going for the same on Tuesday. The quote they sent for approval is at $2900. I wrote back and said wtf? They came back and told me there had been a price increase but that they’d honor the old price since I’m a loyal customer etc... I suspect they inadvertently had wifey’s car down for the tuner equipped model? Or has there really been an increase?

I had my car done in Feb. $2300 with no tuner. My wife’s car is going for the same on Tuesday. The quote they sent for approval is at $2900. I wrote back and said wtf? They came back and told me there had been a price increase but that they’d honor the old price since I’m a loyal customer etc... I suspect they inadvertently had wifey’s car down for the tuner equipped model? Or has there really been an increase?
I paid $2900 incl GST (so the price perhaps did go up). From the Website, if you have HW 2.0 or 2.5 for Autopilot then its $2900 incl GST. All other cars is $2300... Your wife's car prob had HW 2.0 / 2.5 but and maybe your car has somthing else... looks like the wife / you r gonna get a discount. Lucky you.