Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 Vector maps. When?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the new MCU2-cars have the Vector maps enabled already and the new greyscale google maps skin running on the 17" screen.

Why haven't we seen the new google skin and Vector maps pushed out to MCU1-cars as of yet? This would improve MCU1 performance a lot and we'll get rid of those images that has to load for each tile when pinch/zoom is performed that really makes it slower. And the new google skin/color scheme is also lot nicer and gives the UI a more modern look than the old one.

Got 2018.24.1 and the look and feel of the navigation changed on the IC and MCU. Looking at the Google Map, I noticed the "Tesla Beta Navigation" and the Google Map date is 2018. The labels on the IC cluster changed also.
That could be the new Vector maps ?

IMG_0982-1.jpeg
IMG_0984-1.jpegIMG_0980.jpegIMG_0981-1.jpeg

Got 2018.24.1 and the look and feel of the navigation changed on the IC and MCU. Looking at the Google Map, I noticed the "Tesla Beta Navigation" and the Google Map date is 2018. The labels on the IC cluster changed also.
That could be the new Vector maps ?

View attachment 313470View attachment 313472View attachment 313474View attachment 313475
You have for sure the new navigation.
For the vector map, the only way I know to confirm is to remove the satellite view and if all water is now grey instead of blue, and the map in general is shades of grey (except the traffic), then you have the vector maps. Should be as I think 24.1 enable them.

I got 2018.24.1 yesterday and maps on MCU1 for sure changed for coloring etc.

The map UI is not laggy or slow as some have reported. Loading map tiles may have been a little slow, but this only one drive test, so might be due to network speed locally.

HOWEVER, my combination is MCU1, 2018.24.1 and no new navigation (Europe). I wonder if new nav makes a difference?

The other way to test, I’ve seen is that text on the map for point lanes stays horizontal when you rotate the maps.

We assume Europe is getting vector map content even if not getting some of the other aspects of he new nav?
Yes, texts stay in map UI horizontal on mine.

No new nav though, IC map is still the old one with separate pictures as ramp instructions.

I bet the migration roadmap (pun intended) is not easy for Tesla sw team with all these combinations.

No new nav though, IC map is still the old one with separate pictures as ramp instructions.

I bet the migration roadmap (pun intended) is not easy for Tesla sw team with all these combinations.
Lol, exactly. Interesting that European cars have the MCU map upgrade but not the IC one (since that’s tied to the overall new nav....).

International operations are such fun...

Lol, exactly. Interesting that European cars have the MCU map upgrade but not the IC one (since that’s tied to the overall new nav....).

International operations are such fun...

Fwiw, just got the new navigation, but « still » on 21.9.
7323E543-93A2-437B-BA00-F39AF97AC87E.jpeg

So yes indeed, these are independent deployments.

For those who don’t believe in coincidences, today I plugged a wifi AP close to the car in the hope it would facilitate 24.1 download. In the end, no 24.1 but new nav, so good deal anyway.

Reactions: boaterva
As an anecdotal note: I noticed from wifi router that car started downloading something big on Friday the 13th (scary?). By next morning there was 6.9 GB downloaded. The new nav didn't activate until this morning (17th), though, so I guess it takes some time to unpack/validate the download. There was some minor traffic from the car on the router during this whole time, including one 100 MB download burst.

It sure looks nicer, and on initial test, it didn't route me to work via a cycling (dirt) route anymore. EU roll-out is real!

As an anecdotal note: I noticed from wifi router that car started downloading something big on Friday the 13th (scary?). By next morning there was 6.9 GB downloaded. The new nav didn't activate until this morning (17th), though, so I guess it takes some time to unpack/validate the download. There was some minor traffic from the car on the router during this whole time, including one 100 MB download burst.

It sure looks nicer, and on initial test, it didn't route me to work via a cycling (dirt) route anymore. EU roll-out is real!