Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 vs MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled for MCU upgrade to MCU2 to include FM/XM radio tuner on February 3rd. I have a 2105 MS 85 with AP1 and would like to know for those who have upgraded is it worth it? What are the most beneficial part(s) of the upgrade I should and could expect?

The value of the upgrade really depends upon how much longer the OP intends to keep the 2015 S.

When we purchased our 2017 S, our plan was to keep that vehicle for 8 years - we're now halfway through our planned ownership, with 4 years left.

We decided to spend the $3000 for the MCU2 upgrade, new display and replacement radio module - because we'll benefit from having the new MCU for another 4 years.

But if our S had been a 2015, we probably would have passed on the upgrade, if we only had 2 years or less of ownership left.a

As for the benefits of the upgrade - the largest number of new features are only accessible while the vehicle is parked. If AP2+ vehicles are ever approved for FSD, those features could then be made available while the vehicle is in motion. But for AP1 vehicles that can never be approved for FSD, those "entertainment" features will always be restricted to when the vehicle is parked.

For us, the decision was based on bringing our 2017 S up to the same capabilities as our 2018 X, which now both have MCU2 and FSD.

I have upgraded. I had previously upgraded to HW3, and running HW3/MCU1 lead to some problems in terms of responsiveness and crashing of the IC and touchscreen. With the upgrade, the screen is of course more responsive and no longer intensely irritating. Dashcam and Sentry mode now work effectively (albeit with crappy color). And my daughter insists that the sound system is significantly improved. The cost has now dropped to $1500 for MCU2 + $500 for FM/XM retention. I was fortunate to get the new price, as I expect you will as well. In the end, I'm happy with the upgrade and the car feels much more current. Software upgrades will work more effectively, and if Tesla adds apple music and Pandora I'm confident I'll get it (not sure about that with MCU1). And yeah, you get more games, hulu and netflix.

I am scheduled for MCU upgrade to MCU2 to include FM/XM radio tuner on February 3rd. I have a 2105 MS 85 with AP1 and would like to know for those who have upgraded is it worth it? What are the most beneficial part(s) of the upgrade I should and could expect?
I have a 2015 85D and will only get the repair done and not upgrade. Car is almost 6 years old and will probably sell within the next 2 years.

Tried to find the answer and couldn't filter meaningful results. Quick question:
For those of you that did the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, did you loose all the Nav favourite points you recorded and the charging points the car records automatically and the Profiles you defined? Or is it recovered from the MCU1 and loaded into the MCU2?
Hoping to do the upgrade but very sad that my Service Center says upfront that it is not possible to transfer the info from the MCU1 to the MCU2.
I find this odd.
Thanks in advance for your comments

Tried to find the answer and couldn't filter meaningful results. Quick question:
For those of you that did the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, did you loose all the Nav favourite points you recorded and the charging points the car records automatically and the Profiles you defined? Or is it recovered from the MCU1 and loaded into the MCU2?
Hoping to do the upgrade but very sad that my Service Center says upfront that it is not possible to transfer the info from the MCU1 to the MCU2.
I find this odd.
Thanks in advance for your comments

2016 refresh AP1 no FSD. I upgraded and kept everything: gates, garage door, seats, trips, nav points, profiles, etc.

You do have to retrain/reprogram some and among those, I got most upset for losing my lifetime trip meter that I've very carefully not reset for all these years.

I, too, had a lifetime trip meter. It would have been intact now after the MCU2 upgrade had I not listened to the service centers suggestion to reset that lifetime because it was taking up memory which they claimed caused all my MCU problems. Oh well, I kept a note on my phone and regularly update that. But sometimes I wonder why I even do that. For what will I ever use that data. Useful as old utility bills that I dutifully keep because my father did?o_O