Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 - who’s gonna try 2020.48.37.8?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it pretty ridiculous that we're forced to pay $1500 to receive basic functionality paid for

1. Frequent reboots and problems not being fixed because of a design failure
2. Paying for unlimited connectivity which is being revoked by 3G cutting service
Just to clarify:
Are you saying the MCU2 upgrade would cause me to lose unlimited connectivity? Or is it a general statement not relating to MCU2?

So basically, we do not get any of the new updates without mcu2? I should have done my research before getting this car smh. Now there's mcu3 so how long before mcu2 is useless?
we do get updates, but not a lot of new features. MC2 can be installed to the car for $1,000 - $1,500 and many features will be available.

MC3 most like will won’t be offered to us, screen on the new cars is side ways. Like the model 3.

Will we continue to get the same updates as the new cars? Obviously not fsd, but things like the new UI? I have only seen it for 1500, never 1000.

we do get updates, but not a lot of new features. MC2 can be installed to the car for $1,000 - $1,500 and many features will be available.

MC3 most like will won’t be offered to us, screen on the new cars is side ways. Like the model 3.
When I think back over the updates my MCU1 car has been getting I have to go back a long way to think about something that was a positive change. Most of the updates since MCU2 came out just continue to break existing functions whilst offering nothing new.
And most importantly people need to keep in mind the MCU1 for many years operated just fine with all things working, it all went pear shaped when the newer hardware came out. I don't think it was Tesla's plan to cripple MCU1's so people would update, they just didn't want to continue with MCU1 specific software builds that worked for that hardware spec.

The $1,000 under the subscription only gets you the HW3/FSD computer, not MCU2. (You would have to pay $1,500 to get MCU2 after that.)

If you want both it is a better deal to get the MCU2 upgrade, which includes the FSD computer, for $2,000. Then you could subscribe to FSD for $100/month.

Didn’t know that. Was considering the 1k for fsd and doing monthly $100 but thought I’d get a fully new computer.

Can you clarify what features go with what?

Like the cam recordings to usb not available on mine. That’s mcu 1 issue right? That won’t be upgraded? Same thing with slow browser?

On mine, it says 2G, 3G, 4G. I've never looked at this "additional vehicle info" screen before.

BTW, after this update, my IC froze up and required 2 reboots to get it working again. It's always something with these updates...

I gave up. Scheduled for MCU2 upgrade. EMMC issue causing frequent reboots with no fix in sight. Elon won. Take my $1500.
Me too :( Not happy about. It irks on that my estimate, it includes the recall for eMMC as well as the infotainment, even though they are not really doing the recall work, just upgrading and tossing or refurbishing the old board/chips.

On mine, it says 2G, 3G, 4G. I've never looked at this "additional vehicle info" screen before.

BTW, after this update, my IC froze up and required 2 reboots to get it working again. It's always something with these updates...
Thanks for confirming. Does it say anything about which network (AT&T in the US) or which SIM it uses? I hope Tesla adds this cell info to all cars, but right now it seems limited.

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I'm confused by the 2020.48.37.8 software version. I have a 2014 Model S with 8gb Emmc recall performed. During the upgrade they advised me my SD card failed and that is why I have old firmware and no new map updates. They have replaced the SD card and it still says 2020.48.37.8 software.

I have a 2013 Model S and it has 2021.24.25.1 installed. Both cars are MCU1. Why the extreme difference in firmware? My 2013 has a new enough software that I can do the safety score required for Tesla Insurance.

My 2014 says the software isn't new enough and I can't get the safety score.

Both cars are running the NA-2020-48-12628 map software.

I have a 2013 Model S and it has 2021.24.25.1 installed. Both cars are MCU1. Why the extreme difference in firmware? My 2013 has a new enough software that I can do the safety score required for Tesla Insurance.

My 2014 says the software isn't new enough and I can't get the safety score.

Have you paid for FSD on the 2014? If not, that may be why. (Or maybe not, if you are just getting the Safety Score because you bought Tesla Insurance.)

Other than that the 2021.x firmware hasn't really started rolling out to MCU1s yet. (In fact you might be the first one to report it. Are you sure that your 2013 hasn't had the Infotainment upgrade performed on it?)

Thanks for confirming. Does it say anything about which network (AT&T in the US) or which SIM it uses? I hope Tesla adds this cell info to all cars, but right now it seems limited.
It doesn't include network info (eg., ATT). It does include cell IMEI, MAC address, a number of car options, etc. As I said earlier, I've never looked at this info before, so have no idea what, if any of it, is new.

Have you paid for FSD on the 2014? If not, that may be why. (Or maybe not, if you are just getting the Safety Score because you bought Tesla Insurance.)

Other than that the 2021.x firmware hasn't really started rolling out to MCU1s yet. (In fact you might be the first one to report it. Are you sure that your 2013 hasn't had the Infotainment upgrade performed on it?)
No, my 2014 doesn't have cameras. I'm just wanting the Safety Score for the Tesla Insurance. There's a $60 price difference in my monthly premium with a score of 100 vs 90!

I'm for sure that I have a MCU1 with the Tegra but the 2013 has been upgraded to LTE when I replaced the screen.

No, my 2014 doesn't have cameras. I'm just wanting the Safety Score for the Tesla Insurance. There's a $60 price difference in my monthly premium with a score of 100 vs 90!

I'm for sure that I have a MCU1 with the Tegra but the 2013 has been upgraded to LTE when I replaced the screen.
I wonder how the Tesla Insurance Safety Score calculator is even working for you. Without cameras and/or radar it can't calculate the FCW or following distance metrics... My guess is that your 2013 shouldn't have it calculated either, and that they will eventually figure that out and take it away.

Installed this version a few days ago. Did 2 reboots immediately after installation.

This morning, got in the car and got the "press the brake pedal for 30 secs..." Then, started driving and noticed two weird things very quickly. First, the radio had no audio. Second, the turn signal did make any sound when turned on (and it was blinking on the IC). Rebooted and things back to normal again. Odd...