Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 crashes frequently what to do? 2017 S75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my MCU1 upgraded for $2K to MCU in April 2021 because my MCU1 EMCC was a disaster and was slow and crashed regularly- I couldn't wait for the replacement component. A few months after the upgrade, I started have regular crashes of the center screen and the instrument screen. They happen while driving, and it means that the speedometer, directionals, navigation, side collision warning, forward collision warning, cameras, audio system, HVAC etc... fail for a period of time. The worst is when you discover the system has frozen when you start to make a lane change on the freeway and notice you signals won't work. I have had the car in for diagnosis, and every time the find that crashes have happened due to a software problem- they've mentioned database corruption, and the most recent time they mentioned my contact file had become too large (it is no larger that it was when I was able to sync my contacts on my 2005 Acura TL, my 2005 BMW 5 series and my 2013 Chevy Volt with no problems. They've promised a fix in future software releases, but the problems continue- I crash on average every other week.

The Palo Alto service center just responds that it will be fixed in future releases and not to request service again. After spending $2k to "fix" my MCU1 problem, I'm pretty frustrated.
Two questions
- if anyone has had similar problems or knows of existing solutions would like to hear what can be done if anything
- I have spent way too much time on this and want to contact someone at Telsa HQ customer service because the local center is not response, do you know who/how to contact them?
- Has anyone had success with a lemon law claim over the MCU? This is a safety issue, the value of my vehicle is affected, and they've failed more than 3 times to fix the issue .

Reactions: Malujerry
I believe you have a year warranty so you should ask for a new MCU2 before April. Put it in writing. If they delay or deny your claim escalate you claim before April. Losing certain functions is a driving hazard and is dangerous. if necessary file a claim with your State attorney genral. NTSB

Reactions: ddjohns1
(1) I would recommend you pick a new service center and don't share any details about what Palo Alto did or didn't do. Just take it in, tell them what's going on and let them diagnose it without sharing any of the backstory.

(2) As for contacts, I have 733 unique contacts, some of them with 3 to 12 phone numbers, and three address, and up to 5 email address as well. No problem with syncing that.

(3) I also have one of my trip odometers that has NEVER been reset since September 2017 (when I picked up my Model S with MCU/1). They were able to bring all of my data over when I did the optional Infotainment Upgrade Package (Infotainment Upgrade). Note: I did not opt for the $500 Radio option as I don't use Radio only Streaming services.

I am considering the infortainment system upgrade, too. This is the reason I am hesitant to do. My MCU isn’t crashed that often, probably just once or twice if I recounted correctly. The only feature I really desire is the video reply of the dash cam. Just can’t make my mind if I want to do the upgrade.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I thought sentry mode and dashcam would be interesting to use as well, but I had problems with the USB stick- I kept getting "invalid USB" or something like that even though I was using an approved USB stick, and after one my attempt to fix the MCU they suggested I not use it because it could be the problem. If that is the only reason you are thinking of upgrading the infotainment, I would look into stability of those applications on this forum before spending the $2k. Hopefully my MCU experience isn't typical.

CA Lemon law only applies to vehicles still under the new vehicle warranty, so that’s a non-starter.

There is no formal or effective escalation process within Tesla. They don’t care.

If you’re within 2 years / 25k miles of having the upgrade done, I’d insist they replace it again under that warranty as it’s defective. They will almost certainly say no, but then you could file for arbitration.

In reality, it probably IS some sort of software issue related to your specific set of conditions, paired phone, etc. I’d try a few other things.

1) drive for a couple weeks with your phone unpaired. Does it still crash? If no, a new MCU probably isn’t gonna fix anything.

2) try a factory reset.

I thought sentry mode and dashcam would be interesting to use as well, but I had problems with the USB stick- I kept getting "invalid USB" or something like that even though I was using an approved USB stick, and after one my attempt to fix the MCU they suggested I not use it because it could be the problem. If that is the only reason you are thinking of upgrading the infotainment, I would look into stability of those applications on this forum before spending the $2k. Hopefully my MCU experience isn't typical.
if that is the case, it just put a big dark cloud over my head for this upgrade.

I do not recollect instrument screen ever crashing, until my 2017 Model S was "upgraded" to 2021.24.28. Since then, instruments screen has crashed many times while driving (black screen -> T logo -> Back to business). This is very distracting and IMO a safety issue.

The car has MCU1. Thus this might not be related to MCU2, but could be a wider software regression.