Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Crashing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Tesla perform the MCU1 -> MCU2 retrofit last year. However, my MCU2 rebooted 3 times while driving the past week (once on 2020.48.30 and twice thus far on 2020.48.35.5). It usually takes about 90 seconds or so to turn back on, but obviously it's not fun to drive with both the IC AND MCU being fully black. At what point do I actually try reaching out to Tesla service? Or do I chalk it up to buggy software builds? I'm curious to hear from others if MCU2 crashes are common.

Reactions: rickyjb
After it comes back, do a Bug Report by saying "Bug Report My MCU/2 keeps crashing after the Infotainment Upgrade". Then open up a service call in the app and put in the details that it keeps crashing, and mention that you did a Bug Report and give them the exact time of when you did the Bug Report.

When they triage your service request ticket, they can download the Bug Report look at it, and then hopefully contact you for corrective action.

Note: make sure to mention in the service ticket that the crashes have occurred on two separate version of the software as well.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
I had Tesla perform the MCU1 -> MCU2 retrofit last year. However, my MCU2 rebooted 3 times while driving the past week (once on 2020.48.30 and twice thus far on 2020.48.35.5). It usually takes about 90 seconds or so to turn back on, but obviously it's not fun to drive with both the IC AND MCU being fully black. At what point do I actually try reaching out to Tesla service? Or do I chalk it up to buggy software builds? I'm curious to hear from others if MCU2 crashes are common.

Interesting what was the build date of the car, I have a November 2016 s60 with MCU1 replacement (to MCU1) and it is crashing on average of once a week I would do a bug report but the car has NEVVER had functional voice command, right now I am logging them on my phone. pretty sure I got a lemon

Interesting what was the build date of the car, I have a November 2016 s60 with MCU1 replacement (to MCU1) and it is crashing on average of once a week I would do a bug report but the car has NEVVER had functional voice command, right now I am logging them on my phone. pretty sure I got a lemon
12/16 build date, but I'm not sure that matters given it's a retrofit MCU2 (with Tuner2 for FM radio). It's always taken me like 3 tries to get the bug report to capture what I'm trying to tell it o_O

I have this problem also on my 12/2014 P85D. The first time I complained they sent a ranger out to do the 12V disconnect and firmware redeploy. I’ve opened another ticket now. We will see…

No PLENTY of other failures, Motor, axles, MCU 1 (twice), Steering wheel buttons (4X), Steering wheel lever 2X...yeah....Its a Lemon
Sorry for your misfortune. Are you having other problems with MCU1? My first one lasted almost 40k miles and two years. I currently have the USB drive removed which seems to be helping the freezing on my second one, but I look forward to its death and replacement with the recall eMMC fix. That one has to last me until the battery warranty expires, at which time I am going to DIY battery swap. After that I can upgrade to MCU2 or 3 or 2.1 or whatever.

I have this problem also on my 12/2014 P85D. The first time I complained they sent a ranger out to do the 12V disconnect and firmware redeploy. I’ve opened another ticket now. We will see…

they canceled my service appointment and said it’s a known issue in the graphics card that is being actively investigated and should be patched. Hmmm. As a former MCU1 owner, I’ve heard some Variation on that many times…