Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - do u need to request AP3 at same time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - have MCU1 AP2 2017 x100d without FSD activated . The MCU1 is pretty glitchy and want to go for upgrade but also want to ensure AP HW gets upgraded too vs separate trips. When requesting Service appt they offered the MCU2 upgrade but wouldn’t upgrade to AP3 b/c I didn’t purchase the FSD upgrade. Most forum posts are saying that AP3 automatically comes with MCU2 even if you don’t have FSD purchased.

do I need to request the AP3 HW upgrade separately? Anything I should do / watch for with service center to ensure this is done right?

In your app appointment, tell them what you want them to do. MCU2 and HW3. They will send along an estimate a few days later showing that the MCU is $$$$ and the HW3 is $0. You accept the estimate then you will start getting emails when they order the equipment and ETA of arrival to your service center.

I guess i was wondering if i don't buy FSD before MCU2 upgrade, do i have to go back in post MCU2 for separate AP3 upgrade or do they just do it and not tell me about the AP3 upgrade:) I'm on bubble of splurging and doing everything at once.

Hi @tommytuna,

If you or the previous owner purchased FSD
Check the Monroney Sticker - You are entitled to HW3 (free because paying for FSD pays for HW3)
If others have received HW3 without anyone in the chain of ownership paying for FSD they were lucky, not entitled to it.

With all of that being said if you wish to upgrade to MCU2 go for it without HW3.

If later you wish to purchase FSD
HW3 installation is a simple and fast procedure.
They usually have more problems with the software than installing the hardware.
There is no reason to wait to combine these services... unless you want to, or don't
want to spend that much money in the current time frame...

Good luck,

Shawn

Perfect Shawn - makes sense. I won't over engineer my upgrade path and trust the system. MCU2 seems worthwhile to do right away and perhaps i'll watch for improvements to FSD and pull trigger when i'll see more benefit at which point AP3 upgrade. I assume as part of HW3 they install the new computer but all external cameras etc remain the same?

Perfect Shawn - makes sense. I won't over engineer my upgrade path and trust the system. MCU2 seems worthwhile to do right away and perhaps i'll watch for improvements to FSD and pull trigger when i'll see more benefit at which point AP3 upgrade. I assume as part of HW3 they install the new computer but all external cameras etc remain the same?
Cameras and radar stay the same.

Most forum posts are saying that AP3 automatically comes with MCU2 even if you don’t have FSD purchased.
Lot of semantics mixed up on the thread ...ur car most likely had AP2.5 if late build 2017

when u get the MCU2 upgrade HW3 is included..I will find my invoice later and post up. HW3 is what u need for FSD ..As others have noted u don’t get AP3 new cams

• Disagree
Reactions: ARMARM
Lot of semantics mixed up on the thread ...ur car most likely had AP2.5 if late build 2017

when u get the MCU2 upgrade HW3 is included..I will find my invoice later and post up. HW3 is what u need for FSD ..As others have noted u don’t get AP3 new cams

I upgraded MCU1 -> MCU2 last week. With it came the free AP3 upgrade, despite car having EAP only. Previously HW2.0/AP2.0 installed. Now running HW2.0/AP3.0/MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Crap... Sorry I read your original post wrong. The rest are correct, unless you BUY FSD, you will not get AP/HW3 hardware installed.

This is incorrect. At least as of last week AP3 was installed by default with an MCU2 upgrade. I didn't even request it, but it was on the W/O, and I can confirm I now have FSD computer after the purchased upgrade of the MCU

Wait... Just read your post. If you have HW2, you DO NOT have FSD computer. That is HW3.

I purchased a 2017 X P100D in Oct. It came with Enhanced Auto Pilot, Tegra MCU and other HW2.0 cameras/radar, etc. (original equiptment)

I upgraded the MCU1 -> MCU 2 last week. (after reading tons on this forum, I came to the conclusion that the AP3.0 Computer IS installed when MCU2 Upgrade is purchased.)

I can confirm after installation of the MCU2, they also upgraded the AP computer, and I now have FSD computer. I didn't request the upgrade, as you do not need to (at least as of last week). Who knows if that's changed this week with Elon's new company letter.

upload_2020-12-5_9-50-0.png

Reactions: outdoors
But you don’t have HW3? No HW3 = No FSD right?

you have the MCU and AP3 to take full advantage of FSD features but I believe you still need HW3 to actually FSD.

What does your features list under your tesla screen show?