Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Mismatch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with any insights, your input is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2015 MS P85DL AP1.0

Upgraded to MCU2 last fall.

When I picked up my car from SC, new issues were found that were not there before the upgrade. SC wanted to hours to diagnose.

I said there was nothing wrong when I brought vehicle in (except the eMMC black MCU1 screen) and that I don't want to pay for them to diagnose.

SC said the alerts/problems may clear on their own.

Still have the issues 12 months later.

ISSUES:

1. Intelligent battery sensor is not communicating with MCU2 (GTW-w026 ibs-Mia)

2. Heated seats have stopped working.

3. While driving, the vehicle thinks it is always in Neutral and that the Parking Brake should be on...(GTW-u014 Parking Brake Not On, Vehicle May Free Roll.)

My Partial Diagnosis:

Traced the ibs wiring to its MCU connector behind the MCU2 (not a lot of fun to get back there).

This connector is not connected and is just hanging back there....and worse, the new MCU2 doesn't have an open slot for it to plug in.

I see on the Tesla Service wiring/circuit diagrams that this unplugged connector in question also has the signal wire for the heated seats.

I can provide more details if needed.

Is there a different MCU2 that I should have gotten that has a placed to connect my dangling connector?

Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I thought there is an adapter cable that connects some versions of the old MCU1 connectors to the new MCU2 connectors. It should be part of the MCU2 retrofit, but I haven't seen it myself. I vaguely remember it was not all MCU1 versions, but just some. Anyway, it would make sense if the adapter cable was not installed that various items will not work.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
Did Tesla upgrade the MCU or did you do it elsewhere? Whoever installed the MCU should make it right, unless you did it yourself.
Thanks for your reply.

Tesla SC did the upgrade last fall. I found the dangling connector a 2 weeks ago...and took the vehicle to the SC last week.

Tesla's SC position has been...and still is...bring the vehicle in for diagnosing (several hours at their labor rate...$130+ per hour...plus parts and labor to fix).

(I've visited the SC multiple times in the past 12 months saying that I continue to have strange alerts and no heated seats since the MCU upgrade)

While at the SC last week....

I showed the SC manager the dangling connector (had the dash all apart so that it could be seen).

Also showed pictures/videos that proved the continuity of the wire/pin between the IBS connector at the battery and the corresponding dangling connector behind the MCU2,

Also explained that Tesla's online circuit and connector diagrams confirm that the heated seats and ibs sensor signal wires route to that dangling X428 connector.

Said this explains my GTW alerts and no heated seats.

SC Manager was unimpressed

He repeats "You need to drop off your vehicle for several hours for us to diagnose the problem".

Then he says that the dangling connector and the IBS sensor are parts of the digital FM radio (which I declined to include with the upgrade).

(The IBS sensor reports the health of the 12V battery to the MCU...and is not a digital radio.)

SC manager just repeats that service needs to diagnose.

I don't trust our SC to own up to their mistake, and I expect them to charge me to diagnose and the parts/labor to fix this issue.

I feel I need to understand what went wrong last fall:

Did they forget to install an adapter that will allow these signal wires to be indirectly plugged into the MCU2?
Did I get a "wrong" MCU2 version (another version that has a open slot for that X428 connector)?
Was Service suppose to splice the heated seats and ibs signal wires into a different "MCU connected" connector?
Were they supposed to remove the wires/pins from the dangling connector and manually place them into a different "connected" connector?
Something else?

If I can understand what went wrong last fall vs what should have happened...and maybe go to another SC in the state...then I think I can get the repairs done free of charge.

BTW, I bet this is a relatively easy problem to fix. Would think many 2015 P85Ds have successfully had their MCUs upgraded without these issues.

Upvote 0
I thought there is an adapter cable that connects some versions of the old MCU1 connectors to the new MCU2 connectors. It should be part of the MCU2 retrofit, but I haven't seen it myself. I vaguely remember it was not all MCU1 versions, but just some. Anyway, it would make sense if the adapter cable was not installed that various items will not work.
I bet you are right. I've been searching the net for "MCU2 adapters", "MCU2 AP1.0 adapter", etc., but no luck so far.

Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
Maybe KyleDay can help you since he done the upgrade himself

Upvote 0
Maybe KyleDay can help you since he done the upgrade himself

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I had read that KyleDay thread before, but his vehicle is a bit different with the AP2.0 vs my AP1.0.

I will review again, but I need to find info (a Tesla Service invoice with an adapter listed, etc.) for a 2015 P85D AP1.0 going from MCU1 to a MCU2.

Kyle's was pretty much plug and play once it got to the connectors (I believe).

Upvote 0
If a different service center isn’t too far, I would try that. Maybe they have a more capable service manager.
It would be a 3-hour trip, but it will be worth it if that SC manager takes care of it.

I'm thinking that my MS must have some unique wiring from its past (I'm the 3rd owner).

First owner enabled/upgraded to FUSC, 4G LTE, heated steering wheel and rear seats as well as Ludicrous. So somewhere back then, maybe a non-standard connector/etc. got added???

Upvote 0
@Nateve - Note that I don't know for sure if there is an adapter. If so, it should have been included with one of the MCU2 retrofit kits. I don't think it has a separate order number (at least that I can find). A tech that had done these before should know in an instant. The trick is getting to that tech. They are well isolated from the public.

Upvote 0
It's worth noting that most SCs will make you approve a 2 hrs diagnostic fee. I've had the car to the local SC a few times and I have never seen that charge, probably because the actual repairs for me have always been a bit more that 2 hours diagnostic. But they seem to initially always make me approve it. It may be that the SC just needs you to approve it so they can get the process working in their system.

I would like to think that once they dive into it, that they may see it is was an error on their end and correct the issue and not charge the fee. On other hand if you feel this particular SC is underhanded, they may charge you for the repair.

Upvote 0
@Nateve - Note that I don't know for sure if there is an adapter. If so, it should have been included with one of the MCU2 retrofit kits. I don't think it has a separate order number (at least that I can find). A tech that had done these before should know in an instant. The trick is getting to that tech. They are well isolated from the public.
Thanks.

I agree...a tech would likely know exactly what happened and the appropriate fix (and is probably something I can do...like moving the pins to another connector).

Service Manager is standing between me and the answer (the tech). (Maybe I should hang out in SC parking lot at quitting time...and see if I can bribe a tech!)

If I agree to the diagnostic time, then it becomes a gamble of whether manager will waive the diagnostic fee and the labor to repair (guessing up to a $800 gamble).

Based on prior experience, I expect them to initially charge me...and then I may or may not be able to convince someone (regional service manager?) to reimburse me.

If a simple fix...I just want to bypass SC altogether.

Upvote 0
This is a pic (1st picture below) of the same dangling connector I have.

Looks like when this guy got his MCU upgrade, the tech took these wires out (4 wires) and did something with them (probably put them in one of the other MCU connectors).

When tech finished removing those wires, guess he forgot to throw the connector away.

Just need to know which mcu2 connector and exactly which wire goes where.

I sure don't want to land these wires in the wrong place, might cause some real damage to the MCU2/etc.

1665576635418.png

Here is my connector (the green with orange stripe is the ibs sensor wire, the green with violet stripe is for the heated seats).

1665577015566.png

Upvote 0