Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I had the MCU2 retrofit done. The MCU2 is really good, it gives a second life to the car
The car no longer displays on the agenda when I get into the car, how do I set up to see my schedule as soon as I open the door?

I have 2 complaints though:
- sometimes during the first minutes of driving the car displays no network, the old MCU didn't do that
- sometimes the 2 screens are off and I have to wait 30 seconds for them to turn on

If anyone has a solution for these 3 points I'm interested

- sometimes during the first minutes of driving the car displays no network, the old MCU didn't do that
From my experience, this seems to have started with the recent software builds (and/or possibly related to AT&T 3G shutdown?). But as you appear to be in France, Tesla presumably uses a different cellular carrier there.

I feel like recently I've had more cellular connection issues after cars been idle after updating to v11 than I did previously but I've also heard that the MCU2 in retrofit cars doesn't have the correct hardware required to let it sleep correctly so its a byproduct. Not sure how accurate that is since mine seemed ok up until recently.

the lack of network connectivity is a recent software bug that started happening a couple months ago and hasn't been fixed yet.

if you have to wait so long for the screens to come on you prob have it set to power saving mode or whatever the **** its called. Basically it turns the car more off than normal to save battery but because of this it takes longer to boot up and is not worth the 1% you might save in power. Its in the settings somewhere I'll try to find it when i get in my car later and update its spot.

For the agenda i think you are referring to the calendar? That one is again prob a setting checkbox you need to click, i don't know because i have no use for it. i check my calendar when i get to work and not a moment before.

I have the MCU2 upgrade and originally LTE connection was normally solid getting into the car even after MCU2 upgrade. but yes ever since one of the recent v11 updates I often get no connectivity for first couple minutes. very annoying, but not unlike Tesla to introduce a bug like this and have it linger unfixed

if you have to wait so long for the screens to come on you prob have it set to power saving mode or whatever the **** its called. Basically it turns the car more off than normal to save battery but because of this it takes longer to boot up and is not worth the 1% you might save in power. Its in the settings somewhere I'll try to find it when i get in my car later and update its spot.
Energy saving mode only applies to MCU1 and does not exist on MCU2. The nature by which the car sleeps is an inherent behavior of the new Intel chip used with MCU2.

I'm well of the differences in sleep behavior having written my own data logger program that I use to pull data over the API for monitoring. I found the behavior of how the car would respond to API get data requests changed when I upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 back in mid-2016.

I'm aware some, I think principally with very early cars, have reported seeing increased vampire drain after upgrading to MCU2. I've not encountered that with my mid-2016 AP1 MS90D. My car sits in storage for 2-3 months at a time due to being on overseas assignment. I've actually seeing now that my net loss of RM per day has decreased since my upgrade to MCU2. I left my car charged to 80% and plugged in. My logger manually detects as it nears 50% and with feature that when it hits a desired level will automatically trigger it to recharge. Its now been 43 days since I last charged, having lost on average of just under 1.8 rated miles per day. I expect my logger will trigger to recharge sometime in the next 24 hours, but have been able to go about 10 days longer this time than I was expecting based upon past MCU1 behavior.