Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 rebooting often

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my MCU upgraded in November to MCU2 on my MX100D. Other than slowness, we really never had too many issues with MCU1, although I would have to reboot it manually sometimes for TuneIn to work, or if I wanted to use the Web browser.

Since the MCU2 install we have had it reboot on us many times on its own. One time while driving on the highway and trying to use ABETTERROUTEPLANNER on the web browser. Since both screens are tied to it, both went blank. Luckily the MCU2 doesn't take long to reboot, although losing your screens while at highway speed can be unnerving. We were using AutoPilot at the time, and the car maintained speed and steering. I guess this is because that is run by the AP3 computer. It has rebooted or frozen completely while on the highway several times and when it froze, speed indicator didn't change, Navigation screen wasn't updating so I have to do a restart while driving.

Other times it has rebooted often after a SC stop, when we have been watching Netflix. We'll X out of the Netflix, go back to unplug, and when we reenter the car we see the Tesla logo on the big screen and the dash screen is blank. This has happened on many different software versions. We have had 4 software updates and are currently on 2020.48.26. Have others experienced these reboots?

Never seen this on mine. Only idea would be to do a complete power off from the menu (wait five minutes before touching a door handle or anything else) but it probably won’t help. Guess is the new MCU has bad memory but that’s a WAG. If that doesn’t work, yeah, make an appointment.

firmware? MCU1 or 2? I was having this problem since I upgraded to MCU2 and it was a known issue with Tesla through many software updates. I don't know when the last time was, but it has been months. I am currently on 2021.32.22

My reboots weekly, sometimes multiple times a week.
Same same. I thought it was due to my X being a 2017 (although I’ve got MCU2) but I see it being an issue with a lot of newer ones, too. If it needs to reboot as regular computer maintenance thing, I wish it would do it at night while the car sleeps. During a trip last weekend, mine rebooted as I was getting off the freeway to Supercharge at an SC I‘d never used before. Luckily, I had a pretty good idea where they were located and headed in that direction.

My 2018 MX was doing this a lot after I got the MCU2 upgrade, and always disturbing on the highway at 70 mph. I hope I am not going to jinx myself, but neither I or the car has rebooted for at least 6-8 months. I just assumed whatever it was the issue was fixed with an update. Hope they get this resolved whatever the issue. Having it reboot while getting off a highway or while trying navigate an unknown area can be very concerning.

If you can find a service center and put the car in service mode you can look at the hidden logs.. the techs dont investigate the logs but they tell a story of exactly what's going on. my model x has at least 15 ongoing errors going on in the background from tas2 , ap, di , gtw, and thc .. i would like to compare other logs of people who own a model x 2020

This is occurring often on our Model X LR Plus (2020). 3 services so far. no fix.
Extremely disconcerting to lose backup cam or speedo while driving.
One more shot for Telsa to fix, then it's going to be returned under the Lemon Law.

My 2019 X LR (Raven) started doing this... 3 times while driving since last Thursday night. I have an appt to drop it off at the SC Monday (2/21).