Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll remain skeptical — the satellite view is not vectorized in either platform and the speed difference there is pretty astounding.

Routing is another huge difference — plotting a route from San Francisco to Phoenix takes a whopping minute on MCU1 and only about 5 seconds on the Model 3.

Are you sure the MCU2 sat view is not vectorized? When I sat in a MCU2 car recently and tested it seemed like all text on the map was rotating like vectors and not like the images that have to re-render the street-names, city names etc as soon as you pinch the map around.

Are you sure the MCU2 sat view is not vectorized?

Just to clarify.. There are multiple views on the MCU big screen when navigating. There is the regular 'street map', and there is the satellite view. The satellite view are basically photos taken from a satellite. Those are photos/pictures, not vectors.

Left is street map, right is satellite view. The right are images. The left could be vectorized. Not sure.
mapexample.png

Just to clarify.. There are multiple views on the MCU big screen when navigating. There is the regular 'street map', and there is the satellite view. The satellite view are basically photos taken from a satellite. Those are photos/pictures, not vectors.

The satellite view in MCU2 tesla is like you say photos, but the street names, cities, traffic information, etc are all vectorized as a layer on top of the photos. In MCU1 everything including street names is in the image. This makes the MCU1 solution slower.

• Informative
Reactions: Tozz
The satellite view in MCU2 tesla is like you say photos, but the street names, cities, traffic information, etc are all vectorized as a layer on top of the photos. In MCU1 everything including street names is in the image. This makes the MCU1 solution slower.
Including things in the image will not make it slower, especially if the images are already complex ones such as the satellite image and already pre baked. In fact, having to render 2 layers, one for the image and another vector graphics together will make it slower. Maybe that is why MCU1 has only one graphics layer with burned in labels, while MCU2 has graphics plus a vector label layer.

At this point, I am not burning to upgrade the MCU from 1 to 2, until there is actual functions that will not be available for MCU1.

If I was to place a bet, I do not think MCU1-2 upgrade path will actually happen. Tesla is too busy building new cars, fixing broken ones (if they get to it), then performing optional enhancement upgrades.

Reactions: davidc18
Including things in the image will not make it slower, especially if the images are already complex ones such as the satellite image and already pre baked. In fact, having to render 2 layers, one for the image and another vector graphics together will make it slower. Maybe that is why MCU1 has only one graphics layer with burned in labels, while MCU2 has graphics plus a vector label layer.

At this point, I am not burning to upgrade the MCU from 1 to 2, until there is actual functions that will not be available for MCU1.

If I was to place a bet, I do not think MCU1-2 upgrade path will actually happen. Tesla is too busy building new cars, fixing broken ones (if they get to it), then performing optional enhancement upgrades.
I think that including street labels in the image layer will make it slower. The reason being is if you rotate it more than a certain amount, it needs an entire new set of images for the street labels to be right, whereas with vector satellite it keeps the same images and can just rotate that around

My SC in Switzerland told me that the retrofit kit should be available around September. The kit will include the screen too.

My SC in Switzerland told me that the retrofit kit should be available around September. The kit will include the screen too.

Interesting... I wonder if this will coincide with v9 software release that includes capacity that only works in MCU2. I just don’t see a huge demand to upgrade to MCU2 for thousands of dollar if it was just to make the UI a little snappier after the recent software updates.

Reactions: davidc18
Interesting... I wonder if this will coincide with v9 software release that includes capacity that only works in MCU2. I just don’t see a huge demand to upgrade to MCU2 for thousands of dollar if it was just to make the UI a little snappier after the recent software updates.

I agree. However I could see MCU2 being required for CarPlay or screen mirroring which would make it a more desireable upgrade. That’s speculation of course and I hope it’s not the case.

I agree. However I could see MCU2 being required for CarPlay or screen mirroring which would make it a more desireable upgrade. That’s speculation of course and I hope it’s not the case.
I can guarantee you that the Tegra 3 processor in the MCU1 is not capable of either such thing, at least at the level you would expect.

That said, I wouldn't expect either CarPlay or screen mirroring to actually happen.

Reactions: saniflash
I can guarantee you that the Tegra 3 processor in the MCU1 is not capable of either such thing, at least at the level you would expect.

That said, I wouldn't expect either CarPlay or screen mirroring to actually happen.

I don't think it's necessarily a processor limitation either, it might be simply a matter of new hardware. Carplay has certain hardware requirements on the car that are not purely software created constructs on top of industry-standard USB.

(I believe the Ford Focus EV had a retrofit procedure for CarPlay and it involved both a firmware update as well as a hardware replacement of the USB hub and port going to their infotainment computer)

Well, if anyone has a few extra bucks lying around and wants to tinker...

2018 NEW Tesla Model X & S Media Control Unit MCU 1450737-00-B LCD Touch-Screen | eBay

multiple back connectors appear to be in different locations, at least 2 are new (small green connector and black rectangle), and 1 is gone (big black connector only on MCU1).

Also seems to have an ethernet port on the side

Anyone know what the large black connector is for on MCU1?
I'm amazed that it has a September 2018 manufacturing date. :eek:

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-26_10-7-25.png
    upload_2018-6-26_10-7-25.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 104