Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a short-term view. The long term view would be how much would these changes save us in parts, assembly, maintenance, and repair costs? They could easily calculate an ROI on the R&D required to re-engineer everything that needs re-engineering. And for a car design that's going on 10 years old, I'm sure there's A LOT of things that need a new, fresh look to rebuild the platform for the next 10 years.

Car makers have been doing this for decades now. If automakers can shave 10 cents of a part, they will. Ford could have fixed the ill-fated Pinto gas tank for $11 per car (about $80 in today's dollars), but they chose not to and hundreds of people died as a result.

(more details here: Ford Pinto Fuel Tanks - Top Automotive Engineering Failures)

According to Wikipedia; 27 deaths occurred. There were estimates of hundreds possible in memos. Same number attributed to transmission failures in Pintos.

MCU worth 7500?

I'd easily pay $5,000 for it now, and would have if it were offered as an option when I ordered in December.

You will always regret something and I think the MCU you will find as one you shouldn’t have been regretting about.

I appreciate you telling us how we should feel, but I know myself pretty well. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the middle zone of having already taken delivery before I found out about the new MCUs (by less than a week). I would have happily forfeit my deposit and ordered another had I known it was coming.

I'd easily pay $5,000 for it now, and would have if it were offered as an option when I ordered in December.

I appreciate you telling us how we should feel, but I know myself pretty well. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the middle zone of having already taken delivery before I found out about the new MCUs (by less than a week). I would have happily forfeit my deposit and ordered another had I known it was coming.

Since there’s not much CPO inventory and a long time to get a new S you can look to sell your S now.

You will lose more than 5000 mainly because of the tax credit but that’s normal that you need to pass your gains on that to the used car buyer.

If you are in for 5000 “easily” another 5 might be tolerable.

In exchange the Tesla you get will be even better than the one that gets delivered today with the MCU.

You don’t want be the person from the outside looking in and being a MCU have not.

You’ll see drivers on the road with their new MCU laughing joyfully. Like a scene from it’s a wonderful life or something.

You’ll only miss the HUD by a week but you’ll get that precious MCU.

My precious MCU. I must have it.

The precious MCU to rule them all.

Last edited:
You will lose more than 5000

I'm sure it'd be closer to $30k than $5k. Does it get tiring setting up all these straw men?

The Tesla you get will be even better than the one that gets delivered today with the MCU.

Maybe, but I'm not particularly interested in other features, only having the stuff I expected work correctly. This screen is barely usable as-is, and I had actually complained about it to the SC before hearing about the new MCU. Sure, I 'got what I paid for', but there's only so much you can check out in a short test drive. And like I said, I'm not making demands, only saying that I'd pay a significant amount for it, and they didn't handle it well.

The precious MCU to rule them all.

I'm happy you're happy with the existing MCU. I won't even make fun of your apparent desire for a HUD. I personally couldn't care less about a HUD, but I'm above mocking you for it.

Reactions: Amit519 and kodek
One potential upgrade avenue is CarPlay/Android Auto. I have it on my Bolt and it works rather well. The main benefit of this model is that your car gets more powerful as you upgrade your cellphone.

You could imagine replacing the center console screen completely with a CarPlay-compatible bespoke Retina-class device with an MCU input.

The default view would be split screen; half MCU, half CarPlay, with downsampling of the MCU output. When you need to use the pokey Tesla UI at full resolution, you press a button, and the screen input/output switches completely to the MCU. Press a button again, and you're back in CarPlay or in split screen.

Audio is handled by Bluetooth.

I wouldn't prefer this solution, but it does have some advantages, namely that you can use Apple or Google navigation, which is much better than Teslas. But if you just wanted that, just mount your phone to the windshield and be done with it. :)

Reactions: ironwaffle
I'm sure it'd be closer to $30k than $5k. Does it get tiring setting up all these straw men?

Maybe, but I'm not particularly interested in other features, only having the stuff I expected work correctly. This screen is barely usable as-is, and I had actually complained about it to the SC before hearing about the new MCU. Sure, I 'got what I paid for', but there's only so much you can check out in a short test drive. And like I said, I'm not making demands, only saying that I'd pay a significant amount for it, and they didn't handle it well.

I'm happy you're happy with the existing MCU. I won't even make fun of your apparent desire for a HUD. I personally couldn't care less about a HUD, but I'm above mocking you for it.

You need to take 7,500 from any resell loss, and it will not be as big as you think. You will also get more than just the upgraded MCU. My point is if you were willing to just throw $5,000 to surf on your car faster you might as well get rid of your Tesla immediately with what is in the pipeline.

I'm mildly interested in a HUD, with more interest in the aftermath once it is release. It will trigger a upgrade supercycle and also trigger a hundreds of threads on those who "missed it by a week, a month, a quarter, etc".

Tesla can't do anything without creating resentment because people can't stand their neighbor having a better car than them.

Tesla has to focus on the following priorities:

1.) Model 3 Production and associated refinements.
2.) Maturation of EAP/FSD on AP 2.5/2.0
3.) Model S/X refresh to face off against next round of EV competition

Retrofitting MCU on the existing fleet really ranks a couple hundred spots below that on priority. If you want someone to work on your Tesla 5 years from now, you should also recognize those same priorities.

I love my car. I don’t have the new MCU. I got what I ordered, everything else is a welcome bonus. It was new 4 months ago. I have better things to be doing in my car than browse the web.

Apart from being a bit quicker (and a faster web browser) at present there is no known benefits from MCU1 to 2.

I am happy.

Thanks for showing up with some common sense. I brought up waze on the Tesla browser twice, and then used it on on my phone like what everyone else does.

MC2 I am sure helps with production on Tesla's side. For the consumer, MC2 is more of a solution looking for a problem. Faster is always better but, seriously - what does it actually do that would be more practical than prioritizing Model 3 production or EAP/FSD refinement?

Since there’s not much CPO inventory and a long time to get a new S you can look to sell your S now.

You will lose more than 5000 mainly because of the tax credit but that’s normal that you need to pass your gains on that to the used car buyer.

If you are in for 5000 “easily” another 5 might be tolerable.

In exchange the Tesla you get will be even better than the one that gets delivered today with the MCU.

You don’t want be the person from the outside looking in and being a MCU have not.

You’ll see drivers on the road with their new MCU laughing joyfully. Like a scene from it’s a wonderful life or something.

You’ll only miss the HUD by a week but you’ll get that precious MCU.

My precious MCU. I must have it.

The precious MCU to rule them all

I disagree with your view, but this made me laugh.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: Guy V and MXWing
You need to take 7,500 from any resell loss, and it will not be as big as you think.

$7500 plus additional depreciation plus state sales tax ($7500) plus car rental plus 3 months wait = a huge amount more than $5,000.

My point is if you were willing to just throw $5,000 to surf on your car faster you might as well get rid of your Tesla immediately with what is in the pipeline.

Lol. Now it's just to 'surf faster'. Again, I don't care about what's in the pipeline in terms of new features. The current MCU is abysmal. I'm not sure why you think you should be the arbiter of what people value.

Tesla can't do anything without creating resentment because people can't stand their neighbor having a better car than them.

And again, I complained about the screen even before I knew about the new MCU. This has nothing to do with neighbor resentment, especially since I'm willing to pay $5000 even though my 'neighbor' is getting it for free. I wouldn't even complain.

Reactions: Amit519 and kodek
Easy. For such a big change as a new MCU, it allowed all the engineers and bean-counters to step back and brainstorm "What else can we fix/upgrade/optimize/reduce out of this aging system that was designed about 10 years ago?"

Imagine all the enhancements to connectors, wiring harness layouts, module locations, or even the modules themselves that are now all options to upgrade or enhance to reduce complexity, reduce costs, improve maintenance, make repairs and future upgrades easier, etc. I wonder how many times a Tesla engineer said "aw, crap! why did we design this thing this way, when this other way is so much better, now knowing what we know now!!?!?!" Hindsight is 20/20. Now they actually get to go in and fix all those things that have been dogging them for years.

Take for example the Instrument Cluster. Perhaps in 2010 or whenever, there was no option to drive a second display from the Tegra (or some constraint that prevented it).. so they were forced to add a second dedicated processor to drive that screen, connected via ethernet... now, they can get rid of all that extra cost and complexity and failure points by just supporting a dual display setup on the Intel board.

I can imagine they've also implemented a virtual SIM card, so cell networks and countries can be changed on the fly, without the need to remove the CID and swap a physical SIM.

A another good example is the move to solid-state fuses like in the Model 3. Has anyone checked if these new MCU2 cars no longer have fuses boxes? Now would be a great time to make big changes like that.

And these are just the big things I can think of as a non-Tesla engineer in 10 minutes. Imagine what the engineers themselves would be able to come up with when given the chance of a nearly blank slate to re-do all the mistakes or mis-steps still lingering from the original design.

Well expressed Hank! Excellent points all.

Another upgrade possibility is to just sell your Tesla and buy an Jaguar I‑PACE, which supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. There you'll never have to worry about upgrading again, as most interesting functions are routed through your phone. That solution is a bit extreme, of course, but it can be the cheaper option, given that it's priced $10,000 less than the Tesla Model X 75D.

Reactions: Plug Life
Another upgrade possibility is to just sell your Tesla and buy an Jaguar I‑PACE, which supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. There you'll never have to worry about upgrading again, as most interesting functions are routed through your phone. That solution is a bit extreme, of course, but it can be the cheaper option, given that it's priced $10,000 less than the Tesla Model X 75D.

Can I add a third row to the iPace for $10,000 more?

And let’s play a game. What are two things the iPace will not be doing in the picture below?

3A18E795-AFF0-4DB8-862D-5C1F1A13CEBC.jpeg

And let’s play a game. What are two things the iPace will not be doing in the picture below?
View attachment 287300

The I-PACE is not for everybody. That doesn't invalidate it as a choice for some. It cannot tow or accommodate a third row. On the other hand, it costs less, and uses CarPlay and you can upgrade the equivalent MCU. Different strokes for different folks.

But on the subject of towing: I have an X and have seriously considered towing, but have always declined to so, because it halves the range for any serious load. It can be done, but it's a joke; if you want to drive 500 miles at 65 miles an hour, you'll spend five hours supercharging, minimum.

If you're going to rent a U-Haul trailer, spend an extra $10 per day, rent the entire truck, and buy some carbon offset credits. You'll have a much better time: easier to load, more range, and you won't have to disconnect it when charging.

The I-PACE is not for everybody. That doesn't invalidate it as a choice for some. It cannot tow or accommodate a third row. On the other hand, it costs less, and uses CarPlay and you can upgrade the equivalent MCU. Different strokes for different folks.

But on the subject of towing: I have an X and have seriously considered towing, but have always declined to so, because it halves the range for any serious load. It can be done, but it's a joke; if you want to drive 500 miles at 65 miles an hour, you'll spend five hours supercharging, minimum.

If you're going to rent a U-Haul trailer, spend an extra $10 per day, rent the entire truck, and buy some carbon offset credits. You'll have a much better time: easier to load, more range, and you won't have to disconnect it when charging.

What if you need 6 passengers with you at the same time?

The X is the ultimate utility vehicle. You can find cars that do parts of what the X can do better. Nothing can beat the sum of its parts though.

And it’s not $10 more per day. Those have per mile charges, higher insurance, no driving amenities like navigation, TACC etc.

It’s no competition for a Suburban towing long distances but I don’t have to do that often in the X. The flexibility that the X can do it all is what matters.

There were 3 things the iPace wasn’t doing
Transporting 6-7
Towing
Supercharger (towing or not)

Anyway to get back on topic about the MCU. I have a possible idea on how to upgrade this along with other AP 2.5 features like internal cabin camera.

It's been established that retrofitting the existing MCU by pulling out the screen and the electronics behind it is a no go.

What if one were to add another screen like what the Model 3 has to existing Model S and X's? It's going to take up more real estate and won't be as "clean" but you end up with another monitor to use.

Any computing power you would have gained from MCU2 would just be offloaded to the "tablet". MCU2 tablets talks back to the car via a hardwired mechanism (preferred) or possibly internal Bluetooth/WLAN.

A front facing camera would give you the same capabilities as AP2.5. Adding a rear camera would serve as a frontal dashcam.

I've considered the possibility of mounting an iPad to serve as a utility device but a Tesla one integrated with the vehicle could be intriguing.

Why is replacing 100k screens so hard? Especially when customers are willing to pay for the cost? Even if we don’t count maintenance like swapping brake rotors and such, it is not rare for car manufactures to do recalls covering that volume. My Honda Odassey has to have their rear seats rails replaced, and I am pretty sure there are more Honda Odassey than Model S/X out there. It doesn’t have to happen all at once, perhaps over the next year as cars come in for service for other reasons.

I heard that there are about 2000 tesla for every sc, assuming only 25% owners have eligible vehicles and want to do this for the whatever cost, then each sc would only have to do 2 upgrades a day to get through the entire fleet in a year.

They are so far ahead of Model 3 production that they definitely have the time to commit to pet projects like this.

Think Tesla is going to list a SKU for $5,000 that right now provides no tangible benefit other than surf the web faster? Then deal with people wondering why its $5,000 when they think salary is only $15/hr for Tesla technicians? LOL GTFO with that nonsense.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing