Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news. Elon just replied someone question about MCU retrofit. He said "Yes, you can upgrade hardware, although we also wrote software to accelerate rendering on old MCU. Coming out soon & makes a big diff."
This is sooooo vague.

It does not say MCU specifically could be upgraded, for all we know he means the whole car as the "hardware"

Keep in mind we are "fairly" certain that the IC was also replaced with the MCU, so it may require a new MCU and IC to work with the MCU2 CID. Not to mention the new antenna in the left rear view mirror for the 5g WIFI.

I would bet dollars to donuts that any MCU1->MCU2 retrofit would use the existing IC panel and run the old software (ported).

I'd like to take that bet. Especially the run the old software piece of it.

You think writing software once is harder than replacing the entire dash (MCU, harnesses, IC) in every car that wants an upgrade?

The software that runs the IC just sends a data stream over ethernet to the Tegra2 that runs the IC. That doesn't seem so hard to port over, since the code is already written, probably in C or C++ or some variant.

Reactions: GatorGuy
Retrofit really should not be needed. If the hardware is used properly that Tegra-3 will easily handle that type of load with over 30fps frame rate. Heck, it should even do full HD Netflix on that screen and idle while doing so. Would be handy while supercharging :)
I agree that the problem with MCU1 is mostly software.
Elon also said there will be a software update for the old MCU which will improve performance.
I think I'll wait for the software. The old MCU is slow but not a problem for most uses. (I don't use it to browse the web... although a browser update has also been promised "real soon now".)
I should note that I'm somewhat of a curmudgeon and haven't upgraded to 4G either. I'm happy with the constant software updates which have improved so many aspects of the car (AP1 forever!).

You think writing software once is harder than replacing the entire dash (MCU, harnesses, IC) in every car that wants an upgrade?

The software that runs the IC just sends a data stream over ethernet to the Tegra2 that runs the IC. That doesn't seem so hard to port over, since the code is already written, probably in C or C++ or some variant.

Umm, no it doesn't at least not on MCU1. The IC displays things from the can bus, and yes some bits from the MCU, but the IC isn't just a dumb display terminal for the MCU1, now it is or appears to be a simply a display terminal for MCU2 and probably not even on the network or can bus, but until someone visits me or someone else with an MCU2 car, we can only speculate for now, but it's pretty good speculation at this point given all we know and the behaviors we've seen.

Reactions: MP3Mike