Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retrofit should be possible IMO. The question is whether Tesla will do it. The spokesperson for Tesla confirmed the new MCU, but said "it has little impact on the user experience". Clearly they dont see this as a major change, which it is.

He could be implying that after the software update (vector maps etc) the difference between the two units will be virtually unnoticeable.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I hope that older cars can be retrofitted. I think it would be to Tesla’s benefit to figure out a way where they can logically charge a reasonable cost for cars purchased at various time periods to upgrade the MCU. While it is understandable that this is the model of Tesla (progressive upgrades regularly), it is hurtful when you just commit to a 100K+ car and you just missed the big CPU upgrade.

• Disagree
Reactions: Guy V and Superendo
I am currently a Model S 100D owner who tool delivery June 2017. If Tesla refuse to upgrade for a reasonable cost, then it is very clear indication why someone should never buy and own a vehicle. There should be a way to upgrade pieces of a tech product without throwing away the entire thing. This is another straw for on-demand / rent / pay as you go.

Fingers crossed that they will allow an upgrade, and not charge and arm and leg for it.

I am currently a Model S 100D owner who tool delivery June 2017. If Tesla refuse to upgrade for a reasonable cost, then it is very clear indication why someone should never buy and own a vehicle. There should be a way to upgrade pieces of a tech product without throwing away the entire thing. This is another straw for on-demand / rent / pay as you go.

Fingers crossed that they will allow an upgrade, and not charge and arm and leg for it.
So no other car has ever gotten an upgrade?

I think it is reasonable for Tesla to charge for upgrade however I think they should set different rate for Tesla which purchased at different time. It's a little bit unfair if they charge the same amount for someone who just got delivery last week and someone who got the car 2 years ago.

I agree.

If the new hardware however is necessary for the car to carry out autopilot as it had been advertised, then one can argue the new hardware ought to be retrofitted for free.

I agree.

If the new hardware however is necessary for the car to carry out autopilot as it had been advertised, then one can argue the new hardware ought to be retrofitted for free.
The MCU has nothing/little to do with AP. Unless you think map speed is essential to it... The AP computer is a separate beast.

Edit: We really did post at the same second.. :D

The MCU has nothing/little to do with AP. Unless you think map speed is essential to it... The AP computer is a separate beast.

Edit: We really did post at the same second.. :D

Actually, I have the theory that Tesla doing the MCU refresh before release of their "light years ahead Tesla map" because both at important for coordinate with AP2.0/2.5 hardware to reach level 4 autonomous driving.

Actually I'd like to believe this theory because if this is true, Tesla will have to offer retrofit upgrade plan for all current owner with AP 2.0/2.5

There should be a way to upgrade pieces of a tech product without throwing away the entire thing
Has anyone ever upgraded, let's say, Mercedes .... adaptvie cruise radar in their car? Or, ECU? or blind spot detection system?

I understand that it is unpleasant to see an upgrade to a product you just bought, but let's try to stay rational - Tesla is a business, not a charity. It would be unreasonable to expect that they will update all their previous cars to the newest tech as it comes out. What I think reasonable is for Tesla to offer a paid upgrade path, but of course, my "reasonable" might be miles off from others.

My service manager knows nothing of an upgrade (yea or nay) but will keep me in the loop.

The newer screen may draw extra power, but I expect the older screen is fairly inefficient, too. I expect an upgrade would be fairly simple, and very welcome.

Actually, I have the theory that Tesla doing the MCU refresh before release of their "light years ahead Tesla map" because both at important for coordinate with AP2.0/2.5 hardware to reach level 4 autonomous driving.

Actually I'd like to believe this theory because if this is true, Tesla will have to offer retrofit upgrade plan for all current owner with AP 2.0/2.5
That's not correct. @verygreen said that APE has its own maps, independent from what you see on the MCU.

I bought. MS P100D in late oct '17 and MS 100D in Dec '17, now both cars essentially have outdated hardware. :(. I guess I will hold off on ordering my 2 M3 reservations ready to configure, until any hardwae changes needed are made. o_O