Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tuner 2 for non-premium cars (without XM radio) which provides AM/FM functionality only is 1143703-00-B. I seem to recall it's $280 over the counter at tesla. Installation sucks. Wiring is fairly easy, and I did custom wiring since it's only 4 wires.
Kdday, if I wanted to purchase the digital tuner when I had Tesla install the MCU2/AP3, can they do that without a lot of new wiring? I am willing to spend the $280 plus labor so I do not lose my AM/FM radio.

Wiring is fairly easy, and I did custom wiring since it's only 4 wires.
Could you provide a how-to on the wiring? Like what kind/gauge of wire, where specifically are they to be attached on each end, and how to properly do the Ethernet wires (i.e. twisted). Did you take any photos? I can solder, but without having seen the item, I don't know what I am getting myself into ahead of time. Maybe it's best to start a new thread for a DYI tuner installation.

• Funny
Reactions: KyleDay
Correct. Mcu2 has a new Ethernet based tuner that physically fits in the same slot as the mcu1 analog based tuner. It requires new wiring which is just two wires for power/ground, and a twisted pair for Ethernet to mcu2. It's simple to conceptually retrofit, but rather bothersome to physically remove the old one and install the new one. It took me a few hours of yelling and cursing, plus two bandaids, to get the tuner swapped out. I'm sure that's why tesla isn't doing it for retrofits.

Looking at the diagram trying to comprehend. Not a great reader of diagrams but trying my best. I would appreciate some guidance.

1) Power seems to be the same however ground looks like two different wires on analog tuner while the digital only has one. Also the connectors have different numbers and different amount of pins. (also 0.5 vs 0.35 sizes)
2) Analog tuner has CAN +/- leads for body canbus. I assume you cancel those out. Also there are +/- pins for Radio R and Radio L, then there are shields for L and R for a total of 8 wires for the analog tuner including canbus lines. While the new ethernet only has 2. (BR+ / BR-) Do you guide a new "fakra" ethernet from tuner to new MCU's back? Or are you able to use two of the old wires already leading to the old MCU?

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
not a mistake

The mcu2 needs new digital tuner instead of analog one in mcu1 cars.
And that replacement is a lot of labor, so somebody run the numbers and decided that it's good enough as is.

Um, pray tell how a satellite and FM-HD radio is "analog?"

I think it's fair to say that the MCU1-compatible radio receiver is not compatible with MCU2. Perhaps you are saying that the audio output of the MCU1 tuner module is analog to the amplifier and the tuner output and MCU2 audio input are digital. Is that what you mean?

I believe others report that the radio module in MCU1 vehicles is in a very inaccessible location, so Tesla's solution is to simply abandon the module in place, ignore the extant antennas and say, "sorry, no radio for you!" :eek:

Last edited:
Um, pray tell how a satellite and FM-HD radio is "analog?"
the analog tuner has an analog line to the MCU. digital one has ethernet.

Perhaps you are saying that the audio output of the MCU1 tuner module is analog to the amplifier and the tuner output and MCU2 audio input are digital. Is that what you mean?
yes.

I believe others report that the radio module in MCU1 vehicles is in a very inaccessible location, so Tesla's solution is to simply abandon the module in place, ignore the extant antennas and say, "sorry, no radio for you!" :eek:
yes

The built-in TuneIn app provides access to many of the local AM/FM stations, plus national channels (news).

Without the radio, the big loss is live sports - since sports broadcasts (especially for professional and major college) are blacked out from streaming.

TuneIn Premium and XM streaming does provide access to the live sports broadcasts. Unfortunately, neither of these are supported as built-in Tesla apps - and would require running on a smartphone connected by Bluetooth. The big negative on this is having to use the smartphone's display in order to interact with those apps - which isn't convenient while driving (where is the screen mirroring Musk promised several years ago?).

The other disadvantage of using the streaming apps is that there are still areas with poor or no internet service - when the streaming apps won't work while the radio will be able to get signal (especially XM).

If Tesla would upgrade the streaming apps to include live sports - then streaming should be an acceptable replacement to the radio - and something Tesla could do on all new vehicles.

But until Tesla upgrades the built-in apps or provides screen mirroring, the radio is still useful.

While we'd consider spending $2500 on a 3 year old vehicle to get full access to the FSD features - losing the radio is probably going to be a showstopper - and instead will stick with our plan to trade our 2017 S in for a Cybertruck.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Will you be live-streaming this, or will you post the video to YouTube? I don't want to miss this.

Seriously, with all of the nasty, negative, and slanderous comments against Tesla that some on this forum and another have made against Tesla on this topic, I am wishing we could watch each one of them eat large portions of humble pie. Apart from @Aggmeister2010, with his humorous follow-up, those who were slinging the worst of it have been conspicuously quiet for that past 24 hours.

Yep, I'll admit defeat. I still think this would have been a great thing for the aftermarket to take hold of, but if Tesla is committed to it directly, that's certainly the most seamless way to do things. And $2500 is cheaper than I expected.

One of the key components I forgot about is - I think most of the older MCU1 cars are grandfathered into unlimited premium data. If they upgrade the MCU, the likelihood of the owner also buying premium data is high, giving them a recurring revenue stream. That's a pretty attractive opportunity if you scale that to 100,000+ cars.

And this gives them an attractive plan for folks that experience the fabled eMMC memory failure on MCU1.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yep, I'll admit defeat. I still think this would have been a great thing for the aftermarket to take hold of, but if Tesla is committed to it directly, that's certainly the most seamless way to do things. And $2500 is cheaper than I expected.

One of the key components I forgot about is - I think most of the older MCU1 cars are grandfathered into unlimited premium data. If they upgrade the MCU, the likelihood of the owner also buying premium data is high, giving them a recurring revenue stream. That's a pretty attractive opportunity if you scale that to 100,000+ cars.

And this gives them an attractive plan for folks that experience the fabled eMMC memory failure on MCU1.
Except they don't have to buy premium connectivity. THey've already got it for life.

premium data.jpg

The way I read this part of the announcement is that since my car is from 2013 and has Premium Connectivity, it will continue to have that feature after the upgrade...

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy V and Akikiki
I don't blame tesla for excluding the new tuner (am/fm/Xm for mcu2). I put one in my car in my recent mcu2 retrofit and the tuner was the hardest part by far. Took like 2 hours and was awkward as heck. The bolts are very hard to get to behind the steering column. Tesla made the right choice for retrofits.

hi I have a 2017 MCU 1 ap. 2.0- FSD . If I take tesla up on thier "offer" of the retro fit of MCU2 and a " complimentary" Hardware 3 upgrade . and order the tuner 2 part at the same time . will the MCU2 recognize the new tuner 2 If I do thhat work my self? . the wiring doesn't sound too bad to do and Im willing to crawl under near the dash to swap it out( Ive doen that for replacing AC fans in other cars before) . My worry is if there was SW selection to get the MCU to recognize the the tuner 2 , or is that part plug n play?

hi I have a 2017 MCU 1 ap. 2.0- FSD . If I take tesla up on thier "offer" of the retro fit of MCU2 and a " complimentary" Hardware 3 upgrade . and order the tuner 2 part at the same time . will the MCU2 recognize the new tuner 2 If I do thhat work my self? . the wiring doesn't sound too bad to do and Im willing to crawl under near the dash to swap it out( Ive doen that for replacing AC fans in other cars before) . My worry is if there was SW selection to get the MCU to recognize the the tuner 2 , or is that part plug n play?

On the same boat, owning the exact same config. The answer remains to be seen. We will see which config they will leave the cars at after first retrofits are done. One camp says there won't be a separate config for old tuner-no radio. One camp says they will create a config for old tuner-no radio, hence our retrofit requiring a change in config.