Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, Bill Clinton, now your changing the definition of the word "upgrade"? How are the the BMW Nav computer and display screens not "factory built upgrades"??

But fine, you've dig your hole for everyone to see, so I'm fine with that.

I wouldn't trust a Tesla engineer for the "final word" on anything not Tesla engineering related.

That said, I'm sure he'll confirm, in his capacity, what the rest of of us are trying to tell you.
I did not have “electronics upgrades” with that car. It all depends on what your definition of is is.

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Ok, Bill Clinton, now your changing the definition of the word "upgrade"? How are the the BMW Nav computer and display screens not "factory built upgrades"??

oh man do I hate wading into internet quarrels, but here we go...

I’m with Aggmeister. The distinction is between parts designed to help sell new cars that are plug and play with older cars because it is more engineering work to make them incompatible versus a car company spending money and engineering resources to make new incompatible parts compatible with older cars to modernize them.

of course there are times where other carmakers are in the first scenario. I don’t know if any other times where another car company has chosen the second, and wouldn’t expect there to be. I could be wrong.

MCU2 is not plug and play with MCU1 cars as we all know. I doubt the profit on the upgrades will cover the dev/testing spend, but could be wrong on this too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ekendahl
I doubt the profit on the upgrades will cover the dev/testing spend, but could be wrong on this too.
I think they will make money on this.

Being a developer myself, and having done similar tasks, I doubt they spent much more than 1 developer 2-4 weeks testing this. Like verygreen did, they likely had it working the first day, and time was mostly spent on QA and writing the internal procedures. Plus maybe a day or two for writing the Merge Request for disabling the radio if it's not connected.

Likely there was little software adaption assuming it's written OK. Meaning they spent maybe 15 000 - 25 000$ on development. Assuming one MCU2 has a self-cost of around 500$ in equipment, they should earn about 1500$ on one replacement, meaning they just need to replace 10 - 20 units before the upgrade is cash positive.

Assuming the labor time doesn't replace other labor tasks that would earn them more money.

Reactions: captjoemcd
My 2017 S has been upgraded from MCU1>MCU2. I had Unlimited connectivity before the upgrade and still have it.

I'm with you Hank. He keeps moving the goal posts. I'm not going to even comment on what he trying to say or saying. He doesn't get it and doesn't know what's offered what's retained. And I don't care if he get it later. Not worth the investment in time and words.

I'm with you Hank. He keeps moving the goal posts. I'm not going to even comment on what he trying to say or saying. He doesn't get it and doesn't know what's offered what's retained. And I don't care if he get it later. Not worth the investment in time and words.

Thanks for your support. I re-read the posts and I'm still befuddled at the argument.

I emailed a Tesla engineer for their final word, I’ll post that when i get it.

Still waiting..... although I'm not sure what a Tesla engineer's "final word" will confirm or deny.

I've confirmed that in 2020.8.x firmwares, there's a new car configuration line that enables/disables the new tuner for mcu2. That's how tesla is going to manage retrofits - so it won't be as easy as just wiring the new tuner and expecting it to work with mcu2 - you'll also need a way to change the car configuration on the gateway to change the configuration to enable tuner. BTW - it's counterintuitive, but, this is how Tesla is DISABLING the tuner:

Tesla will add "ethernettunertype 1" to the car's configuration and to revert you need to change it to "0", or just delete the line.

I know, strange that disabling it is "1", and enabling the tuner is "0", but that's what it is.

Interesting.

If I understand the situation correctly, the AM/FM tuner (tuner0) has an analog output that goes into an analog input in MCU1. Whereas the new FM only tuner (tuner1) (+/- XM radio) has a digital output.

Is the digital stream from tuner1 on a separate bus or on the in car Ethernet bus ?

Interesting.

If I understand the situation correctly, the AM/FM tuner (tuner0) has an analog output that goes into an analog input in MCU1. Whereas the new FM only tuner (tuner1) (+/- XM radio) has a digital output.

Is the digital stream from tuner1 on a separate bus or on the in car Ethernet bus ?
The digital tuner/FM uses a connector on its new car/MCU2 wiring harness to plug into a ethernet-twisted pair (not RJ45 type) new on the back of MCU2 that does not exist on MCU1.

So how do we get around the lack of the matching wiring/connector on MCU1 cars if its only on MCU2 car's/harness. It will have to be fabricated and installed. Teslatap.com figured out the specs and made a cable. He sent the first to me, and I installed it. He sells a few and you can find the specs and where to buy his on his article on teslatap.com But there's no guarantee we will ever get the radio enabled, but if so, we are ready.