Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a profitability point of view upgrading CPO cars with MCU2 hardware would make sense. No need to disclose the actual cost of the procedure, whilst cashing in on the (percieved) value increase.
Brings in a stack of refurbishable MCU1 systems for future warranty cases and repairs.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Am I naive for thinking that the lack of a retrofit option by Tesla is just temporary? I would think practically speaking that they aren't likely to keep inventory of the current MCU for the length of current warranties and it would be easier for them to come up with a solution for the new MCU to be used for warranty fixes and then possibly offer said solution to the public?

Maybe it is just my own wishful thinking, but it feels like their current response is just buying time.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Am I naive for thinking that the lack of a retrofit option by Tesla is just temporary? I would think practically speaking that they aren't likely to keep inventory of the current MCU for the length of current warranties and it would be easier for them to come up with a solution for the new MCU to be used for warranty fixes and then possibly offer said solution to the public?

Maybe it is just my own wishful thinking, but it feels like their current response is just buying time.

Why would the MCU be different than any other part that has been redesigned? They need to keep them available for many years. I'm sure it is much cheaper to just keep repairing failed MCUs and keeping a stock of remanufactured ones to use for warranty support than to design a retro fit.

Reactions: davidc18
Tesla expects you to get a new car to get the new MCU. The corporate history in regards to "upgrades" is very poor. Be happy with the MCU you have and move on. My opinion is that including Android auto would fix almost all of the issues people have with the old, slow MCU.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Why would the MCU be different than any other part that has been redesigned? They need to keep them available for many years. I'm sure it is much cheaper to just keep repairing failed MCUs and keeping a stock of remanufactured ones to use for warranty support than to design a retro fit.
As the board the Tegra3 SoC sits on what is likely a standard PCIe bus, and in all likelihood the Intel SoC is sitting right there as well, the retrofit should be pretty plug and play rather than needing much "design". Also, antenna connectors on PCBs are usually standardized, so it's very likely the Intel PCB could be hooked up to the existing (2.4GHz) antenna making a more complex cable/antenna/mirror retrofit unnecessary. Wouldn't get 5GHz and external BT but I wouldn't mind.

As the board the Tegra3 SoC sits on what is likely a standard PCIe bus, and in all likelihood the Intel SoC is sitting right there as well, the retrofit should be pretty plug and play rather than needing much "design". Also, antenna connectors on PCBs are usually standardized, so it's very likely the Intel PCB could be hooked up to the existing (2.4GHz) antenna making a more complex cable/antenna/mirror retrofit unnecessary. Wouldn't get 5GHz and external BT but I wouldn't mind.

From what we can tell they have changed lots on the MCU. The screen is even a different resolution. I doubt the same CPU daughterboard would just drop-in in place of the Tegra one. But in any case Tesla has said they aren't going to offer a retrofit, while they did for the upgrade from the 3G board to the LTE board. (Obviously the LTE board was designed as a direct replacement.)

I think we should stop worrying over the MCU retrofit, and continue to voice our displeasement with the old MCU software. The browser is still a joke of a software component. If a 2009 iPhone can run an internet browser more smooth than our vehicles, I believe a quick little overhaul of the browser application would deem fit. Navigation smoothness would be a plus, but being blunt here, I think most of the people wanting this upgrade are doing it as a result of the browser lag.
I mean heck, the browser doesn't even support demanding video and interactive content plugins. Literally a text and image browser only...HTML is lightweight.

Hell if they really wanted to, I'm sure an overclock profile could be programmed to the MCU when the browser is under load- if it is not already..
As we just saw with the .4 update, software enhancements can be key to many issues computers experience now days.

Reactions: Guy V
I think we should stop worrying over the MCU retrofit, and continue to voice our displeasement with the old MCU software. The browser is still a joke of a software component.

Maybe you should wait until the MCU1 cars get a newer update... The new browser didn't come to the MCU2 units until 2018.10.1/2. It is very possible that the it just hasn't made it to MCU1 yet. (Just like there isn't even a browser in the Model 3 yet and it has the equivalent of the MCU2.)

What we need is a mirror tear down of cars with the upgraded vanity mirrors and the old MCU.

Any thoughts on whether they would have the new wiring and antennas, but had the last few old MCUs installed?
This is the closest we’ve come to a tear down of a new side mirror with new antennas.
2017 Tesla Model S M3 Left LH Exterior Mirror Premium Power 1110777-99-d | eBay
I posted it somewhere and thought it was for model S (as the title states), but upon closer inspection I’ve realized it’s for Model 3!

Any thoughts on whether they would have the new wiring and antennas, but had the last few old MCUs installed?

You really can't change one without the other. That would imply they have a third wiring harness design for new antennas and mirrors, and an old MCU for what, a dozen interim cars? Besides, MCU1 can't even support 5G Wifi. The wiring harnesses are made separate from the car, they're not made ad-hoc on the assembly line.

I think most of the people wanting this upgrade are doing it as a result of the browser lag.

Not true, I don't use the browser at all while driving, but I would be ready to pay an MCU1->MCU2 upgrade to have the comfort of the fast navigation/fast response UI we have seen on MCU2/Model3 videos.

Zoom-in/zoom-out/scrolling at 60fps in nav maps at the speed of MCU2 is so delightful & attractive.

Not true, I don't use the browser at all while driving, but I would be ready to pay an MCU1->MCU2 upgrade to have the comfort of the fast navigation/fast response UI we have seen on MCU2/Model3 videos.

Zoom-in/zoom-out/scrolling at 60fps in nav maps at the speed of MCU2 is so delightful & attractive.

Agree 100% with Kristo. And I would hope for a discount since I missed MCU2 by a single production day or so, but would consider (very grudgingly) paying full. Ugh!

I think everyone can agree that the factor here is responsiveness. No one will use a device that on paper has all the specs to do it's job but has a ux lag which makes it feel inappropriate.

I mean, heck, 66% of the time the lag in interaction with the screen is so big it makes me wonder if there WAS an interaction triggered or not!

This has actually been the case with the whole Tegra line of SoCs from Nvidia. The first Tegras we showcased on heavily optimized reference designs running HD movies on tablets back in the day. The tablet based on it I got a year later couldn't run HD clips and was laggy as hell. No surprise Qualcomm and others conquered the market and the only tegrabased devices to ever see commercial success were Nvidias own products.

With the current state of the software I would not want to pay for an upgrade. I say this completely respectful to those who are frustrated with a comparatively sluggish UI.

But what does concern me and where I think Tesla should offer a solution to legacy owners is if the transition from Tegra to Intel is foreshadowing the availability of better phone integration, app mirroring, or CarPlay. If such a feature were contingent upon the presence of the newer unit then it would be really annoying considering Elon had tweeted that scene mirroring would be available some two years ago.